Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is October 1st, so here we go. This is the month we have all been waiting for.

So, what do you have in your arsenal to keep your ToTers happy?

Personally, I would love to give out chocolate. I firmly believe chocolate is the best treat. However, my wallet has a different value system.

I go for sheer amount of candy vs deliciousness, since we get well over 1000 ToTs each year. We get more every year, and last year almost ran out of candy due to even more trick or treaters than we planned for. It is a double edged sword! I want to stay out in my haunt the full 3 hours our community allows for trick or treating. Going inside and leaving kids without a treat would break my heart. At the end of each halloween night we are the only house on our block still lit up and giving out treats, so we want to continue that tradition.

I shop online as we live extremely rural and have one option: Walmart. So all items have been purchased online at walmart, with free shipping added in.

So here what we have so far:

3 cans of neon bracelets - 100 each can, for 299 total. (These were leftover from last year and still work when you break 'em. I tested, so have 299 instead of 300.)

12 Wonka Fun Dip candy with 40 pkgs each, 480 total. (These were very very popular last year.)

4 10.2 oz packages of soft n chewy Sour Patch Kids. I am going to guesstimate 20 in each, for a 80 total ( My kids love these)

6 Dubble Bubble Assorted Gumballs, with 100 gumball per package, 600 total

6 Spangler Dum Dum, @ 300 dum dums each, 1800 total

4 Tootsie Roll, @400 ea, for 1600 total

Because I had the 3 cans of bracelets left over from last year and they are still working when you break them open, I have spent less than $155.00 for the above candy, including tax and shipping. I will get a few more bags of candy on Oct 31st during my annual last minute trip to walmart.

I feel I have enough to grab a handful and throw in a kid's bag. We did a cost analysis of chocolate, and the 425 count bags of chocolate @walmart would have cost over $250-$350 for the candy amounts we needed. While I would love to spend that, we just cannot.

I know some of you here spend that and more, and that is awesome.

So, I'd love to know what you have for your ToTs! And I hope this doesn't come off as a judgemental, weird post about money, candy costs, or trying to be one uppy. I feel sad I can't give out really "good" candy, but think that any treat is wonderful, too!

If you have time list what you got, where you got it, etc. Maybe we can help each other out with tips and tricks!

Also, another poster here got me thinking: It is a Friday halloween this year- does this mean more ToTs? I haven't been haunting long enough to experience a Friday or weekend Halloween. Do you get more kids because it is a weekend? It would make sense that there would be even more kids out on a weekend.

·
Registered
600 Posts
This is the one time a year I spend too much! I buy full size candy bars from costco, also fun dips and laughy taffy. We get a lot of kids, but I really enjoy giving out the big candy bars . We are in our forties and well established though, so it an affordable expense for us.

·
Registered
158 Posts
We made treat bags with a mini bag of chips, 3 pieces of tooth rotting sugar candy, and 2 pieces of semi-quality chocolate (Reeses, Hershey's, Mars, etc) in each one.

We were going to do the full size candy bars this year, but decided against it.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,963 Posts
This is the one time a year I spend too much! I buy full size candy bars from costco, also fun dips and laughy taffy. We get a lot of kids, but I really enjoy giving out the big candy bars . We are in our forties and well established though, so it an affordable expense for us.
This is us. I can finally afford the full size bars. Plus we get about 30-40 ToTers even on a good year so it's not super expensive. I have other stuff I toss in a bag, Halloween rubber duckies, bracelets, stickers, etc. & they get the bag.

I buy the big bars when they're on sale & hide them. I then buy some decoy candy for my husband so he doesn't eat all the good stuff before Halloween. Usually the decoy is Reese's Cups.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Countess No - I don't know if you're interested, but Oriental Trading's website has a lot of things that can be given out to TOT'ers that I think are pretty neat, and their prices are pretty decent, especially if you get on their mailing list & receive some discount codes. They sell bulk candy as well as toys, glow items, stickers, etc. If we got the amount of TOT'ers that you do, I'd probably order stuff from them so I could keep costs down.

Since the most TOT'ers we've gotten (since 2008 anyway) is around 140, we do give out mini chocolate bars like Snickers, Kit Kat, Butterfinger, Reese's Cups & Take 5's (my favorite!). I also have Smarties, lollipops & some stickers in a smaller bowl for little kids or maybe kids with allergies. My husband is from a huge family & many live close by, so he also spoils the local nieces, nephews & neighbor kids by getting them all the full-size candy bars & letting them pick which ones they want. Sometimes we have some candy left over but we send it in to The Hubster's workplace & it disappears pretty quick!

I also think this year will (hopefully!) see a rise in TOT numbers since it's a Friday night! :cool:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Countess No - I don't know if you're interested, but Oriental Trading's website has a lot of things that can be given out to TOT'ers that I think are pretty neat, and their prices are pretty decent, especially if you get on their mailing list & receive some discount codes. They sell bulk candy as well as toys, glow items, stickers, etc. If we got the amount of TOT'ers that you do, I'd probably order stuff from them so I could keep costs down.

Since the most TOT'ers we've gotten (since 2008 anyway) is around 140, we do give out mini chocolate bars like Snickers, Kit Kat, Butterfinger, Reese's Cups & Take 5's (my favorite!). I also have Smarties, lollipops & some stickers in a smaller bowl for little kids or maybe kids with allergies. My husband is from a huge family & many live close by, so he also spoils the local nieces, nephews & neighbor kids by getting them all the full-size candy bars & letting them pick which ones they want. Sometimes we have some candy left over but we send it in to The Hubster's workplace & it disappears pretty quick!

I also think this year will (hopefully!) see a rise in TOT numbers since it's a Friday night! :cool:

Thank you for that suggestion. I am going to look at their stuff today, and see what they have. I'd love to get a massive amount of goodies to throw in the kid's bags, along with candy.

I love that your husband is into candy giving. What a great attribute in a guy!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is us. I can finally afford the full size bars. Plus we get about 30-40 ToTers even on a good year so it's not super expensive. I have other stuff I toss in a bag, Halloween rubber duckies, bracelets, stickers, etc. & they get the bag.

I buy the big bars when they're on sale & hide them. I then buy some decoy candy for my husband so he doesn't eat all the good stuff before Halloween. Usually the decoy is Reese's Cups.

Sounds awesome. That is another aspect I didn't consider: we would eat chocolate like crazed demons. And we would all have to hide it from each other and it wouldn't end well.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,963 Posts
I buy the Reese's because I'm not a big fan so I know I won't eat a ton of them. Last year the decoy was peanut M&Ms something else I don't like. Oddly enough, I'm the chocolate lover but I can manage to keep my hands off of it until after Halloween. How I do it I've no clue, but I do. Maybe because it's for "the cause."

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I buy the Reese's because I'm not a big fan so I know I won't eat a ton of them. Last year the decoy was peanut M&Ms something else I don't like. Oddly enough, I'm the chocolate lover but I can manage to keep my hands off of it until after Halloween. How I do it I've no clue, but I do. Maybe because it's for "the cause."
I am with you on that, but my pack of kids would consider a large stash of chocolate that they could not eat an act of war. They hand out candy under protest anyway. My youngest constantly mutters that the "kids don't deserve this!"

·
Registered
8 Posts
We usually just do the fun sized candies but would like to switch it up this year. Maybe throw some small toys or something like that into the mix. Hey, just gives us an excuse to hit up the dollar store.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I get those mix boxes of chocolate bars and a the box with the small chip bags at Costco, I think for the money it's the best.

·
aka Halloweenqueen
1,435 Posts
Costco has big boxes of York peppermint patties. They worked out great last year for our Frozen in Fear theme. This year's theme is Monsters (think Kaiju). I am at a lost over what to hand out. I was thinking GID superballs, but I am having trouble finding them in large quantities. We get 400+ kids.

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
We used to give out the little containers of Pringles chips, when they used to come in small tubes - for some reason as a kid I always loved the little containers. I always said if I was ever ahead of the game I'd make up wraps for them to change them into "Zombie Vertebrae" or something like that, but it never happened.

A few years back we started giving out Kinder Eggs because the Pringles were getting impossible to find in the little tubes. But they're a little pricey.

We also started giving out the little comics that the comic shops have started carrying just for that purpose. Most of 'em are smaller than real comics and I think you get a pack of 20 for $5. The selection wasn't great this year though.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts