Halloween Forum banner

221 - 233 of 233 Posts

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
537 Posts
I have a 3" PVC tube buried in the ground permanently. I use it for multiple Halloween characters depending on the year. This year's Pumpkin King has a 2" PVC "spine" with a 2" to 3" PVC transition at the bottom and then I screw it to predrilled holes on the 3" PVC tube in the ground so it doesn't twist side to side.

So, everything is 2" PVC except for the arms. After the shoulders, I go from 2" to 1 1/2" PVC and use screws as opposed to PVC cement so that I can remove the arms easily for storage. Smaller PVC equal less weight way out in front which equals less bend of the spine. The ribs are made of 1 1/2" - 3/4" PVC from bottom to top. Everything is covered in Great Stuff for texture. It's painted with FLAT Rust-oleum Camouflage paint with the base of earth brown with forest green and dark tan highlights. The hands/fingers are 14 2 Romex painted flat black.

The head was a large solid foam pumpkin I found at Michaels Craft Store. I hollowed it out (which totally SUCKS because the foam beads go EVERYWHERE and it takes a lot of effort) to about 3/4" thick walls. Then I carved the face into it. Then I sealed the whole thing inside with Modge Podge because it will get wet inside. Then I sandwiched the inside bottom and outside bottom of the pumpkin in between two 6" square 1/8" plywood pieces and Gorilla Glue'd a 2" PVC coupler (you could use a 2" PVC cap as well) into a center hole I cut into the 1/8th" plywood.

I bought several packages of 1x3 meter (3' x 9') Cheesecloth and multiple bottles of black RIT dye, followed the instructions and made the cape. I used to use bed sheets but they hold so much water that it becomes SO HEAVY that it was bending the 2" PVC. Cheesecloth is light and doesn't hold that much water so it's much better.

I'm using a super bright LED light strip. It's looks great in either green or red as the entire pumpkin head glows through.
LED Strip Lights I use

That's pretty much my tutorial. If you have any question please ask! Always willing to share stuff I've figured out!

Scarab

Pix of how I attached the PVC coupler for clarity. These pix are NOT from this project but it's the same idea I used on my smaller Pumpkin Minions project.
View attachment 722898

View attachment 722899

View attachment 722900

This is my Skeleton King which is much larger. Over 12" tall. I used 3" PVC for him because the head is fiberglass and heavy. Same basic concept though just larger in scale.
View attachment 722902
Thanks, Similar but simpler build to my grave walker. I know all to well about the foam beads. It's been "snowing' in my garage a few times during builds. There is an existing 3" flag pole mount in my yard I use the same way, but I did not put it there. My ghoul is mounted in it with 1 1/2" PVC pole, but one hot day and it bent, looking to up it to 2". I've a big Skull head like the one on your skeleton king, but it is some type of epoxy/ceramic and super heave for a pole otherwise I would probably build that too.... I may yet.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thanks, Similar but simpler build to my grave walker. I know all to well about the foam beads. It's been "snowing' in my garage a few times during builds. There is an existing 3" flag pole mount in my yard I use the same way, but I did not put it there. My ghoul is mounted in it with 1 1/2" PVC pole, but one hot day and it bent, looking to up it to 2". I've a big Skull head like the one on your skeleton king, but it is some type of epoxy/ceramic and super heave for a pole otherwise I would probably build that too.... I may yet.
I'm telling you, you may just want to go to 3" PVC from the get-go. I've built 3 different versions of these "monsters". Started with 1 1/2" PVC then to 2" then to 3". I'd like to just do everything in 3" and have a single prop to switch out heads. I've definitely started going for re-usability in the past few years. I just spray a different color on my props and change out the heads based on what I'm doing that year for a theme.

I got that enormous Skeleton head I THINK from Home Depot. And yes, it's like a fiber-y, ceramic epoxy. I thought it may be fiberglass because of the fibers in the material but who knows. It's HEAVY. That's why I went 3" and put a 3/4" conduit pipe up the back of the 3" PVC for extra support. I also removed the crappy light up eyes and replaced them with these in multiple colors from the same vendor....
10mm Prop Eyes

Scarab

·
Registered
96 Posts
My theme for the front yard is a school / classroom vibe. So, for my school, I needed my version of dementors.

The creation of these is no different then the burlap + grim reaper DIY.............................Thus, I first created a concrete stand using a plastic planter as my mold and inserted a piece of pvc inside the wet cement. I then added a PVC stand and inserted a rod inside the vertical pvc for support, then mixed up some cement and soaked painters fabric into the cement (make sure fabric is wet, will help with the adhesion, but be careful, because once the fabric is soaked in cement it is heavy). Now, wait a couple of days and let the cement turn the fabric into concrete, so while that is drying, create the head and hands using Mr Chickens paper mache / corpsing technique (
). Seal everything with DryLok masonry sealer and then display outside during Halloween month.

So far, out in the yard the dementors have actually balanced themselves pretty good but a strong enough wind could knock them down. Thus, I've tied them up from the back side and so far, so good. Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night...

·
Registered
167 Posts
It looks great! Got any videos of it in action?
I should get a good demo going and upload one by this weekend! The arms need to be tweaked a little so as not to strain the pneumatic cylinders. I’m thinking about adding a jacket and tie as well before I put on the fake blood.

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
537 Posts
All the major Items are out and on Display, just some detail work and some webbing to do.
New Items for 2019:
GraveWalker "Grimm" (rebuilt)
New Electric Chair
Large Spider web (building a spider to match)
Spider victim / cocoon (not shown)
All new Fencing
Ghoul is pole mounted
New LED Blacklight Floods
New LED spotlights
Witches Cauldron, Tripod & fire/coals

Panorama of the whole thing.

Skeleton on Motor Cycle, and my Ghoul, "Sven" (SvenGhoulie:LOL:)

Sven, New Electric Chair and Rack with corpsed skeleton.

Electric Chair, Rack and my gravewalker, Grimm

Grimm and Spider Web

Spider Web and TARDIS Tombstone

Main Walkway, Stocks, Cauldron is way in back

Public Side, Stock and Guillotine are public Access

A little Fun, 'Spike' has chased a Skeleton, and Skelly cat up a tree. Cat and pup skeleton courtesy of my Reaper!

One of my favorite, and simplest props.

221 - 233 of 233 Posts