Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Extension cords..3 output splitters...power strips...rope light...miniature light strings...remote controls...

Sadly...they don't carry surplus like they used to, so the fantastic deals are gone...but there's still stuff to get at "reasonable" prices.

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
I picked up a few sets of the battery powered LED strings from dollar tree. There's three designs but the decorative parts can be removed so you'll just have a plain set of lights. I'm just looking at things in a how-can-I-corpse-them sort of way.

I actually have better luck picking up string lights at yard sales and flea markets.

·
Registered
652 Posts
In addition to many of the items already noted, I've been known to purchase specialty light strands (I once got great deal on one that lets you switch between fading/chaser/etc. settings), twinkle plugs, and electric candles. I've heard of people buying silver ornaments to recreate the spheres from the "Phantasm" films and there have been too many modifications of Christmas animatronics into Halloween deocrations to name. That reminds me, has the famous
"Douglas Fir Talking Christmas Tree" ever been re-released?

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
I'll be buying a small tree for more ornaments this year.

I had a little wooden "earring tree" that looks like a Christmas tree, that I picked up at a flea market. Originally, I was going to make a Halloween tree out of it, but it's really too small. I also found a perfect set of hollyberry lights (battery op) at Goodwill that fit the tree, so now it's a Christmas tree.

I have a larger ornament stand for Halloween--it doesn't look like a tree at all, but that's its purpose. I think I'd like one that does look like a tree too, though--and paint it black or deep purple.

clear plastic wreath hangers used to come in really handy, before Command hooks came out.

I agree with all of the electrical supply items like solar stakes, foot switches, flood light stakes, etc. Especially if they have green cords! Oh, and the C7 cords that go in the little houses, I've never bought one for Christmas, always for Halloween, but I only see them for sale with Christmas items.

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
I agree with all of the electrical supply items like solar stakes, foot switches, flood light stakes, etc. Especially if they have green cords! Oh, and the C7 cords that go in the little houses, I've never bought one for Christmas, always for Halloween, but I only see them for sale with Christmas items.
I agree about the C7 cords. I managed to find a few at Dollar Tree when they were first putting out their Christmas stuff both this year and last. They seem to disappear after that.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Just yesterday I removed my Christmas lights that had been up for So Many years (dead-crapped out junk, of course) Vines smothered the lights,so I was clipping vines too to remove the nest that was tight to the old 1870 wooden siding (rot maker!)
Two years ago I electrified my side yard so now we have numerous outlets to power any strings of lights at the edge of the property...
If I went nuts and strung lights along the spouting on this old, high house , those lights would be rotting off because Winter winds, ice, snow and ladders don't "Mix" with the main electrical service being on that same side of the house, with a sidewalk waiting to catch me too.
(I am sorry, but I have always doubted the sanity of people extremely decorating the outside of their house in the Winter months who have snow, wind freezing rain and need a long ladder to make it happen.)
I can erect or take down my Halloween things whenever the sun is shining and the wind Not blowing. This is zoned Commercial= few complaints, no viable complaints about "decorations".

·
Creepin' It Real
2,038 Posts
I've stocked up over the years on simple round Christmas tree ornaments in purple, black, and silver. They will be used as background ornamentation in my upcoming Monsters' Ball (masquerade) and Four Funerals & A Wedding (black widow) themes, if I ever manage to get those displays up.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I buy angels and crosses or any ornate decorations that can be glued to tombstones. Dollar General sells an ornament of heavy resin wings that would fit perfectly on the little string skellys you see everywhere.....problem is I can never find my skellys/wings at the same time so I haven't put them together yet :)

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Saw these lights tonight at TARGET -- 10 ct Alternating Glass Bulb String Lights (red and green Edison style) -- while shopping for old fashioned C9 strands to frost protect our plants. I don't particularly have an idea for the green Edison bulbs in the strand, but think the red bulbs would be useful on mad lab projects or as flashing red warning lights of some kind. Probably rig something with 5 red bulbs and run the other 5 green bulbs on an under or backside of a panel or something like that.

I've seen the clear Edison bulbs of this form before but not colored ones, so if this interests you I'd suggest picking them up soon before they are bought out for the season. Never know if they will be sold next year.

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
I can't seem to find a picture of it online, but I bought a set of three plug-in outlets at Walmart with a remote that controls each one separately. Haven't taken it out of the package yet so I don't know how well it works.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I haven't found anything this year but you guys are giving me lots of ideas! I saw a Christmas village today at Goodwill and should have bought a few pieces to make my own Halloween village! They were really small pieces though so the thought didn't even cross my mind.

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Hey, those Xmas/Winter Polar Bear globe-styled Coca Cola bottles (sold only at this time of year) have some prop possiblities. Obvious one is painting it black and adding a wick to a cut-off bottle top. Acme and Roadrunner come to mind along those same lines.

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
These plastic ornaments were on sale today at Michaels for 59 cents each. I am going to use them in a cowboy's "bubble bath" for my Western theme this year, and then make them into ornaments for Christmas.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts