Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Wednesday, October 1st, is your official night of decorating, share what you're planning to do here. I feel as if I can't go all out until we've reached October so every year I set aside the 1st of the month to put my stuff up.

Here's my plan:

I'm gonna get a bottle of red wine, watch the season premiere of Private Practice and begin transforming my home in to a Halloween happening! I'm really excited, because I get to have the night to myself where I just get to go all out and celebrate the beginning of the season. My mom, who lives near Christmas Tree Shop...which always has SICK decorations...is gonna send me some new stuff in the mail that I can't wait to put up!

Anyone else have anything fun planned on the 1st?

·
The Halloween King
626 Posts
Here here.

I've put a couple of 'fall' things in the livingroom, but nothing halloweeneqsue until october 1st, partly i don't want it to get old by the middle of the month, and partly out of respect for other people in the house.

Wednesday i'll be lighting my brand new Pumpkin Spice Yankee Candle to celebrate the first of the month, the official opener of the season for me, the countdown sign will go up for midnight of Tue night so people wednesday morning see it, and i'll decorate the inside of the house mainly when i get in from work, which is early as i do late night/early morning shifts right now.

Stick on a classic horror movie and sit in the orange glow of my lights with my yankee candle burning and some hot cocoa from my pumpkin mug at night...now that i type it out it sounds kinda sad :/ haha

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dan...that doesn't sound sad! That sounds awesome. I got a tiny Pumpkin Spice candle for my desk at work haha, but I have one from Duane Reade that I have for home. I lit it last week though! But you're right, I think I'm gonna put my lights up in my room and maybe throw in Halloween after I watch my show, to get me in the mood. Fun times, dude!

Sounds cool, Jamie!

·
The Evil Spectre
1,220 Posts
WHAT...OCT 1st....!! WOW, you're cutting it awful close aren't you!! I'm just kidding....

For some reason, I was over anxious to get set up this year. I'm already done! I guess the excitement of building everything and cluttering up the garage got the best of me!! Now I'm finished with the setup, I have time to make more stuff or go buy more stuff! Our Halloween stores are just now opening!

I really got into the mood last night when I came home from work and A Nightmare On Elm Street was on!

I love pumpkin spice candles too... too bad my wife doesn't. I have to hide in a closet, curled up in the fetal position with the candle up to my nose to enjoy it!!

I really can't wait until October 1st to put things up. October 1st is my oldest son't birthday, and I usually spend the evening with the family, just having a small cake and family night for him, don't want to take anything away from him!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi Pumpkin Jack!

As much as I'd like to start decorating on Wednesday, I don't have much energy after work during the week, but I am planning to start on Friday. My routine is to start with a Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte and some kind of yummy sweet, turn on the Nightmare Before Christmas, light one of my new candles (Yankee Candle's Candy Corn), and I always decorate beginning around dusk until it's late.

I just moved to a new neighborhood, and last year we were the only ones living on our block - so our new neighbors might get frightened. I'll try to get some of the new kids to help me decorate outside though. I think that's the night I'll deliver my Halloween Party invitations - which should soften any complainers :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Me too!

I cancelled my afternoon appointments so that I can get started!!! I also plan on cracking open a bottle of red wine, putting on Nightmare Before Christmas, and lighting my Yankee "Pumpkin Pie" candle. I got a bunch of new stuff this year, so it will take me a bit longer than usual figure out where to put everything and to set up... I may even have time for Corpse Bride!

I'm in the middle of a few projects, so hopefully I'll have time to work on those, too.

I'll probably save my outdoor decorations for the weekend. It will buy me a few more days with the neighbors who are not quite as "into" Halloween as we are.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aviendha, That sounds awesome! I probably will pop in Nightmare too. I already have my pumpkin spice candle going now. I just bought some of those pillsbury pumpkin sugar cookies to cook on Wednesday too!

CMGHost, I'm sorry your wife doesn't like the pumpkin spice! Is there another fall scent she does enjoy?

Moonchicky, I love Starbucks pumpkin spice latte! Your night sounds like a blast!

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
Here here.

Stick on a classic horror movie and sit in the orange glow of my lights with my yankee candle burning and some hot cocoa from my pumpkin mug at night...now that i type it out it sounds kinda sad :/ haha
Not sad at all, it sounds WONDERFUL!!! We get a really great spice mixture from a little shop in Lexington VA (about 1 hour away) every year, and I can't wait to fill my spider mug with hot spiced cider!! THEN the season can really begin. :)

·
Registered
574 Posts
My original plan was to start on the 1st then my neighbor went and decorated over this past weekend. Argh! I was ready to get going on Sunday but Brian convinced me to wait til Wednesday. I begrudgingly agreed, I get so competitive at this time of year, especially with that next door neighbor. But Wednesday, up goes my jack o lantern on the porch, light up wreath on the door and the skel-a-mingos and change the pink flamingos outfit to it's Halloween one. Not sure what else. There is going to be some landscaping going on, so I have to wait until that is done to put out tombstones and that kind of thing. Also, I hope to send out my Halloween party invitations and the first of the Halloween cards on Wednesday too! And finally my secret reaper gifts, once the last of the goodies arrive in the mail to me. It's seriously killing me to wait til Wednesday!

·
Registered
530 Posts
While I'd love to start decorating on the 1st, in our neighbourhood that just isn't possible (I can't IMAGINE what would get stolen in that amount of time), so I always start on the Thanksgiving weekend :D So....still a week and a half to go, lol. I can't WAIT.

But of course, most of my stuff has to go out on the day of, because of vandals and theives. Which really sucks. I need a full-on security system and weather protection. Hmmmm...maybe I should look into a warehouse?

·
Registered
148 Posts
My rule of thumb has always been the first is when the blitz begins. I reminded my husband today that I would be full throttle with decorating tomorrow and he just looked at me like right. He knows for the next three months the house will be full of decorations and than on January 1 it all comes down with just as much gusto as I had putting it up. Halloween has always been the most fun to put up and Thanksgiving-Christmas is just kind of ho hum. I've come to appreciate Christmas more now that I have a youngster, he makes it much more enjoyable. Of course I will be fighting rain tomorrow so it's hard to say what I will be able to put out.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Tish -
My original plan was to start on the 1st then my neighbor went and decorated over this past weekend. Argh!
Tell me about it! My neighbor up the street put out their pumpkin stake lights and some other pumpkin decorations on Sunday. Now, I'm all for Halloween decorating - but c'mon - don't beat ME - "MOI" to the punch :) LOL. My husband had to hold me back too - because I told him that when I decorate - it will be on like Donkey Kong.

·
Creepin When Your Sleepin
1,143 Posts
I haven't started doing anything yet slowly start putting stuff out but like stated before I am kinda afraid of what will be stolen I have a bunch of punk kids that live on my block. lot of home made props this year (time & money invested) so if stolen or wrecked I would go johnny freakin bananas on them ..... I think I will talk to one of them to put the word out for me not to mess with my stuff and I will take care of them come Halloween night (good candy)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts