Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished up my cemetery columns/gates for the front of my garage. I couldn't be happier with the way the turned out and thank this forum for ideas and tricks to put them together!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
I love your gate design JasonB. The skulls near the key area look perfect there and I'm sure eye-level with many of your ToTers. How did you manage to shape the arch for the main gate? Do you plan on the gates being partially open or do the ToTers have to open it themselves?

Can't wait to see what else you have planned for your netherworld.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love your gate design JasonB. The skulls near the key area look perfect there and I'm sure eye-level with many of your ToTers. How did you manage to shape the arch for the main gate? Do you plan on the gates being partially open or do the ToTers have to open it themselves?

Can't wait to see what else you have planned for your netherworld.
Thanks! I was actually thinking ahead when I made these. This year they will be used to block off my FCG to keep little hands from grabbing it LOL. Next year they will be "put to work".

For the arched gate I drew up everything in AutoCAD as I have a drafting background. Then printed it out full scale on architectural size drawing paper, cut out the arched piece and traced it onto a 1x6. Then I used my bandsaw to cut one of them out. Sanded it smooth and used that as my pattern to cut out 3 more pieces oversized then used a pattern bit on a router. Glued, nailed and clamped two pieces together to get it 1-1/2" thick, the same thickness as the rest of the horizontal pieces.

Once I got those all cleaned up I took another full sized template to mark out where the holes needed to be for the pickets then VERY carefully drilled the holes. It was a challenge to drill a hole perfectly vertical on a radius piece of wood leaning on a angle but I put it in a vice and lined up lines as vertical as possible and it worked well. Here is a shot of the AutoCAD file I drew up and used as a template:

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts