Halloween Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if the people that do scarier displays normally get mid range - to older kids? Or .. How do the little kids do?

I'd say at least 75 % of our TOT'ers are under the age of six, lots of toddlers, preschoolers, kindergardeners. We don't set up a scary display because of this .. More spooky, with a side of fun. This last year with the all of the skeletons and fog machine going, lots of kids put on their brakes and didn't want to come up and get candy. Once they got in the yard and saw the signing pumpkins they were transfixed though and didn't want to leave. So I guess for us, we are getting on the edge of too scary for most of our target audience.

·
Registered
302 Posts
We get mostly elementary school aged kids, I'd say between ages 6-12.

But we also get tons of little kids and teenagers, too. We set up a scary display, and if the little ones are too scared, I walk down and give them a treat as they stand at the edge crying in fear. (It's halloween, though, so I don't feel too badly for them.)

I am pretty impressed by the little ones who walk up the driveway and give them extra for bravery.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We do the same thing, walk candy out to little ones that are too scared. I have three teenage daughters that help, so it's not a big deal. This year I was thinking of doing one of the ghost dvd's and projecting onto the front dormer window to make it a little spookier. Then moving the singing pumpkings around on the brick patio .. The bushes would provide a natural barrier. Last year we had them on the front steps and we sat in front of them. They're cute, fun and the kids loved them .. I was so ready to put them to bed by the end of the night though. ;)

·
Registered
302 Posts
I would kill for singing pumpkins. I know what you mean about being assaulted by repetitive sounds during the ToTing.

Also, the ghost projection is another thing I would kill for. I think that alone would make a house awesome on Halloween night.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would kill for singing pumpkins. I know what you mean about being assaulted by repetitive sounds during the ToTing.

Also, the ghost projection is another thing I would kill for. I think that alone would make a house awesome on Halloween night.
I'm lucky in that my middle daughter is my technical guru .. She is great. She's a junior in high school, has taken all of the IT classes, drafting, mechanical drawing, both AP physics., Ap Calc, Ap statistics. She'll be going for an engineering major .. My strong suit is thinking it up, then she helps me put to work. :)

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I'm really not sure but I'm thinking most of ours are six and under. Or it may be that I just notice the little ones more. We get right at 500 kids and a good mix of everything from toddlers to teens.

·
Crypto Hunter
1,371 Posts
There are some pretty small kids who can barely get up our steps, we usually meet them halfway. I suspect it will be their parents who will eat the candy although we usually offer them a chocolate bar as well.
There are alot of older kids as well as the usual teens who, for the most part, actually dress up.
There are also some pretty rough boys, they have grown up in the neighborhood for the most part and they dont always dress up, unless a hoodie counts as a costume. LOL
But we have NEVER lectured or turned any one away and I think that is what helps to keep the riff raff from taking out their vengeance on our house and yard

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,369 Posts
Most are elementary aged kids. Our older tweens aged out of ToTing. If someone is too scared either the rest of their pack will get them something or someone will walk it out.

What a 5 year old finds scary is relative so I do what I like but I haven't done a lot of gore in forever. Mostly because it just doesn't interest me anymore, it's a PITA to clean up & it's just too easy & obvious.

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
We don't have a lot of real young ones as our haunt is pretty scary. The adults take turns holding the little ones outside while the other goes in. Most of our younger guests are between 8-early 20s, with just as many adults as children. Many adults come without kids just to go through our haunt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts