Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We host an annual Halloween party and so far the focus has been on costumes and decor, but we've left our regular light bulbs in. For this year, we'd like to dim the lights a bit to make our home feel more castle-like. Not spooky (we're doing Harry Potter), just warm and more mysterious. What color would you recommend. Red? We'll also have the floating candles, so maybe with softer light they'd be more noticeable.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm, I do like the suggestions. In the end I went to Michaels (minimal stock, walked away with one turquoise spotlight only that I'm still iffy about keeping). Home depot didn't have much and the bulbs are like $10 a piece. This kind of stuff can get expensive in Canada :( Not sure what to do. We do have a magic show for kids that requires the area to be relatively well lit during show, but really would like to get a different effect this year with lighting seeing as I'm not going as crazy with decor etc.

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,791 Posts
For the inside of a castle I would be more inclined to go with orange/amber lighting to simulate candle light or the light from a fireplace. I really like the greens and blues for castle outside walls. Perhaps you can locate some flickering bulbs or create your own. There was a tutorial long ago on building your own flicker circuit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Both color schemes are gorgeous! It's instructive for me to see how much the lighting brings out the textures, too. I think the blue and magenta manages to look both cold and indoor at the same time. Plus the orange fire light of the sconce really stands out against the blue and magenta.

1,440 Posts
Some time back someone posted about a LED outdoor light on a lightening deal at amazon, LedMart 50wRGB 50W Waterproof Outdoor Security LED Flood Light Spotlight. It was relatively inexpensive and the colored light it casts could be changed with the push of the remote. I've noticed the price has gone up but maybe something similar can be found cheaper.

A secondary thought might be flicker bulbs. Yes they can be spendy. I watch for strings of the small based flicker lights at after the holiday sales. A few years ago Big Lots had standard bulb based flicker bulbs at a very good price.

Stiltbeast has a great utube video on making LED candles if you are the good with tools type. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-amFwO_FogY

·
Registered
27 Posts
How does one get the two-color lighting like in pumpkinpie's pictures? Have one color coming from one direction and the other from a different angle?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Happy to say I found $2 bulbs of various colors (yellow, green, blue and red only). Did get some and have been playing around a bit. Will see, may end up going with blue mostly as we doing harry potter and will have a goblet of fire. That would offset the floating candles very nicely. Then again I have this orange vision in my head now, the red is too intense, yellow too bright, so will have to keep my eyes open as it's not a standard option year round here in Canada it seems. Will also get a flickering bulb to see if it's too bright, would love that effect.

Now if only I had the scene setters up on the walls, I could really get into this!

·
Registered
530 Posts
If you're unsure of what colors you want to use, I would suggest getting a few RGB LED floodlights and experiment with different color combinations. These are the ones we've been using and have been great:

http://amzn.to/2pDWgGC

You can change the color, so no need to buy different colored bulbs, and they don't get hot (LEDs don't get very hot - also energy efficient). They're a cost effective purchase, and we've been buying a few more every year. An added plus is they're weatherproof, so you can use them outside, if needed.

Going from regular house lighting to *any* colored lighting is going to make a huge difference in the ambience of your room.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts