Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've started working on the layout for my 2014 garage haunt and came to ask myself a question that I'm curious about how other folks proceed.

When developing your lawn/garage haunts, do you typically develop or work from a central theme, or just put together a jumble of areas that seem frightening to a variety of people, even if they are mostly unrelated?

I tend to work on a layout to maximize my garage space for the haunt, and then try to fill in those spaces with scary stuff. But I'm really thinking about trying to develop a theme to tie it all together. Thoughts?

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
It's your haunt. If you want a theme, go for it. If you want to just throw a bunch of cool stuff together, go for it.

It's all about layout and flow for me...story is a distant 27th on the list

·
lies dead but dreaming
952 Posts
Really comes down to what matters most to you. For me it's having a haunt and loads of ToTs and having fun. every thing else can sit and simmer. if your story is what you want on top do it. if it's the theme go all out! but have fun with it and enjoy the holiday.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much for all the great responses! I've been doing this for several years now, and am constantly learning new things. We had around 700 in attendance last year, so word is definitely out in my area and I just don't want to disappoint when they show up again this year!

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,099 Posts
Since my haunt is more of an annual party, theme and story are always first on my list.
I'm with vampy on this one, for sure!
Pretty much that ^.

Everyone has their own MO, and like most, I can appreciate just about all haunt as a celebration of the season....however, having lived down the street from Disney World all of my life, I'm pretty partial to theming.

For us, every year will have a theme for the party and it applies to the yard as well. Most of the time, it is also generally inspired a single image/song/prop that gets stuck in my head on an infernal loop.

For example, last year we had no idea what we were going to do for a theme until I ran across this guy:

Violinist.jpg

Next thing you know, I'm obsessed with the image, filling my notebooks with related sketches, and designing a prop inspired by it, and putting out a 'traditional' graveyard for the first time in several years just to give him an environment that makes sense.

So, all of a sudden, the entire haunt, all music, projection selections, etc. is being built around this:

Violinist (Day).JPG

So, for me, I guess one single image, or some other piece of art (film, song, etc.) will invariably plant the seed that becomes my Halloween Tree.
:)

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
Wow.
Very striking painting.

For me, In eight years, I've done 8 layouts, and zero stories/themes. We've got too much stuff and too many square feet to fill to have it all conform to a single theme.

I've racked my brain for years to come up with a cohesive back story for our collection of decorations and props with no luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
Abunai
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing