Halloween Forum banner

121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Celebration by Paul Melniczek. Next up for me My Best Friend's Exorcism, which appears to be an 80s style horror/comedy novel.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
"the Strange Case of Dr. Doyle" by two guys named Friedman. A good read for this time of year, they make a very compelling argument the Sherlock Holmes' author Arthur Conan Doyle WAS Jack the Ripper.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm reading the SideFX series! It seems to be a writing project that is just getting started with new original short stories coming out periodically. I ran across their Halloween story up on their website and it's pretty dark... in the best way possible! :D It's called Tell Tale Raven. The site says the series will be kind of a new take on the zombie apocalypse genre. Can't wait for the next one to come out! Cool artwork too. The website is sidefxmayinclude

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,480 Posts
I love that Keith Richards book. I couldn't finish it though. Not that it was bad or poorly written, in fact I think it all sounded just like he wrote it himself which is good (& hilarious too), but when he turned into the full on guitar nerd that his is (& rightfully so) I got bored. I knew what he was talking about having played guitar for many years, but I wanted more bio stuff & not what pedal he used to get that sound on that amp.

I really did like it though because you could literally hear him speaking those words in that book. He may have had help writing it, but they most certainly didn't edit out his voice.

I just started "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"

I've seen the movie a zillion times & had no idea that the story was told from Chief's perspective, in his voice. Which is the exact opposite of the movie & Nicholson doesn't look anything like the book's McMurphy. I'm not that far into it & he's just shown up so we'll see where it goes from there.

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,271 Posts
I love that Keith Richards book. I couldn't finish it though. Not that it was bad or poorly written, in fact I think it all sounded just like he wrote it himself which is good (& hilarious too), but when he turned into the full on guitar nerd that his is (& rightfully so) I got bored. I knew what he was talking about having played guitar for many years, but I wanted more bio stuff & not what pedal he used to get that sound on that amp.

I really did like it though because you could literally hear him speaking those words in that book. He may have had help writing it, but they most certainly didn't edit out his voice.
i somehow just now saw this post. agree 100% on keith's voice coming through. i think i got into the guitar talk less because i'm a guitar nerd (i play, but i'm not into it like i used to be) and more because i'm a stones nerd. i'm a huge fan and i loved all the "behind the scenes" stuff. overall i'd recommend it to anyone who is at all a stones fan.

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
I've recently finished reading all 3 volumes of Richard Matheson: Collected Stories. Some great stories from a master of the genre. The stories are in chronological order.I have to say that IMHO, his later horror stories were his best.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Masterpieces of Terror and the Supernaural. An older anthology 1985. Included which I just finished reading is Carmilla by Sheridan LeFanu. A vampire novella written before Dracula, and it definitely influenced Bram Stoker's classic.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
"The Last Pass - Cousy, Russell, the Celtics, and What Matters in the End". A must read for anyone in Massachusetts. A tear jerker when you read about the racial climate in Boston in the '50's. I met Bill Russell at SFO in 1978. I was with my wife, Polynesian, big afro. We sere on the same flight from Frisco to Seattle. I couldn't get over how nice he was. But after reading this...he was so pleasant because we were an inter-racial couple. A rare sight in those days, but things had changed in his lifetime. I gotta get a copy to my son. He was 3 months old at that meeting, my wife was holding him.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I just finished Dracul, written by Dacre Stoker (great grand-nephew of Bram) and J.D. Barker.

I highly recommend it! A prequel to Dracula, it weaves the Stoker family into the Dracula legend. Well written, very successful at capturing a Victorian gothic air.
The style of writing purposely mimics Bram Stoker's style.
Check out some of the reviews and articles written about it - or don't, at least, not until you've read the book to avoid learning to much about it.

·
sasquatch
3,076 Posts
I recently read Joe Hill's book Heart Shaped Box. I love a good ghost story. I was intrigued with the concept of buying a haunted item off an internet auction sight. Judas Coyne is a rock star who grew up with an abusive father and an enabling mother. Judas grew up in rural
Louisiana on a pig farm. After his old man tried to end his guitar hobbie by breaking his fingers, Judas changed his identity and moved on to stardom. He became a rock star for a heavy metal band. After loosing two members of his band to death and a long string of failed relationships he buys a farm in Duchess County, New York. So he doesn't have to keep an office in Poughkeepsie he builds an addition onto his 200 year old farm house and puts in an office for his personal assistant, Danny. Judas has a collection of the macabre and when Danny reads an e-mail on the official Judas Coyne page listing the suite of a dead man for sale in a heart shaped box. The suite is said to be haunted by Craddock , the ghost of a Vietnam vet schooled in psychological manipulation. As the story goes the e-mail was directed to Coyne by an irate sister of a former girlfriend of Judas. The book deals with heavy subjects such as depression, suicide, abuse in many different masks, forgiveness, redemption, and loving the ones who can handle our kind of crazy. This was a good read and went in many different directions from the guesses I made in the beginning. If anyone is looking for a good ghost story with a modern twist try this one out.

·
sasquatch
3,076 Posts
For a short read I recommend a short book called Dark Harvest by Norman Partridge. It is highly influenced by the short story The Lottery by Shirley Jackson and legends of harvest god sacrifices. The book takes place in a Midwestern town in 1963. The October Boy, Ol' Sawtooth Jack rises from the corn field every Halloween night. The adolescent boys in town gather for a race to catch and kill him. The winner's family gets financial gain and the boy a one way ticket out of this hopeless town's future of arduous labor and the a life in a lack luster dead end future. Pete McCormick knows that killing the October Boy is his one way ticket out of town. Pete faces the October Boy and Jerry Ricks, the "Barney Fife" cop, who will do anything to stop lawlessness on this lawless night,

121 - 135 of 135 Posts