Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the sure signs of spring seems to be that the head count on the Halloween Props forum skyrocket. There are 411 folks out there right now looking at the same stuff we are. We're pretty sure we're all out there looking to get ideas and help on what we're hoping to make this year.

We hope to finish filling in the front stairwell's mausoleums, including one with an eternal hallway, one with a floating candle, and one that will have a furry grave grabber crawling out from under. As you can see, there are big gaps showing the stairs to the house. By October of this year, we want them all filled in. Other things may be added to the list as time goes on, but right now, that's at the top of any list we make.

stairwell.jpg

So, what's on your to do list? How are you going to captivate or terrorize your Trick or Treaters this year? Let us know, and of course show lots of pictures, because some of us love seeing your handiwork.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Oh my gosh, where do I begin?

One project I've been really happy with so far are the swamp lanterns for our Troll scene:

Next on my list is a collapsible tree for the same scene. Not really sure how to execute it, but I'm thinking of using those kids' collapsible tunnels and hanging them from the 11' ceiling, then getting butcher paper and making the "bark" from it.

This will be followed by making our elastic cave wall, which will really require its own thread for. For the most part, I'll be making that one up on the fly.

After that, it's the facade sign (that the great Chubstuff weighed in on in another thread), and then our entrance cave/arch/portal thing. And then after that....well, one thing at a time, I guess :rolleyes:

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I need to make two brick or stone columns to set off a gate in my fence. One column will hold my projector to project on the house.

Would love any links to tutorials on building freestanding columns and covering with faux brick.
Here are a couple of tutorials that might help. The first is actually from right here on the Halloween Forum. This really is one of the best places to go wandering if you're looking for help on projects. https://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-and-step-by-step/109461-nightmare-bayshore-crypt-cemetary-columns.html is a basic look at the bones of any square column used for cemetery fences.

http://highburycemetery.blogspot.com/2013/11/2013-prop-how-to-cemetery-gate-entrance.html is a nice blog that shows another version of making the prop.

Here's a video from Hollywood Haunter that shows a pretty rare approach to gateway pillars. They're made entirely out of wood. But they are right; those things will stand up to a lot of wear and tear. https://youtu.be/WCiG2ZvLZG0 .

Other videos that might help can be found at https://youtu.be/H5XxWXAeY0A a stone set of columns that could easily be made into a brick version. You can try Halloween Forum favorite Oak Lane Cemetery's take on the pillars: https://youtu.be/D2bBdrWYQR0 . This works if you can find a source for the block foam. We asked every tractor supply place in our neighborhood and none of them have the blocks available. They don't ship that way to our neck of the woods apparently. But if you have a resource, what a great way to go. And lastly, Hallmark Chanel's take on columns at https://youtu.be/0gnerHEVoOI

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. While everyone probably has their own way of finding info, two of my favorite are to just type it into this site's search engine. It's not really great, so you get all sorts of suggestions that are all over the place, and that's why I like it. It might show me what I want, but more than likely, I'll find something I love that I never knew I wanted. The other way is to do a Google search and click on images. Follow the images that most closely approximate what you're hoping to make and see where it leads. For instance you might want to type in Halloween Cemetery Columns tutorials, and you come up with this https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&client=opera&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=rROwXI7cEsHh-gS50a74DQ&q=halloween+cemetery+column+tutorial&oq=halloween+cemetery+column+tutorial&gs_l=img.12...0.0..4844217...0.0..0.0.0.......1......gws-wiz-img.MgMLqodG3eI.

Hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
964 Posts
I kinda cannot believe we are about 6 months out. We normally do a witch display with a ton of handmade witch “kitchen” ingredients and spell books. This year we’re expanding the witch kitchen to a demented garden/farm. Have scarecrows, hay bales, and I’m working on a series of spooky produce. Actually made some ghost fruit tonight. Trying to come up with others. Putrid potatoes? Crazy Carrots (Easter clearance maybe). Still need another witch. Also need to build a massive moon for our new werewolf prop.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This year we’re expanding the witch kitchen to a demented garden/farm.Trying to come up with others. Putrid potatoes? Crazy Carrots (Easter clearance maybe). Still need another witch. Also need to build a massive moon for our new werewolf prop.
While his approach might be a bit too light for your needs, David Lowe created a farmer's market of sorts one year for the people over at Hallmark. We might never do anything like it, but we socked it away in our files of things we thought were great. You can find more pictures and details at http://davelowe.blogspot.com/2017/10/25-days-til-halloween-farmer-frightfuls.html

MarketHalloweenHallmark.png

As for the full moon for your werewolf, https://blog.homedepot.com/spooky-halloween-werewolf-scene/ was one that impressed us.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Actually, that stand from Dave Lowe started our gears turning. I’d love to build it but my attic is completely full. Halloween Forum member Skelly215 did an awesome farm set up as well. My yard space is limited and my audience is little kids so trying to keep it “cute”. And the moon idea, totally using it. We managed to get that exact werewolf last year on clearance for about $50. I have a friend whose husband is a garbage collector and he managed to get me tons of Christmas trees, faux of course but they make an excellent forest.

There’s the first piece of produce that will go in a wood crate. Ghost fruit for the win. They’re not complicated but get the point across.

3C7D0F1C-D664-4C20-B0AF-AE489C1FF037.jpg

·
Registered
13,514 Posts
I want to construct some "high voltage" electric fencing for my dino setting and I tentatively have an idea to explore on my next visit to HomeDepot for the base and posts. Limited tools and skill so KISS is the guiding principle. ;)

I have some of those red LED flashing traffic cone lights that I'm expecting at the end of this week to top the posts off with. Must remember to plan how I'm going to turn them on if they are 8 feet high, hopefully without pulling out a ladder for each one! Some type of rope that I can spray silver or gray will be the cabling. Still have to pick up a high voltage sign. Hopefully just one of a few items to get done and now the weather is rather nice so motivated to get started. Also want to work on a transformer like Terra did years back. I've waited too long in the past to get started and then the hot summer sets in. Expecting some rain this week and maybe that will be it. I do miss having a basement where you can comfortably work all year round at any hour when the mood strikes you.

BTW also Love the swamp lanterns and ideas for the tree @Jaurhead!

·
Registered
79 Posts
The lanterns look great. Trolls are pretty ingenious. Are you making trolls too?
Thank you so much! Our theme revolves around fairy tales, and this one scene takes after the Three Billy Goats Gruff. We will have one large troll character that comes roaring out at guests, but we're also making a couple goat people costumes for actors to roam around in. It's a bit of a production, really - patrons will cross a bridge that groans, rumbles and shakes while the goat people beckon them across. Once a sensor is tripped halfway across the bridge, the lights dim, fog pours and the goat people flee into hiding. The troll roars and comes barreling out from behind (or maybe from under the bridge if we can swing it), chasing them to the end of the room and onto the next scene.

Sorry, that's way more information than you asked for but I can't help but try to tell the story :eek:

I want to construct some "high voltage" electric fencing for my dino setting and I tentatively have an idea to explore on my next visit to HomeDepot for the base and posts. Limited tools and skill so KISS is the guiding principle. ;)

I have some of those red LED flashing traffic cone lights that I'm expecting at the end of this week to top the posts off with. Must remember to plan how I'm going to turn them on if they are 8 feet high, hopefully without pulling out a ladder for each one! Some type of rope that I can spray silver or gray will be the cabling. Still have to pick up a high voltage sign. Hopefully just one of a few items to get done and now the weather is rather nice so motivated to get started. Also want to work on a transformer like Terra did years back. I've waited too long in the past to get started and then the hot summer sets in. Expecting some rain this week and maybe that will be it. I do miss having a basement where you can comfortably work all year round at any hour when the mood strikes you.

BTW also Love the swamp lanterns and ideas for the tree @Jaurhead!
Thanks a bunch! I love your dino theme - will have to stalk your previous posts to see if you've shared any pictures thus far ;)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Here are a couple of tutorials that might help. The first is actually from right here on the Halloween Forum. This really is one of the best places to go wandering if you're looking for help on projects. https://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-and-step-by-step/109461-nightmare-bayshore-crypt-cemetary-columns.html is a basic look at the bones of any square column used for cemetery fences.

http://highburycemetery.blogspot.com/2013/11/2013-prop-how-to-cemetery-gate-entrance.html is a nice blog that shows another version of making the prop.

Here's a video from Hollywood Haunter that shows a pretty rare approach to gateway pillars. They're made entirely out of wood. But they are right; those things will stand up to a lot of wear and tear. https://youtu.be/WCiG2ZvLZG0 .

Other videos that might help can be found at https://youtu.be/H5XxWXAeY0A a stone set of columns that could easily be made into a brick version. You can try Halloween Forum favorite Oak Lane Cemetery's take on the pillars: https://youtu.be/D2bBdrWYQR0 . This works if you can find a source for the block foam. We asked every tractor supply place in our neighborhood and none of them have the blocks available. They don't ship that way to our neck of the woods apparently. But if you have a resource, what a great way to go. And lastly, Hallmark Chanel's take on columns at https://youtu.be/0gnerHEVoOI

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. While everyone probably has their own way of finding info, two of my favorite are to just type it into this site's search engine. It's not really great, so you get all sorts of suggestions that are all over the place, and that's why I like it. It might show me what I want, but more than likely, I'll find something I love that I never knew I wanted. The other way is to do a Google search and click on images. Follow the images that most closely approximate what you're hoping to make and see where it leads. For instance you might want to type in Halloween Cemetery Columns tutorials, and you come up with this https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&client=opera&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=rROwXI7cEsHh-gS50a74DQ&q=halloween+cemetery+column+tutorial&oq=halloween+cemetery+column+tutorial&gs_l=img.12...0.0..4844217...0.0..0.0.0.......1......gws-wiz-img.MgMLqodG3eI.

Hope that helps. :)
Thanks chubstuff for the great research and links!

I have Googled but many turorials aren't quite what I'm looking for. I think I'm going to have to modify several designs. I will definitely check out your links. thanks again!

·
Registered
964 Posts
One of the sure signs of spring seems to be that the head count on the Halloween Props forum skyrocket. There are 411 folks out there right now looking at the same stuff we are. We're pretty sure we're all out there looking to get ideas and help on what we're hoping to make this year.

We hope to finish filling in the front stairwell's mausoleums, including one with an eternal hallway, one with a floating candle, and one that will have a furry grave grabber crawling out from under. As you can see, there are big gaps showing the stairs to the house. By October of this year, we want them all filled in. Other things may be added to the list as time goes on, but right now, that's at the top of any list we make.

View attachment 582641

So, what's on your to do list? How are you going to captivate or terrorize your Trick or Treaters this year? Let us know, and of course show lots of pictures, because some of us love seeing your handiwork.
So I have a question and love the direction you’re going... but where do you store the larger items?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I have a question and love the direction you’re going... but where do you store the larger items?
We live on the edge of a small city, so our property looks decidedly more like a rural home than an urban one. There is a very large shed in the backyard, and that's where we keep all the large items. The rest of the smaller stuff gets stored in the garage in totes. The garage actually has a carport, so the garage itself has never seen an actual car in it in over 35 years. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
We live on the edge of a small city, so our property looks decidedly more like a rural home than an urban one. There is a very large shed in the backyard, and that's where we keep all the large items. The rest of the smaller stuff gets stored in the garage in totes. The garage actually has a carport, so the garage itself has never seen an actual car in it in over 35 years. :)
I've lived in Southern California all my life - I don't know what it's like to have a garage big enough for a car and storage! Let alone havning LAND for a shed! :D My parents just moved to TN a couple of years ago and now have all these amenities, and they love it.

I decided to take on a project last night...making an enormous dragon head. It currently sits at 4' tall from front to back.

I'm trying to figure out what kind of wire mesh to use to sculpt all the details and features so that I can mache over it later. I've read about hardware cloth (doesn't look delicate enough for all the details) and aluminum window screen material (will it hold its shape while sculpting and shaping?). Any recommendations would be great - I can get artist's wire mesh for model making, but it comes in tiny quantities. I'm going to need a bulk amount.

·
Registered
964 Posts
L
I've lived in Southern California all my life - I don't know what it's like to have a garage big enough for a car and storage! Let alone havning LAND for a shed! :D My parents just moved to TN a couple of years ago and now have all these amenities, and they love it.

I decided to take on a project last night...making an enormous dragon head. It currently sits at 4' tall from front to back.

I'm trying to figure out what kind of wire mesh to use to sculpt all the details and features so that I can mache over it later. I've read about hardware cloth (doesn't look delicate enough for all the details) and aluminum window screen material (will it hold its shape while sculpting and shaping?). Any recommendations would be great - I can get artist's wire mesh for model making, but it comes in tiny quantities. I'm going to need a bulk amount.
Lots of dragon-y goodness! Can’t wait to see the finished dragon!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm trying to figure out what kind of wire mesh to use to sculpt all the details and features so that I can mache over it later.
We're no experts on making large paper mache critters, but there are sure a bundle of them out on the net we respect as we prepare to make our first large scaled paper mache prop. And surprisingly, most of them don't use wire forms to hold everything in place. They start off with a framework like what you have and then add the detailing by wadding up paper and mashing it into shape with patience and tons of masking tape. http://www.jennevieve.com/large-papier-mache-dog-tutorial.html shows how a dog came together, and https://wvartist.wordpress.com/2011/11/21/the-big-head-project/ where they make all manner of big heads without the help of wire.

Others use wadded up aluminum foil covered in masking tape for their horns and details. Aluminum foil is super sturdy, but doesn't hold onto paper mache. I think you've really got all you need in the way of a solid framework to begin putting your dragon together without wire at all. https://youtu.be/2vlFkRngRQY is a great video on the making of an elephant and you'll notice that the body is put together not unlike your dragon. In no projects we've looked at online was wire ever used for the detailing of a project. It was always used for broad, general shapes; something you've already accomplished with your cardboard.

With our project, the Indian Jones and the Totally Gross First Sequel stone skull, we'll be using Great Stuff to fill in gaps on the backside. The front will be all layers of paper mache and paper clay for the details.

IndySkull.jpg

That alone should keep him upright as we start the more detailed work of making him look like carved stone. But that's the fun of any project we do. Somewhere along the line, we'll probably post something here showing if our guesses worked out, or if we had to try something completely different. :)

·
Registered
964 Posts
We have a neighbor who has an amazing mausoleum and massive fence he builds. He has a shed just for his props. I truly envy you and others who have the storage space. I did get my husband to add more decking in the attic but I would say 2/3s is Halloween. Guess I could always toss out the lame Christmas decorations. :p

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,469 Posts
We've been working on props for our Druid Tomb theme haunt. I have 7 skull staffs in the works for some of our crew to carry, a few lanterns and soon we'll start on a crypt build which will be a focal point of one wall and a distraction for one of our main scares. My haunt partner (forum member lewlew) will be carving some foam Stonehenge-like obelisks and monoliths for the front display, as well as some interior catacombs. It should come together nicely. compared to last year, this build is more straight forward and simpler, and we'll be using a lot of components from previous haunts to flesh it out.

1 - 20 of 171 Posts
About this Discussion
170 Replies
47 Participants
Therewolf
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing