Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a cheap Airwhip /ankle tickler prop using a 2way solenoid and PVC piping. I rigged it up to a manual trigger. I have a 12 gal compressor feeding it directly into the solenoid. Now here is where I am stuck at, when I activate the solenoid it works at low pressure but too low for the whip effect. As the pressure rises, the solenoid no longer will open. I'm guessing I have a equalizer issue. But what do I need to do to overcome that issue and have it open at a higher pressure?

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
I built a cheap Airwhip /ankle tickler prop using a 2way solenoid and PVC piping. I rigged it up to a manual trigger. I have a 12 gal compressor feeding it directly into the solenoid. Now here is where I am stuck at, when I activate the solenoid it works at low pressure but too low for the whip effect. As the pressure rises, the solenoid no longer will open. I'm guessing I have a equalizer issue. But what do I need to do to overcome that issue and have it open at a higher pressure?

Thanks
Solenoid valves have a max operating pressure. Because they use the force of the flow to help them close they also need to be able to overcome that force when you power them to open. I’m assuming you may be exceeding that max operating pressure rating for your valve. You may need to use a larger valve if that turns out to be correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Solenoid valves have a max operating pressure. Because they use the force of the flow to help them close they also need to be able to overcome that force when you power them to open. I’m assuming you may be exceeding that max operating pressure rating for your valve. You may need to use a larger valve if that turns out to be correct.

I went off a prior list of parts that someone had posted on this site for his build. It was a 2 way solenoid 1/4 npt from monster guts. I think the specs are Flow Rate: 0.23Cv (Fluid Flow) , 22 SCFM (Air Flow) at 100 PSI. But I am sure that it is not getting even close to 100 psi before it fails to open. I looked a few minutes ago and it looks like I am using a smaller voltage adapter than is required. My adapter is 6 volts, it looks like it requires 12 volts to run it. Hopefully that will fix the issue?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I went off a prior list of parts that someone had posted on this site for his build. It was a 2 way solenoid 1/4 npt from monster guts. I think the specs are Flow Rate: 0.23Cv (Fluid Flow) , 22 SCFM (Air Flow) at 100 PSI. But I am sure that it is not getting even close to 100 psi before it fails to open. I looked a few minutes ago and it looks like I am using a smaller voltage adapter than is required. My adapter is 6 volts, it looks like it requires 12 volts to run it. Hopefully that will fix the issue?
That is definitely your problem right there. You need the right voltage for your coil. I believe the magnetism reduces by a factor of 4 when the voltage is halved. It’s been a while since I’ve looked at those numbers so I might be off a bit, but the point remains.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Definitely the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts