Halloween Forum banner

101 - 120 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
@vinny186 that’s my point exactly! I am all for being safe. I would hate to think anything I did put someone at risk. It’s just you can seriously make yourself bonkers the more you think about how to safely distribute candy.

·
The Haunting Girl
950 Posts
Nothing will ever be 100% safe. The idea is to minimize the risk by reducing the number of people in contact with a single treat and keeping physically far away. So only you and the person receiving the treat are touching it and by using a slide or other contraption then you reduce the risk of live aerosolized droplets from breathing/speaking (like yelling "Trick-or-treat!" or "Happy Halloween!") being passed between people.
I'm still working on how we're going to manage our treat delivery system. I've already planned on moving to the driveway which is much wider than our walkway. How exactly we hand out treats will be more difficult. I give out full-sized bars and we've always let the ToTs pick which one since we pick up a variety pack. I should have just stuck to a single type or two this year, but we've already picked up our first box. I was thinking maybe pull tickets or a menu board. If nothing else, we'll just give them a bar/bag of something and they can deal with it. It depends on how bad the cases are by Halloween.
I'll also probably be putting out bags of non-candy items as a grab & run thing for people that don't want candy or are uncomfortable with the idea. I have tons of little stuff I've gathered from over the years so I'm not spending any extra making the bags. It will likely be super popular and I don't care if kids take more than one.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It sucks but I made a decision. I decided not to decorate out front because it would cause people to come to our front door to trick or treat. I am a nurse who works in management, and recently I have been working from home, but every now and then they call me in last minute and some places I go to have high positive covid numbers. I was afraid I would put it up and a few days before Halloween they would call me in and I could be potentially infectious. I do not want to cause anyone to get sick, I also have several comorbidities and do not want to catch it either. My husband and I talked it over and the families (they all know us) with kids who live on our block, we will deliver a little package of Halloween goodies so they know we didn't forget them. Its sad but Halloween will still be around next year.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It sucks but I made a decision. I decided not to decorate out front because it would cause people to come to our front door to trick or treat. I am a nurse who works in management, and recently I have been working from home, but every now and then they call me in last minute and some places I go to have high positive covid numbers. I was afraid I would put it up and a few days before Halloween they would call me in and I could be potentially infectious. I do not want to cause anyone to get sick, I also have several comorbidities and do not want to catch it either. My husband and I talked it over and the families (they all know us) with kids who live on our block, we will deliver a little package of Halloween goodies so they know we didn't forget them. Its sad but Halloween will still be around next year.
You do what you need to do and yes, Halloween will be around next year. Personally, thank you for your service and your courage.

·
Registered
14,130 Posts
Sounds totally reasonable to be cautious to me and nice idea on the little packages. We have a few neighbors who have decorated like previously and I wonder if they are going to hand out candy. As mentioned above somewhere I think on this thread, we will do some decorating (looks like more than I first anticipated) but trying to work in the fact it's a closed down house. If at last minute we change our minds about having candy, we can run out but as of now just decorations to look at. But I totally get your thoughts. Staying safe should be number one priority and as said there will be more halloweens once we get through this one. It's hard though when you normally want to be a part of it. I had the flu one year at halloween time and it was the worst I ever felt. Really don't want to get it again; and covid and it's potential long-lasting and still unknown down-the-road effects aren't anything I want to experience either. Hope you and your family and neighbors stay safe and still find ways to enjoy the night.

·
Registered
199 Posts
We are just not doing anything. For the first time in 22 years. Last year, in the new place, we had maybe half a dozen TOTS. We used to have several hundred. Now with Covid, I feel we cannot decorate, because that would imply that we are giving out candy--not that we are at all sure there will be any more children than we had last year. A part of me is broken. Here's to a happier 2021!

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,029 Posts
Well this is the message our county in MD sent out on Oct. 2

As Halloween approaches, Montgomery County officials are offering advice on how to minimize risks associated with the event during the COVID-19 pandemic. Many of the traditional ways of celebrating do not allow people to minimize contact with non-household members so it is important to plan early and identify safer alternatives to avoid the risk of spreading COVID-19.

Due to the challenge of maintaining proper physical distancing on porches and at front doors on Halloween, traditional, door-to-door trick-or-treating is not recommended. In addition, the sharing of food through activities such as “trunk-or-treating,” where children go from car to car instead of door to door is also not recommended.

The County's current Executive Order does not allow for events or activities of more than 50 people so large Halloween gatherings, even if held outdoors, are not permitted. Carnivals, festivals, live entertainment, and haunted house attractions are not allowed unless granted a letter of approval. A letter of approval can be submitted on the County’s COVID-19 website.

To promote a safer environment for children and families, the County is recommending the following alternative ways to celebrate Halloween this year:

• Online parties/contests (e.g. costume or pumpkin carving);

• Decorating homes, yards and neighborhoods with Halloween-themed decorations;

• Car parades such as:
    • Drive-by events or contests where individuals dress up or decorate their vehicles and drive by “judges” that are appropriately physically distanced.

• Drive-in or drive-through events where individuals remain in their vehicles and drive through an area with Halloween displays. Participants can receive a treat bag (limited to commercially packaged nonperishable treats) or other takeaway item from an organizer while the participants remain in their vehicle
  • Halloween movie nights at drive-in theaters (must comply with the public health drive-in movie theater guidance);

• Halloween-themed meals at outdoor restaurants (must comply with the restaurant protocol); and

• Halloween-themed art installations at an outdoor museum (must comply with the public health museum guidance).
Regardless of how you choose to celebrate Halloween, it is important to:

• correctly wear a cloth face covering to prevent disease spread when outside your home and around others that are not part of your household;

• avoid confined spaces. Actively stay away from indoor spaces that do not allow for easy distancing of at least six feet between you and others;

• avoid close contact. Stay at least six feet away from all other people who are not part of your own household, especially while talking, eating, drinking;

• follow safe practices while shopping in stores;

• wash or sanitize your hands often;

• clean frequently touched items regularly; and

• if you are sick, or you have been in contact with someone who is sick with COVID-19 or has symptoms of COVID-19, stay home and away from others.
So while not a BAN on anything, just recommendations which seems like an "out". They don't want to use the word "ban" but they "recommend" stuff so there's some plausible deniability going on there.

I think some news outlet reported that they stated "HALLOWEEN HAS BEEN BANNED!" & that was wrong on the news outlets part.

And for every story I read that states "HALLOWEEN HAS BEEN BANNED!" I say "Nope, that's not what's happened. You can't ban the holiday, you can ban ToTing or the activities associated with it, but you can't BAN the actual day because this isn't the Roman Empire & the Catholic Church taking over the Celts & changing & rearranging things to fit their narrative."

Us Halloween loving folks will always celebrate Halloween, it's just that this year will be different & we may or may not hand out candy & do the stuff we normally do.

gotdangitonedayayearonefreakin'dayayeargrumblegrumble...sigh

·
Registered
162 Posts
"I think some news outlet reported that they stated "HALLOWEEN HAS BEEN BANNED!" & that was wrong on the news outlets part.

And for every story I read that states "HALLOWEEN HAS BEEN BANNED!" I say "Nope, that's not what's happened. You can't ban the holiday, you can ban ToTing or the activities associated with it, but you can't BAN the actual day because this isn't the Roman Empire & the Catholic Church taking over the Celts & changing & rearranging things to fit their narrative."

Us Halloween loving folks will always celebrate Halloween, it's just that this year will be different & we may or may not hand out candy & do the stuff we normally do."

[/QUOTE]

I was just ranting about this to someone the other day. No, Halloween is NOT cancelled. You can shut down activities related to it, but the 31st is still the actual holiday.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I just noticed that NONE of my neighbors have any Halloween OR fall/harvest decorations up.

My neighbors always put out a fall flag. door wreath, cornstalks or something.

I am not putting anything either in advance of Halloween to discourage TOTers. Not sure what I'll do if the whole neighborhood puts their lights out on TOT night. I really want to skip this year - but don't want to turn anyone away and will probably still have some sort of display.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #113 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

All your ideas sound great! I will definitely try some. I just saw this in the news and thought I'd post it here for anyone who might be interested. Have a happy Halloween everybody. Covid Safe Halloween Kit
Great ideas! Thanks for posting. I see there is another style of chute that was posted in that message along with the one I put up here. So far I like the chute idea a lot and will adopt that method myself.

My yard haunt has been running for 24 years now and we have built up quite a community following. We average about 1700 TOT's, so including parents and others there is always well over 3000 people on our corner Halloween night. It helps that our entire historic neighborhood has gotten in the spirit and people literally come from hundreds of miles away to walk the neighborhood. I have the corner lot so we use both the front and side yards. But of course this popularity is also a real concern for me.

We have decided to run the haunt but we will not give out candy this year. The candy entails people crowded, standing in lines coming and going down the same small walkwaycrowding our front walkway. You can plainly see this in the second picture below. We usually just sit on the porch and give out candy. We have to take turns as arms get tired. It is basically 5 hours of solid TOT's. I thought about putting a tube from the upper windows but there are so many TOT's it won't work. There would be crowding and kiddos all knotted up by the end of the tube waiting for candy. I am also putting up placards all over the haunt asking for mask wearing and social distancing.

Here is my haunt:
The first is during the day before foggers and lights. The second shows the crowds and why it will be difficult to keep people from crowding too much. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated1
OMG! That is some impressive display / haunt you have there. 1700 TOT's! Remove a zero and that was the MAX I ever had for Halloween. It must cost a fortune in candy to hand out to that many on Halloween.

Even though I am in favor of a chute set up, I agree that if you have that kind of crowding issue, it will not work.

Well, good luck this year and hopefully you will have a sound solution to keep people distanced. That is certainly a large number to deal with. Also congrats on 24 years! This is my 11th Halloween as I been doing some sort of display since 2009.

Well, that's one thing we've never had in MD on Halloween, snow.

As a kid I used to hate wearing a coat under, or worse, over a costume but I never had a Montana level of coat wearing as a kid.

We get warmer every year here in MD yet oddly enough, this year right now it's pretty temperate. Today is beautiful & in the 70s so I'm hoping this streak continues & we stay this way. All I know is that it will be windy. It's been windy on Halloween every year for many years now.

As for my candy, I will do my treat bags as usual, maybe not as many as usual, & put them in a cauldron in my driveway & decorate around it some fashion, I really haven't decided yet.

EDITED TO ADD:
Just clicked over to my Washington Post Weather Gang's outlook for October & this was the headline:
We predict the coolest October in five years in Washington with plentiful rainfall

That's OK, I can live with that but then there's this:

We are not amused.:mad:
I hear you, I am no stranger to bad weather for Halloween here on Long Island in New York. October is notorious for bad weather. If it isn't wind, it is rain. But occasionally we do get some good weather, but it is rare. I would say that since I been doing this going back to 2009, perhaps I had four decent days. While I have had more good Halloween nights, generally I have had it where MOST of the night was good, but then close to the end, it started to rain. It did that two of the years. Finally in 2012, we were hit with Hurricane Sandy....I mean really? A hurricane? So we were out of power that year and I had to improvise something else in which all my lights and props worked from batteries.

Even though it usually doesn't get cold enough to snow here for Halloween, in 2011, it happened. We only received a dusting though and by the afternoon, when the TOTs came, it was all gone. That was one of the good years as the rest of the night it was very still and calm with no rain.

Hopefully we have good weather this year because that is all I need on top of it with the Covid crap going around this year. That all and a new home are all looking for a meager turn out this year. I guess I just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
824 Posts
We have a candy slide plus all candy is passed over with a UV light and sealed in individual bags that have also been hit with UV and will not be touched for over a week and covid cannot survive that long on plastic. We will wear gloves when distributing candy and the slide gives us social distancing.

Frankly I think this is massive overkill but we decided to do it so the parents and the kids feel safe.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
After lots of trial and error with the catapult, I had to scrap that idea. So instead I made a 7ft spooky hand and arm that we will hang candy bags from for the kids to pick up.
View attachment 740115 View attachment 740116
That is another cool idea. I can see that easily being hands free as you can use gloves to put the candy on the 'extended hand' and then when it is over the TOT's bag, just twist it and let the candy bag fall in. The only thing is that controlling such a "long arm" might need some practice. You might try seeing if you can practice your 'aim' by dropping the candy into some container that has a small opening. If you can ace that every time, then you should be good.

We have a candy slide plus all candy is passed over with a UV light and sealed in individual bags that have also been hit with UV and will not be touched for over a week and covid cannot survive that long on plastic. We will wear gloves when distributing candy and the slide gives us social distancing.

Frankly I think this is massive overkill but we decided to do it so the parents and the kids feel safe.
Yeah, that is A LOT of prep work and I am not even 100% sure if the UV light will kill Corona. Putting the candy in bags and using gloves as to not touch the bags will probably be enough. Of course, if you are handing candy at arms length, then you would be needing a mask too. For me, I am my displays voice actor, so I cannot wear a mask. So my distribution point will involve a chute. And naturally I will be more than 6 feet away with my area being roped off so no one can enter it.

Anyway, thanks for the input! This has turned out to be a really cool thread...glad I started it! LOL!

Diaval

·
Registered
99 Posts
This year I am doing trick or treat bags for the first time. I just ordered invisible ink pens, small notebooks that say top secret, stretchy strings with eyeballs, and finger flash lights. I think I will have a lot fewer ToTers this year so I can do a bit more than usual.

I will also go to Costco and get full size candy bars then go to the dollar store and get some non-chocolate candy for those that prefer it.

I'm thinking I will let the kids choose the candy, if the parents think it is too dangerous they can hold the candy for 3 days then let them have it or do whatever they think is best.

I will also have cans of beer for the parents who want it.

We will put up the 10x10 canopy tent in the driveway and have the treats on a long table. We will then sit back away from the table.

What we won't do is have the party for friends that happens inside while we are out with the trick or treaters. It might be a lot more fun with just the two of us, we can focus more on the kids.

Now it is all up to the weather. If it is rainy and windy we will save the gift bags for next year and return the candy to Costco.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I just noticed that NONE of my neighbors have any Halloween OR fall/harvest decorations up.

My neighbors always put out a fall flag. door wreath, cornstalks or something.

I am not putting anything either in advance of Halloween to discourage TOTers. Not sure what I'll do if the whole neighborhood puts their lights out on TOT night. I really want to skip this year - but don't want to turn anyone away and will probably still have some sort of display.
Strange, I've noticed houses putting out decorations, or small displays, that never did before.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Our house is on top of a hill and because it's 90' from the street, we're sort of insulated from all the neighborhood around us, so we don't get more than a few trick-o-treaters each year in any case. I usually build a fire and sit out front in a cloak (huge; wool lined with linen-poly blend; very warm). I figure to put a bowl on a TV tray and just invite the kids to take a few pieces.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I don’t mean to derail the topic, but I had a question- last night I had friendly trespassers in my driveway. Apparently a family wanted to get a better look at my setup, and were in my driveway and on my porch. Made me a little uneasy, as we had our cars in the driveway, and not a lot of room to move around. The kids were young, so I didn’t have the heart to ask them to stay on the sidewalk, but I don’t know what would possess the parents to allow the kids and themselves onto my property? My husband seems to think that the pillars look like an entrance onto the lawn ( although they stayed in the driveway). My little site page clearly states that the haunt is visible from the street and sidewalk. Not sure what I should do? So far an isolated incident, which brings me to the next question- I was going to have the candy on a old fashioned farm stand cart that I made, but now I am thinking that it may get “swarmed” and all the candy taken in one fail swoop. Not sure still if there will be a good amount of tot’ers, but I may go to the chute system like so many of you are going with. I’m torn now.

Attachments

101 - 120 of 145 Posts