Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,798 Posts
We've had one for a couple years. It's ok. It's more realistic than the stretchy cotton like stuff. My daughter started using it when she was 9 and she does a really good job with it. We use it on props but not walls. We use a pose and stay skeleton as a spider victim. The web has lasted for 3 seasons on it with no touch-up needed.

A couple things to remember:
Depending on your compressor you may have to adjust the air pressure a little to get it perfect. Remember to hold it upright otherwise the melted glue does not hit the air stream.

·
Super Moderator
5,919 Posts
I had one for many years before the glue gun portion burned out. It was neat, but a pain to haul the compressor and hose around....

I've since moved on to this style build (use slightly different models,but basic idea)

I also have a SPINNER drill attachment I tend to prefer for certain looks.

·
Registered
259 Posts
We got one years ago - went to Mangelsen's and David Mangelsen was doing a demo. He was super nice and told us all about it and even found us while we were wandering the store and gave us a freshly baked loaf of bread from the restaurant!
Anyway, his were incredible. Of course, they made the webmaster gun so he had plenty of practice. I highly recommend practicing with it on cardboard or something before trying it where you actually want it. You do need to play with the pressure to get the desired look - mine had big glops of glue at first. But they looked really good once I got the hang of it. Then we had stronger wind than they could handle and they blew away. I'm sure this was at least partly due to operator error. :eek:
Before the next Halloween our air compressor quit on us so I haven't had a chance to use it again. Hopefully this year though. I see they have the Webmaster II now that uses the blower port of a shop vac and a 1 1/4" tube instead of an air compressor. I wonder if that would get more uniform results?

·
black light queen
2,639 Posts
in my opinion this is the best way to make webs ... but be aware that you'll use a lot of compressed air

didn't realize that they have a new gun that uses a shop vac ... might have to get 1 2 try out :)

maybe the new version is better?

ordered the new version ... it is 40 watt ... the original is a 80 watt gun ... so theoretically the new version will only be able to output/melt 1/2 as much ... but there will be no waiting for my compressor ... but waiting for the compressor gives the gun more time to "reheat" ...

has anyone used the new gun?

amk

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
We are on our second Webcaster gun, the previous one died last season after 4 years. It works well, the compressor is a bit of a pain to haul around, but so is stretching the packaged webs to make them look good. I really like the look of the Webcaster webs, and they pull off most props/areas I have used them on. We also use the drill/rubber cement version, I really like that one for high detail/focused areas. The webs are not as robust as those produced by Webcaster and they need a dusting of powder to pop though! Actually both versions look better with a light dusting of powder.

·
Registered
76 Posts
dusting of powder

We are on our second Webcaster gun, the previous one died last season after 4 years. It works well, the compressor is a bit of a pain to haul around, but so is stretching the packaged webs to make them look good. I really like the look of the Webcaster webs, and they pull off most props/areas I have used them on. We also use the drill/rubber cement version, I really like that one for high detail/focused areas. The webs are not as robust as those produced by Webcaster and they need a dusting of powder to pop though! Actually both versions look better with a light dusting of powder.
A dusting of powder? I actually made a webcaster style gun last year but wasn't going to use it again because you could barely see the webs at night can you describe the type of powder and when you do the "dusting". I would love to see these better.

Thanks for the info.

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
I used Ben Nye "Ash" coloured powder because I have a large tub of it. It is similar to fullers earth powder. I would think talc may work, the pleasant smell may not be what you are looking for?? I stumbled across this when I was researching the rubber cement method, in fact one manufacturer sells a proprietary web powder. I tried it last season and it really does help to accentuate the filaments. I have a super fluffy make up brush, i dipped it in powder and then tapped the loaded brush over the webs.

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
How does the Webcaster hold up with weather? Say rain? I haven't read anything that says it can't be used outdoors so I'm assuming it must hold up semi-well...
As far as the Webcaster method goes, I think wind damages them more than rain, but we don't get a lot of rain here in the fall. I can tell you snow wipes them out!! :) I steady down pour may wipe out some of them?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've been using the Black Widow Web gun from www.i-zombie.com and it's perfect for large areas and outdoor use. For big webs to last outdoors, you'll want to run some fishing line around as somewhat of a frame for the webbing to hold on to. Otherwise strong winds will damage them. The webcaster is a good gun for small projects and puts out about 1.5lbs of webbing an hour. With the Black Widow, you can put up 6-7 lbs per hour. You will need good cfms to get that though. Another thing to watch for is the quality of your glue. You get what you pay for. For the best webbing, get the best glue you can get.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I rate the web gun 11/10

YES!!!! It's the best thing ever! I don't know what I would do without it!!! I highly recommend getting this tool. It's a whole lot better than using the cotton cob webs. It can easily be removed too.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.