Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi! We got a new 12ft skelly this year and my husband and I are excited to set him up, but usually I'm the one who comes up with the layout of our yard each year and I'm wondering a few things about adding this giant into our display. FYI, we have multiple trees in our front yard so our placement is somewhat limited.

We live on a corner in a typical neighborhood but we do not have sidewalks, and it makes sense to put him close to the corner so he acts sort of as an advertisement as people drive up or down the streets - but that would mean he's relatively close to the road. I want people to be able to get somewhat close to him for pictures, but not so close that they'd damage him or trip on the things that secure him. So a fence may or may not come into play. But I also don't want people to have to stand in the middle of the street (dangerous) taking pictures in order to get his full height in the shot.

1. Do you guys let people walk right up to your 12 footers and pose next to them? Have you taken any tried & true extra safety measures for this or were the materials in the box with him enough to keep him stable without worry? If you had a 12 footer last year and let people pose close to it, would you do it differently this year?

2. Did you take any additional security measures in your yard because of this purchase? Last year we had some prop damage when (probably) teens used a bat or stick and broke off a couple of our skeletons heads. We do have a camera now but obviously it's not going to prevent damage, only record it.

3. I've mostly seen photos where the 12 ft skelly was almost a stand-alone display - ie, off to the side of a house or walking a dinosaur or just perched in a yard waving. Basically in a lot of yards it seems like the skelly is the only display, you know? He will obviously dwarf our cemetery and tombstones as well as our cornstalks & scarecrow section, but has anyone seen a good way to display him IN an existing cemetery or cornfield type scene where he doesn't look out of place? I've been googling but mostly getting stand-alone pics.

4. It's obviously an attention grabber, but has anyone had any luck fitting him into your usual decor (regardless of theme) where you feel like he fits in rather than completely stands out? If so, any advice on how to make that happen?

I hope I'm being clear and I appreciate feedback. We have limited yard space and I like our display to make sense (as much as possible since obvs we have a fake cemetery in our yard, ha!) and flow together, so I want to find a way to add the skelly in rather than making the whole yard about the skelly if I can. And of course I would love to hear about any safety measures others have taken. Thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm eager to see what replies you get here since we too are setting up a 12-footer for the first time this year. Our current plan is to try and modify his hand (soften and shape) to make it look like he's pointing menacingly at folks when they're in front of our house. But on Halloween night I want to move him into the middle of the cul de sac with lights on him and have him point towards our house off to the side (my wife votes for the neighbors' driveway rather than middle of the street) since folks can't see our house until you're just about at the end of the street. We don't get any (fingers crossed) vandalism on our street; I've been bribing all the kids that are now teenagers with full-sized bars for years. I think we're just going to have to be zen about folks trying to take their picture with it but keep a camera on it in case anybody gets hurt doing so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm eager to see what replies you get here since we too are setting up a 12-footer for the first time this year. Our current plan is to try and modify his hand (soften and shape) to make it look like he's pointing menacingly at folks when they're in front of our house. But on Halloween night I want to move him into the middle of the cul de sac with lights on him and have him point towards our house off to the side (my wife votes for the neighbors' driveway rather than middle of the street) since folks can't see our house until you're just about at the end of the street. We don't get any (fingers crossed) vandalism on our street; I've been bribing all the kids that are now teenagers with full-sized bars for years. I think we're just going to have to be zen about folks trying to take their picture with it but keep a camera on it in case anybody gets hurt doing so.
Your plan for Halloween night sounds tremendous!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Regarding safety: My yard is sloped so last year I built and leveled a small platform for the base. I weighted the skeleton's stand with a bag of sand and, using the eye bolt near the top-back of the skeleton, ran wires from the bolt to stakes in the ground to keep it from tipping to one side or the other. I put a length of faux fence a few feet in front of the skeleton to prevent people from touching it. The fence was short enough to not be an obstacle for photos.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I'm in the process of building a giant lantern and I will be having him looming over my graveyard as a watchman. The prop is obviously not done yet but I posted a pic for scale
I love it! Are you using lightweight foam or balsam wood?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Why not leave him in the box and list on e-bay - isn't that what most buyers are doing? LOL
IF I owned one, I be tempted to lay him down on the ground, tied to the ground and surround him with a bunch of 16" skellys I already have OR have them carrying him away, on their shoulders, like ants.
My next, I would be tempted to set him on pillars, so TOTERs would have to walk under him to get to the house.
BUT, until he shows up used on craig's list, at a discount, not expecting to own one.
Jerseyscare

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
741 Posts
I got a 12' Skelly and a 12' Inferno new this year. I have a 24' wide arch that used to go over my driveway at my old house and has been in storage for 3 years. I'm pulling it out and building new support pillars for it. The Arch is carved with "Abandon all hope, Ye who enter here". It is going to be my Cemetery gate. I will have the 2 - 12 footers standing as sentries next to the two support pillars. They will be behind a fence, but close enough to the public to get good picks. Naming them Dante and Virgil... sticking with the Inferno theme already on the arch. I'll be building fencing/gate to go inside the arch. It is a visual entry, not a real one. Wanted to put it over my walkway, but trees are in the way. Garage at this house is in the back, but I have a MUCH BIGGER yard now.

(Pic from 2017)
Entertainment Facade Event Electric blue Stage

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im planning on having mine in a small graveyard with a short fence right next to the house. And locked to a ground anchor- since I remember some stories of them being stolen from people's yards last year.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the feedback & advice so far, guys! I appreciate seeing the pics & ideas - very creative! - and hopefully a few more responses will trickle in about safety as well as display possibilities. I think getting a lock on our skeleton's cables would give me some peace of mind even if we don't live in an area where I think it would really get stolen... So, I'll definitely be talking to my hubby about that one!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also have a corner house, directly in the middle of my community so I've got that big pillar (planning to put the smaller skeleton sitting up there holding a lantern). I have Goliath right on the corner to greet everyone in the intersection. People stop and have their kids get out of the car to take pictures with him throughout the day. It's fun. Someone even left him a pet cat skeleton the other day.

Rest of my yard setup is going to be a skeleton park scene. One being chased up a tree by dogs, a couple playing guitar under a tree, a family having a picnic, etc. My giant skelly is his own stand alone thing, but still fits the overall theme.

As for securing him, I picked up two 60lb sandbags at Home Depot today because I don't completely trust the stakes to be enough to keep him down if there's wind.

Plant Tree Art Biome Sculpture

His new friend haha
Plant Wood Fawn Grass Tree

·
Registered
836 Posts
I got a 12' inferno and my husband had the idea to do an "attack of the great pumpkin" theme. So inferno/Great Pumpkin will have Linus in his hands, up in the air, and his foot will be stomping on Snoopy, with the yard set up to match the pumpkin patch from the cartoon. Oh and inferno will have some yellow feathers sticking out of his mouth 😆

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh my gosh, @MEG4NTRON someone leaving your huge Goliath a pet cat skeleton is adorable!!! That's a future Halloween fan right there!

@Ladyfrog - as an adult I am cackling at the idea of yellow feathers in the mouth of your 12-footer to insinuate he ate Woodstock, but I know that if my DD10 saw that, I'd have to make up a story about how Woodstock had a very narrow escape and is now hiding safely in the trees! LOL!

I love how creative Halloween fans get!!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Oh my gosh, @MEG4NTRON someone leaving your huge Goliath a pet cat skeleton is adorable!!! That's a future Halloween fan right there!

@Ladyfrog - as an adult I am cackling at the idea of yellow feathers in the mouth of your 12-footer to insinuate he ate Woodstock, but I know that if my DD10 saw that, I'd have to make up a story about how Woodstock had a very narrow escape and is now hiding safely in the trees! LOL!

I love how creative Halloween fans get!!
We will have a non-scary option for the younger kids (route them to the side door). My goal is not to traumatize anyone 🤣

1 - 20 of 27 Posts