Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year is our 3rd year doing something big and we have a really good idea but if i go around telling people what were doing is there a chance that we might be copied. (lets just say our display takes alot of cardboard and skids)

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
If it's out there on the net, it's probably going to be copied at some point. It's happened to me a few times. I don't mind as long as they're not trying to turn a buck on it. Most of my neighbors don't do much for Halloween, so I'm not worried about there being a half-dozen animated coffins on my street. I just try to add stuff and change things around each year so that if one of the neighbors tries to emulate my display, they'll look like last year's news. One way to keep the copies from happening (at least for a year) is to not reveal your stuff until it's too late for anyone to make copies in time.

But that kinda defeats why we're here in the first place.

·
AntiChrist Superstar
1,418 Posts
I know its hard to keep quiet when you are sitting on something you are proud of and want everyone to know, but thats all you can do, is keep it hush hush. Otherwise, one of us will copy you. (that was a joke, I wouldnt copy ya, pal)

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
If you are planning to market your idea then I wouldn't post anything. We are all here to steal, I mean copy, I mean be inspired...oh well, you know what I mean ;)

I want people to copy me actually. I love Halloween but it saddens me to see so many store-bought props out there. With just a little imagination and help from forums like this you can make an awesome Halloween display. Then, when the little kiddies get all excited and get older, we have future haunters :) It's like planting a seed so-to-speak...an evil seed MUH HA HA HAA.....

Plus, I view it as a way to give back. I've gotten ideas from others and I feel the need to add additional ideas. I mean, just imagine how it must have s**ked to be a haunter just 5 years ago. It must have been a barren wasteland for ideas on the net. Eeeks, I probably wouldn't have even tried.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
I would't worry about being copied; I mean, isn't that the most sincere form of flattery? I myself have "borrowed" on-line ideas. The Dot Room comes to mind, and I also got the idea for the Bottomless Pit and Fog Chillers from on-line instructions. That's what the Internet is all about, Dude... Sharing ideas.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Of course it will be copied if its a good idea. We all draw ideas off of each other and in some cases copy exactly. If you don't want your ideas or projects copied, then don't post them publicly. Simple as.

One of the things that I personally love about this (and other) Halloween forums is that we all share our creative methods and ideas with each other. We all love to find and expand on ideas together. It's such an amazing collective mind set.

The only time this ever bothered me was when some slug compiled a cd of many of our tutorials and sold them on ebay for personal gain.

But know that if you put it out there for free (like many of us do), it legally can and probably will be sold.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've gotten most of my ideas from this forum and the awesome people that "haunt" here. That's the point of this forum I thought. I also tell everyone @ my parties that my ideas come from the GREAT HALLOWEEN FORUM and the GREAT HAUNTERS there and they are the ones that are responsibe for my successful parties!! Keep up the great work !!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I sure wish I lived in a neighborhood where people were excited enough about Halloween to steal decorating ideas!
I came to this forum in the hopes of picking up skills and definitely yes--borrowing ideas--in the hopes of upping my own haunting game and eventually being able to make my own contributions. I appreciate the way ideas and knowledge are shared here -- Terra's right on the mark about giving something back!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Do you mean copied locally or by an admirer of your idea online?
Online, I say have at it and try to improve it.
Locally, yea, that would bother me. But there's no one close who goes to the extent that we do, and we change ours every few years anyway...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The thing is that i dont really have much money so most of the ideas for our displays are thought up by me because all the other things on the internet cost sooo much.

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
Anytime you put anything out there it has a 50/50 chance of being copied. If you have a lot of Haunters who live nearby you may want to keep it under wraps if it is something new and you all compete. If you put your ideas on here there's a pretty good chance we will all look at them and it's a decent chance at least a few will copy your ideas and plans or at least log them away for inspiration. Copying is flattering! It means your ideas are awesome enough that other people want to use them :) lol

p.s. if you're terribly worried about copying, and not a fan of it, perhaps a patent is an idea to look into.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Take it from the bright side, someone said (can't remember who now) that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery...

·
Registered
630 Posts
The only time this ever bothered me was when some slug compiled a cd of many of our tutorials and sold them on ebay for personal gain.

But know that if you put it out there for free (like many of us do), it legally can and probably will be sold.
The nice thing about this stuff being out there for free, is that that slug probably won't make much if anything off of it, why pay when you don't have to.:D

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Spill it, what's the idea that your worried about? I haven't been here long, but I've seen a concentrated effort several times to make sure that the originator of an idea got credit for it...

Besides, if I copy it, what're the chances your neighbors will be driving through Utah and see the same thing at my house?

What's really cool, is that the people here know what they're doing so if you lay your idea on the table, they can offer suggestions on what works and doesn't work or ideas on how to make it cheaper so you can stretch your dollars....you get to throw your ideas out there and learn from everyone else's mistakes....or successes ;)

·
Sculptress of Scare
2,768 Posts
I sometimes worry that some yahoo will come along and make copies of my sculpts and sell them as their own. That's the risk I take by making my pics and tutorials available. Had it not been for this forum and my first glimpse of the talent and generosity of the haunters here, I never would have started sculpting.

I also feel a need to give back to the community that inspired me in the first place. Thanks guys....you made me what I am today! :)

·
~zombie hunter~
3,346 Posts
Well lets see, if you are worried about being "copied" this isen't the place to talk about it. We all have a love for halloween so we all come to share with eachother.That's why this place is here. I understand you have a small buddget- most of us do. If your idea involves cardboard and loads of pallets I can almost gurentee you it's been thought of before. I'v thought about using it for my haunt. The internet is full of millions up millions of peoples stuff. It's out there because people want it to be recongized. And who cares if someone recreates your haunt? I mean it's nice to be diffrent but there are people out there that have a strong passion for this stuff.

Point is, your afraid to share it, keep it to yourself.

(I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, just being truthfull and practical.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts