Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get to work in the backyard this year. I'm planning a western town, with a bunch of old buildings, a doctor's office, and many other creepy shops.

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
We're about 99% sure we are doing a funeral theme.
Want to bring the skeletal organist back to play at the funeral.
We've been waniting to build a coffin bar since I saw one posted her last halloween and that fits in perfectly with the theme.
Oh and we need something that grabs, springs or pops haha Not sure what yet, but I think my guests miss that unexpected element of suprise last year.
Ha! maybe we'll let the deceased jump up :D

MsM

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,487 Posts
We're about 99% sure we are doing a funeral theme.
Want to bring the skeletal organist back to play at the funeral.
We've been waniting to build a coffin bar since I saw one posted her last halloween and that fits in perfectly with the theme.
Oh and we need something that grabs, springs or pops haha Not sure what yet, but I think my guests miss that unexpected element of suprise last year.
Ha! maybe we'll let the deceased jump up :D

MsM
We're doing a funeral theme for our party this year too. :)

I'm trying to collect oddities that you'd see in an old Victorian type parlor (just found a puffer fish that is going to be mounted in some sort of bell jar display).

I'm also building a moving eyes portrait. DaveintheGrave built me some amazing motorized eyes, and I am going to paint up an almost lifesized portrait and it's going to look like there's a secret peephole behind the painting like in the old movies.

Still looking for more ideas for the party, but the graveyard is getting a few new stones (my angel mini-beloved, stone of the werewolf) and I'm building a styro stone well for a Ring/Samara setup, my FCG is going to actually fly this year, and we may be adding a singing tombstone based off of ImaginEERIEing's Yorick talking skull if I can get the projector/screen figured out.

Lots to do, and only 5 months left!:eek:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hospital meets Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Lots of blood and loud music. We have the walls built out for the new configuration, hopefully will get the cardboard up and painted (gloss white) this weekend.

Stacy

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
A wicked carnival theme. I figured this year I'd go off the beaten path and try something very different (well, in this area, anyways):cool:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Expanding our backyard trail, we have just built a new deck (actors stage) and added a new entrance arch in the woods......work is in progress we have lots of new props. We also want to built a small mine shack.....its all fun.

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
I've made a theme poster that will focus my design elements (was a bit of a mish mash last year). It's going to be vampires set in an apocalyptic future with 'Terra' as the icon. I will add a lot more animation and will be converting half the garage haunt to 3D.

Here's the poster:

·
Registered
576 Posts
Toxic Spill Zombie Catastrophe.

Even though Wifeypoo is giving me the "slow no", I will move my walk-thru to the back yard, along with all the actors and candy giving. I scored a large trampolene from my departing neighbors (the religious ones) and will use that as the kingpost to hold up the black plastic walls. Sort of like a wheel with 6 spokes (walls) and the ToT's walk around the perimeter into a new room.

The front yard will be a new cemetery with all the tombstones I'm making, new lighting, new grim reaper, new groundbreaker, new reaching-skelly-from-a-coffin (if I can find the neck massager), new fence pillars...

·
Registered
691 Posts
I plan to add more to my house and make it more creepy! :) I plan on buying lots of black lights with a graveyard infront of my home. Then as usual I'm putting up lots of cob webs up. I'll be outside and doing like a fortune teller session, as I'm doing there fortune, my friend will come around the corner and scare them, haha. If there little kids I don't plan on giving them much fright, I don't want no parents yelling at me.

I keep writing in this section with ideas and updates. A lot of new ideas are coming to my mind but I'm starting from scratch and everyday new ideas come to my mind. A new idea came to my head today and I was planning on making a gate around my graveyard. I didn't do that last year so this year I plan on doing that and buying lots of jack-o-lanterns cause I didn't buy a single one last year. :( Can't forget those this year! I'll keep you updated. :)

·
crossfit zombie
7,590 Posts
More tombstones,more animation(massager zombie-full size massager zombie-singing elvis skeleton-hex)plus my other stuff from last year and a peppers ghost effect.About all my props are done.Adding led lights.

80 percent of party supplies bought plus tot goodie bag stuff just waiting for the big night.

·
Master of my own Universe
975 Posts
Mainly upgrading and replacing some of last years haunt. Have just completed the faux stone walls for the garage and the old panels from last year have gone into making a prison wall for inside the garage. Have purchased PVC pipe and fittings which will be used to replace the timber frame for the garage interior.

A few stones to replace some from last year, have used shiatsu's to create a new creature reacher and animate an existing one,and built the popup tombstone peeper from the prop build group.

still in the plans to build - skull fountain, fullsize coffin and stocks. Also upgrade the stirring witch.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Hoping to have things put together for a dark Alice in Wonderland theme this year - I've made a lot of progress on the head of the March Hare (have some paint on it - wondering if I'm going to add a full fur coat on the head, or give it a badly manged look with lots of skin and patches of fur).

My Cheshire Cat is a bit more challenging - coming up with the right look for the cat is proving difficult.
I've never liked the Disney version, and want something that's going to be decidedly creepy, but still be "obvious" enough to use in a Pepper's Ghost effect (I'll need to keep the smile lit, without light bleeding onto the Cat himself, so I can fade him in and out).
I also am trying to avoid the over-used American McGee version of the Cheshire Cat - although, I really like that version a whole bunch! American McGee's version will certainly be a heavy influence, but I'm hoping to make it a bit more "realistic", but still highly disturbing.

Not sure if I'm going to play the part of the Mad Hatter - would certainly save me the task of another sculpture, but I kind of have a vision of what I'd like the Hatter to look like...and he looks nothing like me. It would certainly give me the opportunity to play in the haunt, on Halloween night.

Need to make a lot more skeletal hands and arms, along with skulls, to make some Playing Card Soldiers that have passed away (or risen from the grave), and I am still considering how I'm going to have Alice portrayed.

Sadly, the Doormouse will be simple - he's been drowned in the teapot. Back half of the Doormouse sticking out of a large teapot...I think the teapot will be more challenging than the Doormouse (paper mache - getting it smooth like fine china is the what I'm concerned with).

I'm working on the table for the Tea Party, and am cutting it at odd angles, to disrupt the perspective, and hopefully give it a more dreamlike / nightmarish quality.

...and yes, this is all a "display" kind of haunt - I don't have the resources at this time to put together a walk-through type of haunt.

·
Registered
171 Posts
As we only host a party my plans as they stand at the moment are:

Front Garden: Hellmouth, Floating Pumpkin Scarecrow, red floodlights, writing in chalk (maybe crazy quotes and whatnot..) symbols all over the place. Zombie/Demon Groundbreakers maybe? with lots of leaves/twigs too.

Vestibule or 2nd Hallway: Toying with having a digital puppet as a magic mirror set up here.

Living room: Giant Witchcraft seal on floor with summoning triangle in 'blood' - red paint. Stone wall Scene Setter (SS) against kitchen - Forrest Scene-Setter around other walls. A witch in a hut with cauldron in corner with voodoo dolls, blair witch twigs n bookshelf of potions/ingredients. candles, fog machine, mortar/pestle, string lights. ouija board. strobe etc

Kitchen: Pirate? Egyptian? Mad Scientist Lab? Cannibal Meat shop? Crime Scene? Malice in Wonderland? - not decided yet.

Downstairs Toilet: Stalker Room - LOTS of pics of same people with their eyes blacked out, weird writing and insults, bible quotes about sinners perhaps?
News clippings etc - floor to ceiling covered in pictures

·
Registered
66 Posts
Toxic Spill Zombie Catastrophe.

The front yard will be a new cemetery with all the tombstones I'm making, new lighting, new grim reaper, new groundbreaker, new reaching-skelly-from-a-coffin (if I can find the neck massager), new fence pillars...
Big help is to head to either Goodwill or sign up for a Freecycle program in your area. You can get a massager (or almost anything else) for nothing or next to nothing...

·
Registered
167 Posts
So far I have made new for this year: FCG, Donna The Dead gravestone popper, combo monster in a box/grave grabber werewolf, graveyard keeper with moving arm, mechanism for moving my witches head, and a couple motion sensor triggers.
My theme is New Orleans based, with a pirate section, graveyard, and witches area. I dress up like a voodoo medicine man. I will have my FCG under the front porch, where I sit and hand out candy. I will be putting the werewolf on the side of the house, and have my Jack-in-the-box in the driveway. ( I also plan on making Jack sway back and forth at the TOT'ers.) I might make a few more headstones.
Now if I could just find room to store everything.......

1 - 20 of 44 Posts