Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Items are you hoping to get done in the weeks leading to Halloween? How much time have you given yourself for each project?
This week I plan to finish the following:

2 more 8' sections of fence
1 coffin
Repair the "Pandora" headstone destroyed by kids last year.

What about everyone else?

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
This week it's putting a few things outside, like bats and spiders. I'll also piece my Bluckies back together, and see what needs to be fixed. Around here, everything is pretty simple, so "fixing" means gluing. :)

Next week I should be going back to work, if my son gets his medical release to go back to school. If so, then I'll be able to finally get to HD to buy the PVC for my candles and stanchions. I'll probably make the stanchions first, to get them out of the way.

Then the next week will be spent making about a dozen PVC candles, and maybe some papier mache Jack o' lanterns...the latter of which I really should have been working on during my 6 wks off of work!

I will need to make some more pipe insulation chain this year, since I have a larger yard, so that's in there somewhere.

I don't plan on putting much of anything up until the Friday before Halloween. I'm not even sure I want it up that long, with the way our neighbor talked about plain garden decor going missing from yards around here.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Well this week is head to the storage locker and sort out the bins and bring them back.

Next get the house decorated. This weekend I start inside getting everything out. Next week I do outside.

This weekend I also need to buy the candy.

And next week I have to start buying things to make cupcakes and Halloween treats. Plan the menu for Halloween dinner, ect I think I am going to make a taco salad since it's easy and fills you up. Then just have finger foods to pick at all night.

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
Well, my cemetery fence and gates are done, and have a solid coat of primer on them, so I still need to paint and weather them (probably later this week). Today I start on my cemetery columns. Aside from that, I need to finish assembling my fog chiller and piping system and give my giant spider a cosmetic makeover. If I have time after all that, I'd like to repaint my cauldron and make new coals for it.

·
Evil Wizard
2,141 Posts
As I'm undertaking a new commitment that will require a good portion of my time (grad school), beyond work and family, I've decided to scale back my plans for this year.

- Buy three rolls of garden fencing at Lowes. Weather them with a wash of black paint. Set it up around my small front yard.
- Build cauldron fog chiller (Have all the components, just need to assemble it.)
- Test out Optoma PT100 for a projector effect in upstairs double-window, but if that doesn't look good, then I'll probably substitute a pair of monster eyes a la Dave Lowe.

Foam window boards will have to wait until next year, unfortunately.

·
Seer of All
2,937 Posts
I've got to get motivated and get the repairs done on my witches. Not sure what happened up in the attic during the months of storage, but by the looks of my props, I'm thinking the witches and reaper got into a brawl and the witches lost. Got the reaper fixed up on Saturday, he wasn't too bad, but the witches are a total rebuild.

I also want to build a tombstone (or actually a coffin lid) peeper and I have a couple of hanging ghouls that I want to attach together so they will be dancing over the graveyard.

We'll see what actually gets done! ;)

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'm a big list maker - from Halloween to groceries, I'm always making and updating lists!

Halloween List for this week:

1. Buy tablecloths for seance parlour table (I know where they are I just have to get over to that side of the city)
2. Buy black light tubes
3. Figure out Carnevil and Misfortune Teller tenting
4. Light Snake Charmer area
5. Finish tombstones
6. Set up fencing/lighting for tombstones
7. Make crystal ball (almost done- just finishing touches)

That's the plan. Of course even list makers understand that a Haunt installation evolves depending on the weather, prop availability and time....never enough time....

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've got so many things to do I have a hard time keeping track of what's left to do. I was going to make a list just so I could check things off as they where completed and this was a nice reminder.

1) Build graveyard fence and columns. Done.
2) Paint fence pickets and rails. Done
3) Paint and texture columns. Todo.
4) Design and make 16 tombstones. 5 done.
5) Build and install Axeworthy ghost rig. 60% complete.
6) Re-build werewolf pneumatic prop with real pneumatics and steel frame. 10% complete.
7) Paper mache small giant spider. Not started.
8) Build three new PIR triggers. 1 done.
9) Design and assemble "Redneck Zombie" costume. Done.
10) Pour 20'x20' concrete patio to replace muddy hole outside patio doors. 5% done.
11) Make 30 LED mini spotlights in assorted colors. 3 done.
12) Make a list of projects that need to be finished. Done. Unless I remember something else.
13) Get off my butt and get busy. Todo.

Edit:
14) Build Zombie Shiatsu ground breaker. 90% done

Still working on 13.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This week:
- Start pulling the bins from where they've been buried over the last year and sort out what I am using this year and what I'm not
- Spray paint some of the small props that need painting
- Make my husband's costume, so I can get started on my own more complicated one.

I'll start getting really busy with putting out all the decorations in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
865 Posts
This week:
- Start pulling the bins from where they've been buried over the last year and sort out what I am using this year and what I'm not
- Spray paint some of the small props that need painting
- Make my husband's costume, so I can get started on my own more complicated one.

I'll start getting really busy with putting out all the decorations in a couple of weeks.
I'm curious - What kind of costumes are you making?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm curious - What kind of costumes are you making?
For my husband, I'm making a black cloak with silver lining and a mantle that he can wear with his top hat and look all old fashioned and dapper. :)

For myself, Medusa, with a bit of my own spin on it.

I'm a bit of a costuming nut. :D

·
Registered
865 Posts
Sounds wonderful - I hope you'll post pictures!

I once custom ordered an Elizabeth Bathory costume from a woman in Oklahoma. I emailed her pictures and we went back and forth a couple of times. Her workmanship was incredible and I use the costume (or parts of it) every Halloween.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I checked the layout of my wall bits today, so I need to: go get the materials, cut to length, set the supports into the bases, figure out how to connect at these odd angles, and paint or stain. This will be all week.

Need to put together the corn stalker - probably tomorrow.

Get started on busted latex grimrot prop repairs. Some time.

Start making some fake candles, or at least get the LED tealights, some new hot melt glue sticks, and paint.

Need to finish up my costume armor pieces, and find some new boots. Maybe a new shirt, since I wasn't happy with the one I wore last year.

I also need to start buying up all the corn stalks I can find. Got some in my Grandpa's garden I need to go collect before he gets too antsy - that's probably this weekend, since I'll be out there anyway. I just don't know where to put them.

·
Registered
865 Posts
How's everyone doing on their 'to do' lists?

I bought a black light assembly (wanted the tubes - couldn't find any), one tablecloth for the seance table and a rotisserie motor (not on the list but something I needed). I still haven't lit the snake charmer area (only some lights in the nearby tree), figured out the circus/fortune telling tenting, finished the crystal ball or the graveyard fencing/lighting. I tried to find more styro for the last few tombstones but had trouble finding ones thick enough. Finally found some at Home Depot but it was too big to fit in my car and I couldn't find a staff member to cut it down for me. SIGH!

Hope everyone else has checked off more items on their lists!

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
I had to go back to the last page and find my list first. Then I realized that I haven't done a darn thing on it!

I did get an extra two weeks off of work, but my son didn't get his release to go back to school tomorrow. He has to wait one more week.

I'm not sure how much I'll get done before he goes back to school--that depends on how well he can walk (he had a lot of work done to both legs to change the way he walks, for the better). If he's going to be trying to get up and walk around on his own, I'll have to stick close to him for at least a few days, till I'm sure he's got it down. I really thought he'd be cast-free, but they removed the big casts, and put shorter ones on.

My to-do list may have to wait till much closer to the big day. I may have to cancel this year anyway, because he'll be getting these second casts off right around Halloween. I usually set up no earlier than the day before.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Most of my things can't be put up until the day before the party. Outside props will either get soaked or blow away the the unpredictable weather we've been having and the other things will be in the way or fall, or break before the party. (October 19th) So, as usual, I am taking the day before the party off so I can clean/decorate/clean more/drink bloody mary's. But man oh man have I been spider-webbing it up!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Most of my things can't be put up until the day before the party. Outside props will either get soaked or blow away the the unpredictable weather we've been having and the other things will be in the way or fall, or break before the party. (October 19th) So, as usual, I am taking the day before the party off so I can clean/decorate/clean more/drink bloody mary's. But man oh man have I been spider-webbing it up!
If I had to put up most of my stuff the day before, I'd need more than a couple bloody mary cocktails. LOL!

Cobwebbing is something I try to hold off on as long as possible outside. I find that once it gets wet, it turns into a soggy, unspooky mess. I still end up doing it on the day of anyway since it's hard to have too much cobwebbing.. I also stock up on it all month long b/c one year all the stores ran out of it well before Halloween. Yeah.. Can you believe that? It's the same with body parts. One year I couldn't find any legs - just arms. So I almost always pick up some when I'm at the $1 store.

Does anyone have one of those cobwebbing guns? Do they work well? Are they worth price?

·
Seer of All
2,937 Posts
Well I got my witches repaired - sort of. I took the best parts of three witches and combined them into one. So I'll have one lone witch instead of three but I just did not feel like patching and painting the paper mache and clay on the other two heads. I did get the cauldron and burning coals fixed up a bit so it's less cumbersome and looks much better.

Tombstone peeper hasn't happened yet.

Hanging ghost got more cheesecloth and is ready to go.

Graveyard fence went up yesterday, along with the reaper and groundbreaker coffin. Today I'll start adding tombstones and groundbreakers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts