Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know of at least one other Western/Ghost Town theme for 2014, so thought I would start gathering ideas here, as well as posting progress. Today, I completed my ghost town jail backdrop that is going to cover a window behind my ghost sheriff. The backdrop is painted on a full-size white sheet stretched across a wooden frame. Keep in mind, my props are mostly very kid-friendly, as I have tiny grandsons who are who I mainly do it for (besides myself, our kids and their friends, and then the neighbors).

Another project, which I completed earlier, was to make these Big Lots lanterns look rusty by dabbing on different paint colors with a sponge. I used oranges, reds, and browns to change them from black to rusty-looking.

·
Margarita Goddess
5,440 Posts
Love them both! I got some lanterns like that at Ikea. Think they were less than $5.

·
Headless Hessian
1,056 Posts
PIB, you are off to a great start already. The ghost in the jail is so cool and those lanterns are awesome !! Great job on making them look rusted old.

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

Bethany, the lanterns were on clearance, so also under $5 if I remember correctly - great deal.

AMM - rattlesnakes are scary - I hope to find at least one sizable snake for the haunt this year.

frogkid, thank you for your compliments. I usually get something big done in February, and it is only the 1st!! It might be hard to tell, but the jail is about 5-feet tall.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Love the western carnie guy! I will keep my eyes on the lookout for things for you. I sometimes run across cowskulls and numerous western things. I remember seeing a coiled up and striking pose of rattle snake somewhere. Maybe I will run across it again. Let me know of any specifics you can't find. I am in Texas.

·
Margarita Goddess
5,440 Posts
PIB I swear a lot of things that go on clearence in other state NEVER go on clearence here. :mad: I was watching the led lanterns that everyone said they got on clearence at Big Lots, never went down in price here. :(
Love the rodeo Clown. Is you ghost painted in Glow in the dark paint? Loving what you're doing!

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really appreciate all the input and suggestions, Thank you!!

Printersdevil, Thanks, I am sure you have lots of perfect items in Texas.
Deadna, the barrel for the clown is a good idea.
Matrixmom, thanks for the link. I had not seen the HH haunt. It was really fun and was a great set-up. I really liked the TNT gag. Could be very doable. The panning for body parts was really cool too.
Bethany, no, I just used white craft paint on the ghost, but GID is a nice idea. Maybe I will add some on top of the white.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
PIB, they even sell dried cow patties (uh poop) with some grass under them. They are a novelty item for the person who has everything. We went out into a pasture and picked up a bunch and a florist donated enough corsage boxes one year for the varsity football team. We were playing a team called the Farmers in the playoffs. We put in a note that said Beat the Crop out of the Farmers. We had some flack over using the word crap so used crop and just lightened up the "o" letter.

·
Vintage Halloween'er
2,994 Posts

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
you did a great job on the lanterns....I tried to do that with one of the karaoke machines I got, it just looks like it has a big growth on it :(

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think this serves as pretty conclusive evidence that it ain't easy bein' a rodeo clown. . . lol
In all seriousness, nice execution, I like it a lot :)

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
printersdevil, that was a clever use of the cow patties, lol.
kelloween, when you view the whole walk-through of their haunt, it is an unbelievable amount of work. I was also checking out the cacti.
offmymeds, thank you. For the lanterns, I used this really rough sea sponge (sold with art supplies) and it made the rust look more believable. You don't press hard, and you don't want a lot of paint on the sponge.
jetskijigsaw, haha, and thank you, he is a favorite prop of ours.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts