Halloween Forum banner

121 - 140 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Strange, I've noticed houses putting out decorations, or small displays, that never did before.
Same here.

Someone had mentioned that as a byproduct of all adult parties canceling. I’m going under the assumption it’s going to be a big ToT year with lots of “older” kids participating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I don’t mean to derail the topic, but I had a question- last night I had friendly trespassers in my driveway.
Hmmm. That DOES sort of look a lot like an entrance. Maybe put some yellow caution tape up for TOT.

Then again - people are unpredictable and not always too bright. I've had parents actually lift their small children over my cemmy fence so that the tykes could run around my set-up. WTF?!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I don’t mean to derail the topic, but I had a question- last night I had friendly trespassers in my driveway. Apparently a family wanted to get a better look at my setup, and were in my driveway and on my porch. Made me a little uneasy, as we had our cars in the driveway, and not a lot of room to move around. The kids were young, so I didn’t have the heart to ask them to stay on the sidewalk, but I don’t know what would possess the parents to allow the kids and themselves onto my property? My husband seems to think that the pillars look like an entrance onto the lawn ( although they stayed in the driveway). My little site page clearly states that the haunt is visible from the street and sidewalk. Not sure what I should do? So far an isolated incident, which brings me to the next question- I was going to have the candy on a old fashioned farm stand cart that I made, but now I am thinking that it may get “swarmed” and all the candy taken in one fail swoop. Not sure still if there will be a good amount of tot’ers, but I may go to the chute system like so many of you are going with. I’m torn now.
I would do as the other poster said and put caution tape where you dont want TOTs. Since you put out such a large display I would also expect you will get a large amount of TOTs and they will most likely swarm. I would do the chute idea.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don’t mean to derail the topic, but I had a question- last night I had friendly trespassers in my driveway. Apparently a family wanted to get a better look at my setup, and were in my driveway and on my porch. Made me a little uneasy, as we had our cars in the driveway, and not a lot of room to move around. The kids were young, so I didn’t have the heart to ask them to stay on the sidewalk, but I don’t know what would possess the parents to allow the kids and themselves onto my property? My husband seems to think that the pillars look like an entrance onto the lawn ( although they stayed in the driveway). My little site page clearly states that the haunt is visible from the street and sidewalk. Not sure what I should do? So far an isolated incident, which brings me to the next question- I was going to have the candy on a old fashioned farm stand cart that I made, but now I am thinking that it may get “swarmed” and all the candy taken in one fail swoop. Not sure still if there will be a good amount of tot’ers, but I may go to the chute system like so many of you are going with. I’m torn now.
We had a similar situation but it was an older couple taking video and pictures of our displays and they were all over our front lawn waking around. Luckily my husband boxed out where all the wires and cords are so no one can trip.
My husbands was spooked when he walk out to grab some food and saw people standing around in the dark. Lol

I definitely think you farm stand will be swarmed by kids and candy won’t last.
I decided to do a table with goody bags and refill as they go.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Oh, and if you need to use that entrance yourself until TOT night, you can use Velcro to attach one side of the caution tape(s) and put it up and down as needed.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think if it happens again, I’ll put up a little sign or the caution tape. Hopefully it’s an isolated incident. I think most people have enough common sense not to do that lol. Definitely for Halloween, that will be blocked off.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I’m thinking maybe you can tie treat bags on the fence line in front of the house so people don’t need to walk up to the cart or the pillars & then maybe move the cart in between the pillars with pumpkins / decor to block the perceived entrance. Keeps the candy on the sidewalk side & hopefully the people off the lawn. Good Luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
I was thinking of doing that with the cart. Still toying with ideas, but that is a good one!
I have another section of fence from the original configuration last year. I’ll probably just put that up and seal off the fence. Maybe if I have time, I’ll try and make it look like a gate. A LOCKED gate lol!
I just like how open it is for me and accessible, plus with two cars parked side by side, it is much easier to open the doors the way it is now. I wonder if this is an indicator that there will be more activity on Halloween this year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We made a 60 foot long candy chute to give out candy (photo below) Now mind you, we rarely get more than ten TOTs, so crowding is not really a problem! I think the point of the candy chute is to protect the homeowner since they don't have to have close contact with the TOTs and the TOTs don't keep touching the doorbell, the doorknob, or other people's candy. So from that standpoint, even one candy chute works as intended. They aren't supposed to keep the TOTs away from each other, if that's what you meant.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We usually do a large pirate themed walkthrough, we got around 3000 kids last year and usually you can expect around 6000-7000 when it lands on a weekend like it does this year. So many people the streets are not driveable and are filled with people. 100% confident social distancing will be difficult if not impossible and everyone in our neighborhood is just going on like usual. We have decided to do the same, we will be wearing masks and gloves as well as providing masks to anyone who does not have one and requiring them on entry. In addition we are creating a hand sanitizer station at the entrance and at the exit area's of our property. We will limit the amount of people we allow to walk through and hand out candy at the end. This time we will hand out candy at the end without requiring people to walk through the walkthrough if they chose not to. We altered our audio files outside to request that people maintain social distancing and to inform them that we are limiting access to the walkthrough to one group at a time. That's really all that we can do on our side, the rest will be up to the ToT'ers and their parents to determine what they do and do not want to do.

That said, I seriously have no clue how anyone is going to be able to manage the groups. If the polls in our area are correct, roughly 38% of people can be expected to not participate this year.... Take that against 6000-7000 people then you can still have a reasonable expectation of 4000 ish people at minimum. Candy shoot? Not going to work at all... bagging each kids candy... Not gonna happen!

This is my place last year (Halloween not on a weekend day) from the streets.
View attachment 739326
View attachment 739327

-K
Arrrrrr ye best not be bringin' any shovels to be diggin' up me treasure!
That's incredible! No, social distancing is not likely.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #132 (Edited)
The solution is simple. Put up signs. I am very big on signs for Halloween night as I usually have some kind of interactive display. I have a main sign that I put out that describes the interactive parts of my attraction, and I do make it clear that it is for Halloween night only. I keep my gates closed until the big night. Even so, there are areas where I don't want people to go and I just put a chain across that area with a sign that simply says, "Keep Out."

You can easily make up signs on your computer, and then bring them to Staples to have them enlarged and laminated with a protective plastic coating so they will be OK if they get wet.

It could be that your isolated case, the family thought you had a walk through attraction. Putting a chain across that entrance with a keep out sign probably would have spoke volumes to that one family. Naturally, on Halloween night, if you chose to do so, you could invite people to see your display up close. But I understand that with the current times, that you might not want to do that.

As for candy distribution....that huge entrance with fence is screaming for a chute. So you could be in your display and TOT's could come up to that entrance. Put some paw prints or bloody footprint stickers on the ground 6 feet apart should keep the TOTs properly in line and socially distant. I, myself, am using spray chalk for this purpose and just spraying colored circles on my driveway which will lead TOT's to my garage where I have my interactive display and will hand out candy there.

Hope that helps!

We made a 60 foot long candy chute to give out candy (photo below) Now mind you, we rarely get more than ten TOTs, so crowding is not really a problem! I think the point of the candy chute is to protect the homeowner since they don't have to have close contact with the TOTs and the TOTs don't keep touching the doorbell, the doorknob, or other people's candy. So from that standpoint, even one candy chute works as intended. They aren't supposed to keep the TOTs away from each other, if that's what you meant.
That is some impressive length on that run, and the candy goes down all those twists and turns with no problems? In my case, I don't have to worry about crowding either as I am in a new home and I was already told that they don't get many TOTs for Halloween. Of course, I want to change that by introducing my Magic Mirror attraction and hopefully build it up. But between what I was informed about and the Covid crap going on, I wouldn't be surprised if I might see that number as well.

Since the Magic Mirror has a chute to deliver candy anyway, I am just going to make it longer. I don't have to worry about crowding as I am going to put out chalk markers every 9 feet on my rather long driveway. I went with 9 feet, because that is how far the fence posts are spaced and I figured I would just eye up the spot locations with the posts on the driveway. This will also allow for small groups at each spot. I will have five spots out, in addition to the area in front of the Mirror, so I can handle 6 groups at once, which I seriously doubt I will get and one time.

Diaval

·
Registered
208 Posts
Got it mostly done - just need to finish a few details. Now if only we had time to make treat bags that look like giant
That is a REALLY cool cat.

You could get lunch bags and they'd be real easy to put candy in. Also they'd roll down the slide well. Now all you need is a cat "harking up" sound when you toss one of the bags down the slide. hahahahahaha

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,382 Posts

·
Ghouls Rule
2,619 Posts
My lazy susan idea is out and now Im making a partition with a mail slot type candy bag sized to pass through. I will drop bags through the slot and it will travel out and down about 2 feet from me to an attached base the tots can access. As it travels down on the other side from me there will be a half chute like thing to keep the bag from going off path. Still deciding on final design.
So the chute idea is great but my walk thru will allow me to be essentially walled off from people.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Got it mostly done - just need to finish a few details. Now if only we had time to make treat bags that look like giant hairballs. View attachment 741147
WOW!! Now THAT is a candy chute! OMG this goes above and beyond! Impressive artistry work! The idea of transforming an old kid's slide to look like a cat's tongue? Then the eyes light up too?

This is a GREAT idea. I like that you went so far as to paint the slide red AND molded the end more to look like a tongue.

I can even see the ante being upped on this with someone creating a monster in place of the cat. Definitely some major thanks in sharing this as I am sure that some could use this idea for their display.

It is funny as when I did my Magic Mirror display, I had the chute come out of the mouth of a Jack-O-Lantern window decoration. So this definitely reminds me of that, but on a much grander scale.

The artistry is great as well. Something like this would be difficult for me to pull off, but many that are good with a paintbrush could definitely do this.

....Now all you need is a cat "harking up" sound when you toss one of the bags down the slide. hahahahahaha
Yes! Yes! This is a must do. You can use a program called Soundplant which uses the keyboard on a laptop (or notebook) computer to trigger recorded sounds of a cat meowing, hacking up a furball, etc. You can plug the computer into an amplifier with a speaker and then just trigger the sounds manually as you drop the candy down the chute. That is also a great idea to add on to this.

Great contributions to this thread! (Standing ovation, claps hands, bows in reverence).

Diaval

·
Registered
238 Posts
I can even see the ante being upped on this with someone creating a monster in place of the cat. Definitely some major thanks in sharing this as I am sure that some could use this idea for their display.

Diaval
We haven't gotten any light on it yet, so right now when you drive up pretty much all you can see at first are the eyes. Now I'm thinking that we just need some huge sets of eyes down in our yard, and a dragon face next year with a fog machine set up behind the mouth.

121 - 140 of 145 Posts