Halloween Forum banner

181 - 200 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks! It’s a back drop piece that will be lit inside. The trim is just dollar tree ribbon with peel and stick fusing. I think for $2 it really helped. The foam moon from Michael’s will be on top. Still have to build Zaltana’s table but overall I think the idea of a little fortune telling gypsy camp is coming out just like I needed it to and since I have zero space the PVC frame will break down easily.
She’s so cute!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is my addition to my cemetery this year. I purchased the base at an auction -- it's made of some sort of resin/plaster. I added two extra "steps" out of wood and the cross itself is made of 4x4s with a skin of 1/2" styrofoam. Drywall mud was used to fill/hide the seams and add texture. It was then carved and weathered. Finally, it was painted using fairly standard techniques.

I'm quite pleased with the results!

DSC_8218.JPG

·
Registered
712 Posts
This is my addition to my cemetery this year. I purchased the base at an auction -- it's made of some sort of resin/plaster. I added two extra "steps" out of wood and the cross itself is made of 4x4s with a skin of 1/2" styrofoam. Drywall mud was used to fill/hide the seams and add texture. It was then carved and weathered. Finally, it was painted using fairly standard techniques.

I'm quite pleased with the results!

View attachment 721148
Love the detail on this!! Great job!!

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
536 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Holy cow, you guys are so talented! Now I know what happened to those people who were so good in shop and art class!!!

Thanks to all who have shared so far.
I flunked art class and never took any shop classes. I am a mother of 5 and had to learn how to be creative and make things on the cheap. I know how to sew and I am a quilt maker when I have the time or am in the mood. My sewing room is in the basement where it can get rather cool and it doesn't have a lot of natural light so I don't really like hanging out in there all that much. Now that my kids are grown and out of the house (pretty much) I decided to continue to be creative for the people/kids around town to enjoy.

·
536 Posts
I flunked art class and never took any shop classes. I am a mother of 5 and had to learn how to be creative and make things on the cheap. I know how to sew and I am a quilt maker when I have the time or am in the mood. My sewing room is in the basement where it can get rather cool and it doesn't have a lot of natural light so I don't really like hanging out in there all that much. Now that my kids are grown and out of the house (pretty much) I decided to continue to be creative for the people/kids around town to enjoy.
Funny, I started creating my own tombstones because i was too cheap to pay for what they wanted in stores. Now I spend much more on my creations then if I just bought the 'cheap' store ones. I guess the difference is, 10 years later, I still have my tombstones (slightly upgraded), any store bought stuff is long gone.

Plus, if you want that unique, personal item, you have to make it yourself. You will not find an Abbey normal and Hans Delbruck tombstone in any store. If you are not familiar with those names you MUST watch Young Frankenstein! "It's pronounced Fronkensteen"

·
Registered
73 Posts
I hadn’t intended to make anything new this year, because life, but I stumbled upon a grandfather clock body at goodwill at a last chance price. The works are a mess, but the body and the glass is intact.

My plan at the moment is to take out the face, replace it with a velum panel and project blinking cat eyes from the rear. I plan to paint it flat black with two shades of purple accents, one metallic and one glow in the dark. Also, remove all the guts- chains and weights, the arm the pendulum would have hung from, etc.- and fill the belly with shelves for holding curiosities/oddities. (Ideally, I’d love to have a taxidermy crow in a top hat and vest with a tiny pocket watch to display in there.)

The best detail of this clock body, IMO, is that the knobs look like large replica watch winding knobs.
View attachment 720378
Following up, Got ‘er (almost) done. The picture is horrible. (I tried to upload a short video clip, but .mov isn’t an accepted file type.)

Has a cool look in person. You can almost feel the haughty cat disdain, like it’s slightly irritated and bored with your shenanigans. 😏

If anybody wonders, it’s the Gemmy ‘EyeScreams LED light-show’. The eyes are that size (9 3/4 inches wide) at about 15 inches from the velum, but packaging says says it’ll project up to 8 feet wide. The canister is a little Jack O Lantern, it has a nice focus feature and a swivel joint where it meets the yard stake.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Following up, Got ‘er (almost) done. The picture is horrible. (I tried to upload a short video clip, but .mov isn’t an accepted file type.)

Has a cool look in person. You can almost feel the haughty cat disdain, like it’s slightly irritated and bored with your shenanigans. 😏

If anybody wonders, it’s the Gemmy ‘EyeScreams LED light-show’. The eyes are that size (9 3/4 inches wide) at about 15 inches from the velum, but packaging says says it’ll project up to 8 feet wide. The canister is a little Jack O Lantern, it has a nice focus feature and a swivel joint where it meets the yard stake. View attachment 722115
That looks really cool.

·
536 Posts
Rain and wind this weekend kept me away from doing more 'body work' I Grim. I did manage to construct his hands.
View attachment 721244 View attachment 721245 View attachment 721246
Another rainy weekend, so I had to take Grimm into sections and work in the garage. He is now complete and on display. Will get some day photos.

Yard setup is still in progress, so the cords are just temporary, have nice weather for a few days, so hope to get some good pictures of Grimm and the whole lay out, or at least what is done so far.

181 - 200 of 233 Posts