Halloween Forum banner

81 - 100 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Looks like the Illinois Dept of Health gave the green light on most of Halloween with some minimal revisions. They approved the table idea so that’s promising.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm planning on passing out candy like normal as long as there is no major outbreak between now and Halloween. For those that aren't comfortable with it, then they are free to celebrate in the way they feel safest.

I do know that I am going to go all out with candy and have full size candy bars and just extra things that I don't normally do. Not that I've ever been one to skimp, but I feel like young people have suffered a great deal this year so I want to do above and beyond. If there is an opportunity to bring some joy to the neighborhood then I'm all for it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
We usually do a large pirate themed walkthrough, we got around 3000 kids last year and usually you can expect around 6000-7000 when it lands on a weekend like it does this year. So many people the streets are not driveable and are filled with people. 100% confident social distancing will be difficult if not impossible and everyone in our neighborhood is just going on like usual. We have decided to do the same, we will be wearing masks and gloves as well as providing masks to anyone who does not have one and requiring them on entry. In addition we are creating a hand sanitizer station at the entrance and at the exit area's of our property. We will limit the amount of people we allow to walk through and hand out candy at the end. This time we will hand out candy at the end without requiring people to walk through the walkthrough if they chose not to. We altered our audio files outside to request that people maintain social distancing and to inform them that we are limiting access to the walkthrough to one group at a time. That's really all that we can do on our side, the rest will be up to the ToT'ers and their parents to determine what they do and do not want to do.

That said, I seriously have no clue how anyone is going to be able to manage the groups. If the polls in our area are correct, roughly 38% of people can be expected to not participate this year.... Take that against 6000-7000 people then you can still have a reasonable expectation of 4000 ish people at minimum. Candy shoot? Not going to work at all... bagging each kids candy... Not gonna happen!

This is my place last year (Halloween not on a weekend day) from the streets.

-K
Arrrrrr ye best not be bringin' any shovels to be diggin' up me treasure!

·
Registered
13 Posts
A few years ago I build a small trebuchet to launch water balloons at my kids. It was a lot of fun but it's been gathering dust. I'm thinking I should bust that out to launch candy at kids this year. Maybe put a big chalk X in the street.

Not sure if I should do baggies or just hurl a handful at a time. The kids may scramble into each other fighting over the single pieces, but the baggies would hurt more if someone not paying attention takes a shot. Of course, I'll try not to hit them intentionally. I guess it depends on how crowded the street is. It's really hit or miss here, the weather can be in the low 60's or freezing rain/snow.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Meadow,
Was there any reason why the reduced hours?
since it's Saturday, I would've increased the hours, spreading the TOTers out more.
My math says if normally 3 hrs and you get 300 TOTers, so this year only half come out 150, but now its only 2 hrs of TOTing that would be 75 per hour instead of the normal 100 per hour, but if 3 hrs it would be 50 per hr.
My vote would be to increase the hours.
Jerseyscare

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Meadow,
Was there any reason why the reduced hours?
since it's Saturday, I would've increased the hours, spreading the TOTers out more.
My math says if normally 3 hrs and you get 300 TOTers, so this year only half come out 150, but now its only 2 hrs of TOTing that would be 75 per hour instead of the normal 100 per hour, but if 3 hrs it would be 50 per hr.
My vote would be to increase the hours.
Jerseyscare
I honestly don’t know as to why. I agree with you but also understand it might have been a compromise for those who think it might be a risk. I do know our mayor was a huge supporter of Halloween happening so I’m not going to fuss.

But, there is new drama in my village. Apparently the Champaign-Urbana area has decided to NOT have Halloween so my village Facebook is a lot of people voicing concerns about those community members possibly coming to our community to Trick or Treat. If safety is an issue, that could have an impact. I don’t know if I should overshoot the mark and plan for larger than normal or go with less.

Thoughts?

Also, it’s still Illinois and Mother Nature is our last wild card. We could definitely get rained out for sure.

I am toying with a series of candy bowls on tables for limited contact. Thinking I can wrap them in lights and do something cute. I also saw a plastic pumpkin with a mask on that made me giggle. Might incorporate that but no final decisions yet.

My husband wants us to put out the display early and post as an event. Yes, displays are much more interesting and dynamic well lit at night, but since we pretty much stay outside all day watching our props, maybe alerting people it is up and viewable is smart and ultimately safer. We are situated on a side street so no one really sees us but they often text each other to come see us. I think more than ever kids need a spark of fun and seeing as how we actually have the village approval to move forward, my husband and I are in total agreement to make this the best display we can for the kids who need some spooky magic. Since most of our props are not rated for outdoors and wind is always a factor, we are still doing our pop up Halloween. Fingers crossed for us and all of you that we pull of something amazing this year!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Oh NO. Now I have a NEW worry. It was only what will MY town do! Never gave a thought to town "X" cancelling TOTing while town "Y" allows and an increase in town "Y". May need to go to the BANK to withdrawal MORE candy monies!
Jerseyscare

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Oh NO. Now I have a NEW worry. It was only what will MY town do! Never gave a thought to town "X" cancelling TOTing while town "Y" allows and an increase in town "Y". May need to go to the BANK to withdrawal MORE candy monies!
Jerseyscare
Yeah I’m right there with you now. Like part of me is the more the merrier, but again you would have to be “in the know” to find my house. I also don’t know how many parents will decide to skip it. Based on the Facebook posts it seems to be very much PRO Halloween.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ive seen the slide tube idea...I was thinking of some more hands- on ideas for passing out candy. Kinda make it like a fun carnival game for the kids. I decorate the front lawn each year with a cemetery setup & was debating hiding the candy in "easter eggs" & letting the kids walk thru the cemetery & find their candy. I was also thinking it'd be neat (if time allows) to make a giant "Operation" board game on the front lawn & have the kids try to pick their candy up from the holes of the board. Like with one of those dollar store claw grabbers or a magnet or something like that. This would probably only work though if it's a low traffic neighborhood. To refill the holes in between treaters.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I honestly don’t know as to why. I agree with you but also understand it might have been a compromise for those who think it might be a risk. I do know our mayor was a huge supporter of Halloween happening so I’m not going to fuss.

But, there is new drama in my village. Apparently the Champaign-Urbana area has decided to NOT have Halloween so my village Facebook is a lot of people voicing concerns about those community members possibly coming to our community to Trick or Treat. If safety is an issue, that could have an impact. I don’t know if I should overshoot the mark and plan for larger than normal or go with less.

Thoughts?

Also, it’s still Illinois and Mother Nature is our last wild card. We could definitely get rained out for sure.

I am toying with a series of candy bowls on tables for limited contact. Thinking I can wrap them in lights and do something cute. I also saw a plastic pumpkin with a mask on that made me giggle. Might incorporate that but no final decisions yet.

My husband wants us to put out the display early and post as an event. Yes, displays are much more interesting and dynamic well lit at night, but since we pretty much stay outside all day watching our props, maybe alerting people it is up and viewable is smart and ultimately safer. We are situated on a side street so no one really sees us but they often text each other to come see us. I think more than ever kids need a spark of fun and seeing as how we actually have the village approval to move forward, my husband and I are in total agreement to make this the best display we can for the kids who need some spooky magic. Since most of our props are not rated for outdoors and wind is always a factor, we are still doing our pop up Halloween. Fingers crossed for us and all of you that we pull of something amazing this year!
A few years back I put out a large bowl of candy then left for a 15 minute run and when i got back it was completely empty ( Deerfield, Il). Mind you, this was during the day! I think there will be more people this year leaving candy in bowls which is fine if you're outside monitoring the ToTers but what if it's 30 or 40 degrees outside? We actually had snow last Halloween:confused:

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
A few years back I put out a large bowl of candy then left for a 15 minute run and when i got back it was completely empty ( Deerfield, Il). Mind you, this was during the day! I think there will be more people this year leaving candy in bowls which is fine if you're outside monitoring the ToTers but what if it's 30 or 40 degrees outside? We actually had snow last Halloween:confused:
You know every candy bowl I have ever seen left out without monitoring resulted in being wiped out. And yes, the weather in Illinois last year was insane. We got winter temps in the fall and winter started off somewhat warm. Down state it was all rain. As far as cold temps, we stay outside. We have a fire pit I just put in our driveway and that keeps us toasty warm. I can brave two hours for Halloween!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Saw these ideas pop up. The “candy sticking” is interesting but would the sticks be problematic in a bag carried by the child? The clothesline idea is super cute. I do wonder if someone would walk straight into it though.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yeah kids would literally get clotheslined!😁 I appreciate the creative efforts but all these ideas seem like too much work for giving away free candy. If they want to hold their bags open while I essentially "shoot hoops" with their Snickers bars that's fine but that will be the extent of my efforts.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Yeah kids would literally get clotheslined!😁 I appreciate the creative efforts but all these ideas seem like too much work for giving away free candy. If they want to hold their bags open while I essentially "shoot hoops" with their Snickers bars that's fine but that will be the extent of my efforts.
Totally agree. The thing about all the ideas (which I do appreciate cause really it’s just people doing all they can to celebrate Halloween) is you might be able to maintain the 6 feet of distance but there’s still a contact component.

If you do the clothesline, people are touching the clothespin. If you do the sticks, well you still touched them. Even my candy bowls spread out. People are still taking the goodie bags and I’m putting more goodie bags back in the bowls. I can try to clean them between “takings” but I am sure it will be managing efforts for sure. Same with the chutes. You touched the baggy when you put it down the chute right?

·
Registered
14,130 Posts
We’re not planning on handing out candy this year although I’ve been thinking about at least decorating somewhat to celebrate Halloween. The dilemma is “if you build it would they come and be disappointed if no candy?” Really just thought of giving them something fun to drive or walk by Halloween Day and hopefully be back with a walk around yard haunt next year. Still hard to believe all this is going on and just want the kids and their parents safe. We’re in kind of a small town and over 600 have tested positive, not sure about hospitalized/deaths.

So inspired by @3pinkpoodles movie theater and signs this year, having done a drive-in movie theater recently ourselves and have items from it still, and falling in love with HD’s dancing aliens (and have a number of alien props), it’s likely I’ll end up with a closed down movie theater setting. Idea is Movie Theater has been invaded and overrun with space aliens (props and projections I have and glad to use), wanting to watch the current offering, and I’ll chain off the driveway so it’s clear it’s closed and don't walk up to house. Maybe a No Admittance sign on it. The movie theater signage will reference “Closed due to Invasion” and “see you next year”. Okay so figured I’m all set. Simple idea and relatively easy set up.

Until I ran into this poster today...

And of course I have a number of spider props including a 5-6 foot guy and the HD gigantic 9’ spider. OKAY, so Plans are now getting bigger...much bigger. I ordered the poster which is huge too, 27x40”, and definite larger than my prior 3-4 monster movie posters signs (24x36). I was hoping to use one of them for mounting this new one to but now not sure what to do with it. Should be here by Oct. 20 so I’ll have a few days to plan.

·
Registered
14,130 Posts
@Ghost of Spookie is the plan to do a closed movie theater overrun with spiders? Just making sure I understand your next brilliant display.
haha ask me 10/31!

Honestly right now in my mind it’s a movie theater showing a space alien movie and shut down due to an invasion from outer space. Space aliens and/or giant spiders from outer space I’m not sure how I’ll spin it but it’s really both at this point, assuming poster arrives. I’ve never watched the movie from the poster, “The Strange World of Planet X”, circa 1958 I think. No idea if radiation from space made the spiders grow. Think I’ll see if I can find it to watch.

I recognize the actor Forrest Tucker. He played on F Troop as Sgt ORourke. He also was in the Crawling Eye. Hey I have one of those Tekky or Gemmy big crawling eyeballs.

ooh just found a movie trailer for it...giant bugs and screaming women...something to do with earth's magnetic field (yes, it's been moving), and some alien. I have a giant cockroach and ant props that could find there way onto our cars roof or inside them, hmm. the plot is growing.

·
Registered
162 Posts
"If you do the clothesline, people are touching the clothespin. If you do the sticks, well you still touched them. Even my candy bowls spread out. People are still taking the goodie bags and I’m putting more goodie bags back in the bowls. I can try to clean them between “takings” but I am sure it will be managing efforts for sure. Same with the chutes. You touched the baggy when you put it down the chute right? "

You're going to drive yourself crazy worrying about which hands touch what. The very fact that ToTers are coming to your door to get candy suggests they understand that your hand will come in contact with the candy wrapper at some point and have accepted the "risk." I don't think there is great concern among the experts about transmission through surfaces.

81 - 100 of 145 Posts