Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in my room yesterday when a father and daughter walked by. She was talking about my house when the dad pointed out the graveyard. "Look at the graveyard"... she paused and looked at him and asked "Who died??"

heheheh

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
One summer day, many years ago, my wife noticed, from the upstairs Kitchen window, a car pulled over on the opposite side of the road. In it the driver was gesturing at our house, talking and laughing. The passenger, another guy, was seen nodding, laughing and shaking his head. They were there for at least three minutes before they drove off. The wife was curious, but deduced that they must have been discussing the Haunted House from eight months before then.

You do it right,it makes a lasting impression on people.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,641 Posts
I always take some time on Halloween night during TOT hours to just stand on the walk in front of our house and listen to the comments. It's also a chance to visit with some of the neighbors and folks who come every year that I've come to recognize. It's usually stuff like "this is always the best house", "I can't believe how much they do for Halloween", etc..Those little comments are like being paid to set up the display.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is what I find amazing

This is what I find amazing. You live on the street for the entire yesr. Maybe sitting out front in the summer having a cool beverage, enjoying the weather and watching the cars drive by. BUT as soon as you start decorating, all those cars that drove by earlier in the year now slow down to see what you are doing and you now are everybody's freind.:)

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
I don't know if it was the hard economic times last year or what, but people seemed to really be happy that someone took the time to put up something for the neighborhood. People weren't as much complimentary as much as they expressed thankfulness last year. The other thing I saw was two little girls a few days before Halloween discussing what everything was and how it worked. Then a few hours later one of the girls had brought her grandma to show her the cemetery. I chuckled pretty good at that. :D

·
Registered
436 Posts
When we were doing a haunt at the duplex, after the 1st one my ex girlfriend was staying over and came out after I went to work. 2 small boys stared at her...one said "You're coming out of that house?" She said "Yea-why?" "Thats where monsters live!"
hehehehe
And the next year, we were having a Yule party, and a few guests were outside smoking...a group of teens crossed the road heading for a house, and my friend heard one say"Dude...thats the scary house".
Of course, it might have been the light up Pentacle I put up for Solstice.

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
i did a haunt in a trailor for about three years. one day a school bus driver told me eveytime he passed my trailor the real little kids would get quiet and say, that's the house that is haunted. it's real scary.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I am sure our house has a varying array of thoughts from kick ass to demented. All the kids in the neighborhood come by multiple times daily to check out the house and have been told its referred to as the spook house. One lady stopped by in the daytime and said she is afraid to walk by the house at night and will walk to the other side of the street to avoid it although she loves it (strange).

·
Registered
574 Posts
Nothing beats having the school bus stopped for traffic and seeing virtually every window down with a young kid's head hanging out (and some arms, and one kid who was half out the window) all laughing and pointing out the graveyard with excitement when it went up in the first week of October.

Craig

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have two. About four years ago, I set up my cemetery at a friends house for thier Halloween party the weekend before the big day. I saw a dad walking by with his son (probably six or eight years old), and heard the son say, "Dad, is that a real graveyard"? LOL
Last year, I had a lady pull up in her mini van and ask "Does somebody actually live here"?
I considered both a huge compliment!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,487 Posts
Best comment I overheard - two little boys that were walking down the sidewalk after TOTing and looking at everything.

Boy1: This is the best house on the block.
Boy2: No, this is the best house in the neighborhood!
:D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I always take some time on Halloween night during TOT hours to just stand on the walk in front of our house and listen to the comments. It's also a chance to visit with some of the neighbors and folks who come every year that I've come to recognize. It's usually stuff like "this is always the best house", "I can't believe how much they do for Halloween", etc..Those little comments are like being paid to set up the display.
"Those little comments are like getting paid..." That is exactally how I feel. It brings a smile to my face every time!!! The comments alone are what makes it all worth it!

I also had a friend help me with the PVC candles and she told me that she felt like a kid coming over to my house (she's 33). that too is why I go a bit over the top. fill the imaginations of the kids and bring back the joy to the adults!! LOVE IT!!!:D

·
Pirate of the Puget Sound
715 Posts
We have a corner house that is very visible when the school kids go to and from school. One girl came up to me while I was working on the display and told me frankly, "Of all the houses in the neighborhood, your house is the best one on Halloween! I love coming to your house to Trick 'n Treat."

But perhaps the best form of praise is silence. Several days after I had set up my pirate ship, one girl on the way home from school stopped in front of the display motionless and just starred at all of the props for several minutes, her mouth unable to move.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had a family tell me last year that they had actually moved away from my neighborhood but came back just to see what we had done for Halloween! They said that coming to our house is their family Halloween tradition....I nearly cried :)

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
A couple years back, I decided to have a change of costume on Halloween night and dressed as a hunchback, complete with Charles Laughton mask, wig and tights, capering around outside and leading TOT's into the haunt.
One of the young TOT's asked me "Hey mister...where's the scary man with the top hat and the horrible face"...

I wouldn't mind, but I don't even wear much make up!!....:mad:

:D

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,641 Posts
I have to add this story to the thread. Last year we made up little orange slips of paper with a small thank you note to our visitors for coming to visit. We stapled one to each candy bar, all 600 of them!
http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/73520-show-your-appreciation.html

A week after Halloween, we received a small note in the mail addressed simply to "The caretakers of the Halloween House". It was a thank you card from an unknown person letting us know how much they appreciate the lengths we go to in order to make happy Halloween memories for so many people. It also said they look forward o coming each year to see what we have done.
http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/74748-warm-fuzzies-one-week-later.html

It was the absolute highest form of compliment we ever got, not that we even look for them as we enjoy it so much. I truly believe that people appreciate the things all of us do for Halloween. We keep the holiday alive and make it fun. We raise the bar every year and produce haunts and displays that rival professional efforts. Anyone can string Xmas lights but no other holiday than Halloween allows for such creativity and pure fun!

·
Zombie Hunter
20,479 Posts
I get alot of compliments when I hang around outside but my favorite comment was one year I was in costume and 2 older ladies didnt notice I was a real person.They said if I do ALL this for halloween they cant wait to see my xmas display.I laughed thinking "BOY WILL THEY BE DISAPPOINTED"

·
Registered
396 Posts
I had a family tell me last year that they had actually moved away from my neighborhood but came back just to see what we had done for Halloween! They said that coming to our house is their family Halloween tradition....I nearly cried :)
And thats whats its all about :D

1 - 20 of 47 Posts