Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am writing a proposal for new audio for the professional haunt that I help out with and I am looking for ideas on audio sources. I have a few specific requirements for the sources though.

They run off SD card or USB stick.
They must have built in amp (min 25W x 2 prefer 40w x 2) or be cheap enough that powered speakers becomes viable
Must start automatically when powered and loop.
Would prefer to start over at beginning of card when powered, but if it goes back to where it was that is alright also.
Must sound good!
Normal audio lengths will be around 20 - 45 min loops.

I would prefer something that has triggered inputs but that is a very low priority.

I am currently looking at the Gilderfluke SD-25 on the high end and on the low end these amps from Deal Extreme.

I am pretty sure the ones from Deal Extreme will work for what I need but I am just not sure about their reliability and flexibility. Of course these are so cheap I could probably get away with replacing them often if need but I would rather not have to worry about it!

So what I am looking for from everyone here are suggestions on what you use for your haunts? And remember a picture is worth a thousand words! Also anyone who has used the second item I linked to please let me know what you think.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
The Deal Extreme amps can be found for less on ebay. I have 4 of them, which I no longer use because the quality wasn't that great - a lot of distortion at mid-high volumes - but I got them for $9 each.

This is what I upgraded to: http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PVA3U/60-Watts-Hi-Fi-Mini-Amplifier-USBSD-Card-Player and it does everything that you asked for for $80 (although I've found them on sale for about half).

·
Undertaker
3,176 Posts
I'm a big fan of Walmart brand CD players . They are cheap, disposalable and the operating instructions are only a single page thick. I can even understand them in Spanish.

·
Registered
438 Posts

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
I suspect that you're looking for a more professional type of setup.
With my home haunt, though, I had a good experience this year, with "Soundmill" software running on a laptop. A ten port USB hub, and several USB audio adapters with cables running to powered speakers.
I only had 5 zones this year that needed their own ambient audio, but this setup will handle up to 10 different zones.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I suspect that you're looking for a more professional type of setup.
With my home haunt, though, I had a good experience this year, with "Soundmill" software running on a laptop. A ten port USB hub, and several USB audio adapters with cables running to powered speakers.
I only had 5 zones this year that needed their own ambient audio, but this setup will handle up to 10 different zones.
The AMP I mentioned above would handle 8 zones and I'm running a Delta 10/10 card with 10 audio outputs. You can in many different programs (I use cuBase) assign different effects or ambient sound to any of those 10 zones and get 1000w peak to each zone.

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
The AMP I mentioned above would handle 8 zones and I'm running a Delta 10/10 card with 10 audio outputs. You can in many different programs (I use cuBase) assign different effects or ambient sound to any of those 10 zones and get 1000w peak to each zone.
I took a look on Ebay.
That is pretty sweet, and for a very decent price.
I'd be tempted to get it if I hadn't just bought the stuff I described this year. :)
I'll bookmark this page in case I decide to upgrade.

·
Registered
366 Posts
mail.jpg
OMG! That's over $2,000.00 ! That's grounds for divorce!
I know. I know. I didn't spend quite that much but it gets worse - I have a couple more of them. The Home Haunt kind of grew wings and got away from me. I realized there might be a problem when the mailman left a whole tub by the door one day. That is why I immediately skipped over the rack mount gear, boards and software mentioned above (well ok I did look twice at that 8000 watt amp on EBay). Anyway this is a thread is to discuss audio sources and not my mental condition : - )

amps.jpg

·
Registered
438 Posts
I realized there might be a problem when the mailman left a whole tub by the door one day.

Sounds like my eBay addiction and my pneumatic Cylinder shopping...

The only reason I'm looking at that amp is I'm trying to keep everything inside the same rack my computer is in... I was originally looking at the same AMPs that Brent at DC uses but then realized don't have the room and 8 channels will last me years since I'm doing a display and not a walk through.

I have a 4u space for that 8000w AMP right between the PC and the voice processors... as you can see my wife has banished me to the closet!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Sounds like my eBay addiction and my pneumatic Cylinder shopping...

The only reason I'm looking at that amp is I'm trying to keep everything inside the same rack my computer is in... I was originally looking at the same AMPs that Brent at DC uses but then realized don't have the room and 8 channels will last me years since I'm doing a display and not a walk through.

I have a 4u space for that 8000w AMP right between the PC and the voice processors... as you can see my wife has banished me to the closet!!!
That blank space is embarrasing! You better pull the trigger and get it : - )

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Russell, would love to come check out your equipment one day. Im in Joshua south of Fort Worth. Had my first garage haunt this year. But want to improve next year.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hey Russell, would love to come check out your equipment one day. Im in Joshua south of Fort Worth. Had my first garage haunt this year. But want to improve next year.
Sorry but there wouldn't be much to see. Everything is in storage. Instead we should all go to janddjbarry's house and play with the new amp. You think his wife would be OK with a bunch of stragers he met on the internet in her closet?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
... my last Wal-Mart small cassette tape player still works...it only provides a voice for a skeleton coming out of the closet. (Not a sexual ref. but that is what he does)
Sounds of a creaky 1870 inn along with any oral noises I sometimes make, along with the occasionally scurrying sounds above their heads when they are seeing the basement from our pets is all there is to usually to be heard here.
"Do you have speakers in this house? Was that a special effect?'"
" I do have a few, cheap, tinny speakers here, so we know what we are hearing." (Cheap sound reproduction that sounds like cheaply reproduced attempted sounds)
This short conversation took place right after all three of us just heard a very beautiful female singing voice in the wine cellar at approx. 2AM.
To me it seemed to be coming from the stone arched ceiling in the first 10 feet of the arch, from maybe 15 feet ahead of me?
It would have been a shame if some sound system had obscured this event.
It sounded like "Opera" to me.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Sorry but there wouldn't be much to see. Everything is in storage. Instead we should all go to janddjbarry's house and play with the new amp. You think his wife would be OK with a bunch of stragers he met on the internet in her closet?
Well I can't speak for her but I know I'D prefer that to a bunch of strangers SHE met on the internet hiding in the the closet when I get home... lmao

1 - 20 of 20 Posts