Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your favorite Halloween rituals/ traditions?

I know I've done a similar thread, but what are your favorite rituals and traditions for Halloween? Read this, and see if yours match.

http://www.modernparentsmessykids.com/2012/09/do-you-have-a-halloween-ritual.html

·
Moonlighter
2,593 Posts
DarkManDustin, it looks like your post might be missing a link or attachment of some kind. But just to answer the general topic, my Halloween season starts off early because of the Spookytown and Boney Bunch collections releasing in late July/early August. I usually have the Fall decorations out beginning in September and then Halloween decor starts working its way in slowly but surely until I'm completely decked out by October. We always go to a local apple orchard in Oct. for apple cider and other yummies, plus they have a HUGE corn maze and a pick-your-own pumpkin patch. And then it's an exciting count-down to our Big Day with a flurry of activity for setting up the haunt and a cozy firepit to enjoy during the TOT hours. I'm excited just thinking about it! :)

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DarkManDustin, it looks like your post might be missing a link or attachment of some kind. But just to answer the general topic, my Halloween season starts off early because of the Spookytown and Boney Bunch collections releasing in late July/early August. I usually have the Fall decorations out beginning in September and then Halloween decor starts working its way in slowly but surely until I'm completely decked out by October. We always go to a local apple orchard in Oct. for apple cider and other yummies, plus they have a HUGE corn maze and a pick-your-own pumpkin patch. And then it's an exciting count-down to our Big Day with a flurry of activity for setting up the haunt and a cozy firepit to enjoy during the TOT hours. I'm excited just thinking about it! :)
Sorry. I posted a link.

·
The Ghost Host
597 Posts
Well besides our annual party, one really significant tradition for me is my yearly jack-o-lantern. I pick out the perfect pumpkin at the start of the season and then i'll eventually carve and name him. Also Halloween movie night is an essential commencement tradition for the season as well. Turn off all the lights with nothing but the glow of a jack-o-lantern and play Halloween.

Ahhhh i'm so ready for the season!

Attachments

·
The Sea Witch
2,447 Posts
all things halloween fall into my realm. SO much of 'tradition; depends though on how I am feeling - if i have a ton of work, am stressed, busy, whatever I sometimes slack. I always get these things in though lol

pumpkin carving
roasting pumpkin seeds
trick or treating
charlie brown/ all halloween cartoons/ cartoon movies
horror movies all month long
take pictures of kids in their costumes

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
We revel in the season. Just about everything that has to do with Fall and Halloween we seem to do. From Fall festivals, Halloween parties, Ghost Walks, bon fires, going to the pumpkin patch, haunted houses, everything.

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
Thanks. It said, "take a spooky walk around the neighborhood."

We do that too. lol Come October we walk the dog when it gets dark. With the trees, the cool air, the decorations (there seems to be more each year), it really makes for a nice atmosphere.

Our city has a Ghost Walk like witchymom described. Our downtown area has a haunted history and for 2 weekends in October they have hour long walks that leave every 30 minutes. There is a tour guide with a lantern and at each stop there is a reenactment. At the end there is one last story and refreshments.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My biggest tradition is the celebration of Halloween Month Day on the first of October. Every year, I dress up in an absolutely ridiculous orange and black outfit, complete with a bright orange witch hat, and decorate my house for Halloween. My friends all wish me a Happy Halloween Month Day, and my neighbors all stare and take pictures (probably so that they can text their friends evidence of their encounter with some sort of Halloween elf). Sometimes people even freak out upon seeing me, thinking that it's Halloween instead of the beginning of the month. Crazy fun times. It's one of my favorite days of the year!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
One of my traditions is, starting on the first day in October, I have the outside speakers hooked up and I turn on my multi-disc player and let the sounds rock the neighborhood. Everyone knows who it is, and they start coming by to see what is out in the yard. Of course I start with putting up the fence and continue on from there.

·
Registered
999 Posts
We decorate the house early September, so I like to think of fall and Halloween as one extended season. We have our Halloween party, go to a hayride, haunted attraction, a local Octoberfest, and a haunted feast. I run a movie marathon, and start a schedule of horror movies and specials to watch. I might do a September warm-up this year, because I can never get to watching everything on my list. I also read some Halloween fiction, and this is something which really adds to the season. We also might go to a ghost tour or two, plus hiking in the mountains.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One of my traditions is, starting on the first day in October, I have the outside speakers hooked up and I turn on my multi-disc player and let the sounds rock the neighborhood. Everyone knows who it is, and they start coming by to see what is out in the yard. Of course I start with putting up the fence and continue on from there.
Nice attention getter.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Decorations go up prior to October first, so they can be enjoyed all month! Then:

- Halloween movies peppered throughout the month - Sleepy Hollow, NIghtmare Before Christmas, Charlie Brown, etc
- Trip to the pumpkin patch and corn maze
- Shopping for new Halloween Decor (of course)
- Halloween Party usually the last weekend before the big day

JUST YESTERDAY some kids were walking by the house with their parents and were heard to say "Remember this house?! Its the scary house will all the decorations and sounds and fog!!"

:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts