Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see a "what are you reading?" topic and thought I'd create one for everyone to share their current reads.

I'm currently reading My Descent into Death by Howard Storm.

Howard Storm is someone who had a near-death experience. I've seen his story on unsolved mysteries, but of course, they could only let him share some of his story since the show is only an hour long. The book is interesting so far.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,441 Posts
I'm always reading something, usually several somethings.

Right now on the kindle I'm reading The Little Bookstore in Big Stone Gap. My mother's family is from Big Stone so I had to read it.

In old fashioned print I'm reading 12 Years a Slave. Amazing book, beautifully written and horrible and beautiful all at once. Haven't seen the movie yet and won't until I finish the book.

F

·
0 Posts
I can't believe this hasn't gotten more replies. I finished "The Monsters are Due on Maple Street" earlier today since it's a required reading assignment for my middle schoolers this year. I'm about halfway through "The Haunting of Hill House" right now.

Sid

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've started reading Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler.

I can't believe this hasn't gotten more replies. I finished "The Monsters are Due on Maple Street" earlier today since it's a required reading assignment for my middle schoolers this year. I'm about halfway through "The Haunting of Hill House" right now.

Sid
How is The Haunting of Hill House? The 1999 movie The Haunting is based from that book, isn't it? I really like the movie and have thought of reading the book before.

·
Registered
719 Posts
"Carrion Comfort" by Dan Simmons and "The Queen of Bedlam" by Robert McCammon. Just finished 2nd reading of "The Passage" and "The Twelve" by Justin Cronin to get ready for final installment hopefully later this year-awesome books.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,441 Posts
I've started reading Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler.

How is The Haunting of Hill House? The 1999 movie The Haunting is based from that book, isn't it? I really like the movie and have thought of reading the book before.
Oh it goes back further than 1999 & The Haunting has nothing on the original movie The Haunting with Julie Christie. Check that one out if you haven't yet.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,441 Posts
I read Carrion Comfort aaaages ago & it was a fave then. Dan Simmons can be uneven. Some of his stuff is great (Carrion, Illium series), some (DROOD I'M LOOKIN' AT YOU!) not so great.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A great book: " Iron Man: My Journey through Heaven and Hell with Black Sabbath" --By Tony Iommi ...(Black Sabbath's guitarist)

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,441 Posts
I was in Dollar Tree scoping out their single endcap of Halloween stuff & went to see what books they had & found "Horns" by Joe Hill. I wanted it mostly 'cause the movie is premiering on Halloween night I wanna read it before it comes out.

I'm having a hard time seeing Daniel Radcliffe as the lead character but I love that kid & he's a pretty capable actor so I'm sure he'll be fine.

I keep looking at the pic on the back cover & all I can think is "He looks EXACTLY like his father only not as creepy." I've often thought SK had beady little eyes, his son doesn't.

·
Resident Potterhead
1,972 Posts
Taking a break from Dark Tower to read A song of Ice and Fire series (Game of Thrones books) so as to avoid unfortunate spoilers which the "fans" just LOVE to dole out on a regular basis. Still on book 1, hoping to have the series so far finished by the time season 5 starts in April, I better pick up the pace if that's going to happen considering its taken me about 3 months to get as far as I have and I'm only halfway through it, but I moved interstate and things have been complete chaos, so I have a damn good excuse.

·
Resident Potterhead
1,972 Posts
I was in Dollar Tree scoping out their single endcap of Halloween stuff & went to see what books they had & found "Horns" by Joe Hill. I wanted it mostly 'cause the movie is premiering on Halloween night I wanna read it before it comes out.

I'm having a hard time seeing Daniel Radcliffe as the lead character but I love that kid & he's a pretty capable actor so I'm sure he'll be fine.

I keep looking at the pic on the back cover & all I can think is "He looks EXACTLY like his father only not as creepy." I've often thought SK had beady little eyes, his son doesn't.
Seriously, they have Horns at DT?!?!?!?! I know where I'm going on pay day! I watched the trailer for that the other day and O M G, it looks good, but I'm also a huge fan of Radcliffe (obvious reasons). His American accent is going to take a little getting used to but by the end of the 2:45 trailer, It was already growing on me.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,441 Posts
At mine in Montgomery Village, MD they did. If you don't find any I'll either grab you one or send you my copy when I'm done (if you can wait). It's a hardback but still for $1 even if I hated the book it's still a deal & could be turned into a spell book.

At least now that he's "of age" I don't feel so bad for liking him!

·
Resident Potterhead
1,972 Posts
Oh awesome! I'll let you know if I'm not able to find it, I can totally wait because I'm in the middle of several other series right now anyways lol.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm currently reading The Golden Thread by Karen Wilson Pool.

The Dollar Tree does get some good books in sometimes. I always check whenever I go there. Last year I found a copy of City of the Dead by Brian Keene. I was happy to find it.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts