Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I had figured there would be many topics here in regards to how people are going to handle Trick Or Treating this year in lieu of the pandemic, but I have not found anything so far.

I have been a fellow Halloween forum follower in the past, but I had left the forum in 2015. Much was going on in my life since then as both my mother and father passed away and I ended up selling their house in 2018. That house was where I put on my Halloween displays since 2009. However with the money I received from selling their home, I bought a new one in the town I was renting a house. Ironically, I ended up buying the same style house, an in-line ranch. So now with my own place, I figured I could do what I want and really go big for Halloween 2020. Guess what...Pandemic Covid-19. So this put me in a situation in that I really have nothing planned for this year save for putting some decorations out, but I was not sure if the lockdown would affect Trick Or Treaters this year. So far, my location in New York, there is nothing said about a curfew or lockdown on trick or treating this year. So I am assuming at this late in the game that I would have heard something by now. So I am assuming Halloween is going to go on with Trick Or Treaters having to follow standard pandemic social distancing rules.

So with it seeming like Halloween is a go this year, I am pretty much drawing a blank at what to do for social distancing. One thing that comes to mind is that I could adapt my main attraction, the Magic Mirror, to be socially distant. As it is, since I no longer have my parent's home, I have to reconfigure the entire setup for the new home. The problem is that I fear it will be expensive. I am currently in furlough and I been out of work since March and I am relying on a much reduced income from Unemployment. While I am still considering it as an option, I am curious to what others are planning to be safe this Halloween season.

So in closing, as my subject says, what are your plans for handling Trick or Treaters this year?

·
crossfit zombie
7,563 Posts
I’m rural so having to many kids at one time won’t be a issue. I put treats in a zip lock bag so they are individual . I really look for tot to be cancelled but I did but some Halloween kids face mask as a treat I need to buy some more I got all they had at my local dollar general.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm still planning to decorate my yard as usual. It's something my neighborhood kids enjoy driving by and seeing. As far as ToT, unless it's officially cancelled, I'm going to let my kids go, wearing masks (all of their costumes require masks). For handing out candy, I heard an idea somewhere (sorry, don't remember where!) about how someone was going to have a big PVC pipe decorated and slide treats through it into kids' buckets. That sounds fun.

I'm guessing there will be fewer ToTers this year, though, whatever happens.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I bought some Halloween ziplock bags to make treat bags, but still working out how I will pass them out. I may set them on the porch or a table outside and have them grab and go. But I’m loving that PVC pipe candy slide, that is hilariously practical

·
Registered
909 Posts
I was thinking I'd slide treat bags down a ramp or tube from an open window into a bucket when I see how many kids are there.
BUT I could just wear gloves and drop the bags directly into their bags from the open window too.

·
Registered
143 Posts
We will make goodie bags as usual. Whichever family member is designated to hand out candy, they will have a mask/face covering and gloves. We wont be making any contraptions to hand out candy. The kids will come up to the porch and the goodie bag will be placed in their bucket/bag by our designated person. The goodie bags will be prepared about 2 weeks ahead of time and put away til Halloween night. We will be outside the entire time too so no touching of doorbells etc for the kiddos.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Undecided here, I have a few ideas that will allow us to social distance and still hand out candy. Haven't decided which way to go as of yet. Whatever we do, we will do everything we can to keep people safe.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I was thinking I'd slide treat bags down a ramp or tube from an open window into a bucket when I see how many kids are there.
BUT I could just wear gloves and drop the bags directly into their bags from the open window too.
I had seen this idea on YouTube here:

It is a good idea and it did have me thinking back to my own Magic Mirror and it was chute based. However, moving into a new home last November, pretty much rendered the prop unusable. I initially wasn't going to do it this year as I wanted to 'feel out' the new neighborhood, but given that it's design is inherently separating the candy giver from the candy receiver, and it is inherently social distanced. So I am thinking of revamping it anyway. Besides, the kids seeing this this year, will probably spread the word around. But I am curious to see what others are doing which is why I made this post.

At any rate if you or others are curious, this is my Magic Mirror set up from 2013 :

You can see the chute exit at the large pumpkin's mouth below the mirror. I was inside the vestibule behind the mirror providing the voice and interacted with TOT's as I dispensed candy out the chute.

·
Registered
153 Posts
We will make goodie bags as usual. Whichever family member is designated to hand out candy, they will have a mask/face covering and gloves. We wont be making any contraptions to hand out candy. The kids will come up to the porch and the goodie bag will be placed in their bucket/bag by our designated person. The goodie bags will be prepared about 2 weeks ahead of time and put away til Halloween night. We will be outside the entire time too so no touching of doorbells etc for the kiddos.
I'm pretty much doing the same thing, but I don't care if they ring the doorbell or knock. I will wear a mask and hand out treat bags. I really hope they let people go trick or treating. With just a little bit of caution, kids could have at least one mostly normal thing this year.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Making goodie bags. Putting them on a table in front of my for easy grabbing to avoid any issues with being too close. Will probably also put tape X’s for distancing to make it easy. IF we get trick or treaters. Still waiting on an answer.

·
Registered
235 Posts
We picked up an old worn-out plastic slide for cheap. We plan to paint it reddish pink and make a huge vintage-style cat face, cutting a hole where the mouth is and using the "tongue" slide to distribute treat bags. I'm really excited about this - I think it will be fun!

·
Registered
2 Posts
We plan on decorating as usual and Halloween night do a haunted walk through a decorated 10x 20 tent. Having my semi adult kids funneling the kids and family through one at a time. I plan on being a fortune teller with barrier sheild on my tarot table and the husband plans on being Zoltar with accompanying box and chute for the beverages. Hope this helps happy haunting!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Probably not going to change anything, other than just tilting the bowl over the kids' bags to let the good stuff drop down into their containers so nothing gets touched.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am going to do treat bags like I normally do but plan on staying outside so there is no door congestion/ touching. Weather permitting I am thinking about putting up a covered area with our propane fireplace so I can try to stay dry/ warm. I might make it a witch lair and the have the treat bags in a cauldron where I can make sure kids are taking one but don't have to get too close to them. I haven't heard anything one way or the other about tot allowed or regulations.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I am really liking the pvc treat slide idea. I'm not sure I want to go with a mummy theme but that looks like a lot of fun for the kids to catch their candy or toy through that.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello everyone and thanks for the chime ins on this.

It seems like it is mostly looking at a toss up between those doing things normally and going with the bagging method.

Making goodie bags. Putting them on a table in front of my for easy grabbing to avoid any issues with being too close. Will probably also put tape X’s for distancing to make it easy. IF we get trick or treaters. Still waiting on an answer.
Yes, I have seen the table idea mentioned before. If you could please let me know the if the tape you are going use sticks well to concrete because I am definitely going to use my garage as the handout point for candy and just want to make social distancing marks. I seriously doubt I am going to get many TOTs this year, being that it is a new neighborhood for me and I am sure the Covid crap is going to keep some kids away on top of it.

I am really liking the pvc treat slide idea. I'm not sure I want to go with a mummy theme but that looks like a lot of fun for the kids to catch their candy or toy through that.
That chute isn't my idea, but a post I came across on You Tube. For me it was a reminder that my Magic Mirror routine has a candy chute much like that, but as I mentioned above, because of my selling my parent's house, I no longer can set up the Mirror in that vestibule that is in the video above, so if I set it up in my garage, I am going to have to revamp the whole thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am making a slide using some vinyl downspout from home Depot. ($10) and a giant skull from Joann's ($12). You can use the same brackets you would use to attach the downspout to your house to some stakes in the lawn. I will paint the downspout black and try to make the skull float in the air?

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
Unless NYS cancels us altogether, I guess we're just doing as usual? We always do goodie bags, I'll just make sure to wipe down my doorbell periodically, wear a mask, and wear some gloves. The only thing I'm very much unsure of at this point, is how much candy to buy. If TOT has the green light, can I expect the same numbers as last year, or will less people be out? I've run out of candy before and it's a horrible feeling, but I don't want to end up with a ton of leftovers either.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts