Halloween Forum banner

121 - 140 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
@radu I don't know if it will help the doors or not, but have you tried running a board diagonally from a top corner to a bottom corner of the door framing?

One suggestion I have about something else to add is maybe change out the hinges you are using for strap hinges. Otherwise it looks amazing, even with the warped doors. The warping gives it a bit more of an aged look.
HauntedWyo,
Thanks for the reply. Yes and no... I have considered adding a board diagonally but didn't think it'd correct the warping. However maybe I will give it a shot. These doors are already heavy I hope my walls can take another 5lbs.

Ahh, you noticed that too.... Yes, the strap hinges were awfully expensive so I am cutting out straps in thin mdf board. $3 for one sheet to cut out all the straps. I have the paint and will cover the hinges.

·
Registered
958 Posts
HauntedWyo,
Thanks for the reply. Yes and no... I have considered adding a board diagonally but didn't think it'd correct the warping. However maybe I will give it a shot. These doors are already heavy I hope my walls can take another 5lbs.

Ahh, you noticed that too.... Yes, the strap hinges were awfully expensive so I am cutting out straps in thin mdf board. $3 for one sheet to cut out all the straps. I have the paint and will cover the hinges.
Maybe you could trade out the 2"x6"s for 2"x4"s or trade out both the 2"x4"s and 2"x6"s for 1"x4"s and then do the diagonal or X boards. That would help lighten the load on your walls. You could also put some casters or some pegs on the lower corners of the doors where the doors come together to also help hold the weight of the doors.

Smart idea to make faux straps.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
I wouldn't worry too much about the warping. It's Halloween. Things are supposed to be falling apart. Just tell everyone you did it on purpose and they'll applaud your talents. :)

However, the door might benefit from some cross beams to add a bit of drama to them. They will probably also firm up the warping of your wood a bit by making cross supports. Sort of a win/win option. Or use some fake hinges to give the door a bit more visual interest. The picture below shows both at play, although I'm sure your efforts would look so much better.

Maybe a bit of tea staining of the rock to make it look more aged might help. Your nighttime lighting choices might be more important in the long run. But all of these suggestions are really just window dressing. You have a great prop. I wouldn't sweat the details too much. Kids come Halloween night sure won't notice anything but a great looking doorway.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the warping. It's Halloween. Things are supposed to be falling apart. Just tell everyone you did it on purpose and they'll applaud your talents. :)

However, the door might benefit from some cross beams to add a bit of drama to them. They will probably also firm up the warping of your wood a bit by making cross supports. Sort of a win/win option. Or use some fake hinges to give the door a bit more visual interest. The picture below shows both at play, although I'm sure your efforts would look so much better.

View attachment 718812

Maybe a bit of tea staining of the rock to make it look more aged might help. Your nighttime lighting choices might be more important in the long run. But all of these suggestions are really just window dressing. You have a great prop. I wouldn't sweat the details too much. Kids come Halloween night sure won't notice anything but a great looking doorway.
Thank you for the suggestions. You have a most impressive doorway. Love the posters too...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Maybe you could trade out the 2"x6"s for 2"x4"s or trade out both the 2"x4"s and 2"x6"s for 1"x4"s and then do the diagonal or X boards. That would help lighten the load on your walls. You could also put some casters or some pegs on the lower corners of the doors where the doors come together to also help hold the weight of the doors.

Smart idea to make faux straps.
Yes, casters. That might be the solution to the overly heavy doors... Thank you!

·
Registered
164 Posts
View attachment 718775

Our crypt doors finally gave out last year, so this year we rebuilt. I went with 1/2" plywood over 2x6 and 2x4 frames. The door is a sheet of ply with 2x4 outside frame for the hinges and 2x6's top and bottom back for support. I used a router and wire-brush wheel to cut and gouge the door to look like individual old planks. My wife added the color once I was done. I'm thinking we need something more, but just not sure... Suggestions?
Also, seems all the paint and stain didn't keep the doors from warping during the last rain. Not sure what I can do now... crud.

View attachment 718775

View attachment 718776
As had been suggested by you all creative haunters... we added hinge straps.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Thank you for the suggestions. You have a most impressive doorway. Love the posters too...
The doorway isn't actually mine. It was designed by David Lowe and shown off on the Hallmark Channel's yearly Halloween prop making special. David Lowe is one of our heroes. The guy is genius when it comes to taking things and finding new ways to use them for Halloween. http://davelowe.blogspot.com is worth a visit just to get ideas.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This thread is always exciting each year to see what everyone is working on!
I haven't had the inspiration to get started on my project this year, but this thread was what I needed. I'm building a new facade as filler between the clock tower and the Arkham Asylum. The one thing I was most bummed about last year was that the door of the asylum wasn't centered on the walkway. This will alleviate that and is an excuse to build another facade!!!!
View attachment 716121
The new facade will go to the left of the clock tower and will be inspired by the "Ace Chemicals" building where Joker fell into the vat in a few different iterations of the story.
View attachment 716122
Nothing exciting yet to post as far as pics, just got some framing built. Just wanted to be part of this thread!! Can't wait to see more of people's projects from this year!!!🎃
That looks like a fantastic movie set, You all just amaze me, I look forward every day to see the new handmade props.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have been inspired by the cooling weather to go in the garage last few evenings trying something new ...a haunted tree for the front yard. I’m going for 12-14’ tall with branches for arms.This is by far my MESSIEST project ever! Lovin’ every minute of it. So far bottom half almost done

Attachments

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have been inspired by the cooling weather to go in the garage last few evenings trying something new ...a haunted tree for the front yard. I’m going for 12-14’ tall with branches arms grabbing 2 tot’s , one of them my tree is dangling up in the air and the other tot he is shoving the head in to a big black cavernous mouth. This is by far my MESSIEST project ever! Lovin’ every minute of it. So far bottom half almost done
That is really looking awesome. Can't wait to see the finished project. What all did you make the tree with?

·
Registered
30 Posts
That is really looking awesome. Can't wait to see the finished project. What all did you make the tree with?
I started with an old barrel for the foundation glued to a piece of plywood. Then chicken wire all the way up with some slats to sturdy it. Pool noodles with wire inside for the branches and arms.The bark is made from paper yard bags because they are sturdy and super cheap. Then joint compound mixed with latex paint to slather on the mess. 3 layers later I have this. Now to finish the face , arms
and top piece . Then the fun begins with paint, real branches and twigs added. I use only junk that I have collected, found Or scavenged. My costs are for the mud and bags.

Attachments

·
Registered
958 Posts
I started with an old barrel for the foundation glued to a piece of plywood. Then chicken wire all the way up with some slats to sturdy it. Pool noodles with wire inside for the branches and arms.The bark is made from paper yard bags because they are sturdy and super cheap. Then joint compound mixed with latex paint to slather on the mess. 3 layers later I have this. Now to finish the face , arms
and top piece . Then the fun begins with paint, real branches and twigs added. I use only junk that I have collected, found Or scavenged. My costs are for the mud and bags.
Very clever. I think it is great when people recycle or use found items to make things. The painting and adding of branches and twigs will really take it over the top and bring it all to life. That is what makes it fun.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
I’ve changed my mind about having the tree grabbing TOTs .maybe just have the branches , moss and skeletons hanging or climbing
We agree with you. If the kiddies going down the gullet of a tree were obviously fake, it might be different, but youngsters have a hard time seeing other kids in jeopardy without it stressing them out. The ones who laugh usually wind up on the 11:00 news somewhere down the line. :)

121 - 140 of 171 Posts
About this Discussion
170 Replies
47 Participants
Therewolf
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing