Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally finished my cemetary fence and I want to put the spider webbing out but is it too early? Will it last well out on the elements until Halloween?

·
Mistress of Mayhem
1,673 Posts
Ours has been up for a couple of weeks now and it was fine (even with some wind) until this morning. The rain is coming down in buckets and it looks pretty silly. I will let you know how it all looks after it dries out. My only saving grace is that I got such a good deal on it off ebay, that even if I have to re-do it all, it isn't going to be a financial hardship, just a time and labor hardship.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,488 Posts
I always put my web-in-the-bag stuff out as early as possible. I want it to get blown around, rained on, twigs and smutz caught in it... it looks much more realistic.

The stuff is some sort of polyester so it's not going to melt or go away unless you get a hurricane or something. At the worst I have to re-string some drooping bits, but that really depends on where it's drooping at - if it's restricting the walkway so much that you can't get under it without stooping over, then it gets pulled up, otherwise I leave it alone.

It has been raining for the last couple of days - some very heavy and it's just looking better and better.
:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I always put my web-in-the-bag stuff out as early as possible. I want it to get blown around, rained on, twigs and smutz caught in it... it looks much more realistic.

The stuff is some sort of polyester so it's not going to melt or go away unless you get a hurricane or something. At the worst I have to re-string some drooping bits, but that really depends on where it's drooping at - if it's restricting the walkway so much that you can't get under it without stooping over, then it gets pulled up, otherwise I leave it alone.

It has been raining for the last couple of days - some very heavy and it's just looking better and better.
:)
Good thinking. I'll put mine up. Thanks all. :D

·
Registered
438 Posts
Well, some of my decorations blew away. Ya'll must be in California with me and talking about the same storm! We are seeing heavy winds and heavy rain all day today and tomorrow as well for a bit.

I ended up buying a hot glue gun and will retrofit the compressor to the gun and see how that does. I got a 3M 250watt gun for $45 from Amazon, picked up some glue sticks from minionsweb.com, so when they arrive I'll try it out. I am hoping, however, we wont see any more nasty rain till after halloween.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I live in Michigan...If I put webbing out now you wouldn't be able to see it at Halloween. In the next couple of weeks all the leaves will fall and get stuck in it!!!:(

·
Registered
237 Posts
What type of webbing are we talking about? Fabric or Hot glue??? I have the same question but thinkin about using hot glue this year!
I did hot glue last year. My initial experiments were a month or two before halloween, I did my house under the overhang on the walls and my truck beside the house. It did not last, it starts falling apart from the wind more than anything due to its softness and the fact that the overlaying of the strands dont produce a strong bond. Therefore it started to stretch and sag. Mind you they were pretty thick a looked awesome. So what I did was shoot the day before halloween. I covered a lot of area the trees, the sidewalk the house and some props. It looked awesome. I used uv reactive and a couple of uv canons and it glowed everywhere. Here is a pic or two

·
Registered
356 Posts
I find that if I put the bag webbing out early it loses the nice netted look I like and get's very stringy ... not very realistic.... but I do it anyways caust I can't wait!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Funny story..

Last year I walked into a grocery story after halloween to find all their halloween stuff on clearence on some back aisle. They had bags of webbing for 10 cents each! So being the hardy haunter I am, I grabbed a shopping cart and filled the ENTIRE thing. The check out lady was rather annoyed with this, as apparently she had to type in a code for every single bag. ;) I think it was 40 or so bags.

So this year I have relatives coming down for halloween. They will be showing up a day early. When they knock on the door I will be greating them with a bag of webbing and informing them that it is time to get to work.

Anyhow, we usually wait until the week of. I like the idea of letting it sit out wear a little. But I think more for me its just a logistics thing. Webbing is always the last thing to go out. I spend the entire month of october slowly setting things up, so webbing comes out days before.

·
Registered
438 Posts
ibjeepin, I sure hope my webs come out like that! Those look REALLY good! I bought the sticks from minionsweb.com, the UV ones, glow in dark ones, and black ones I think? Forget now.. or maybe blood red..I cant remember.

Couple questions for you... how many 4" long sticks did you go thru to get that web like that? I got a 250watt glue gun on its way, and my air compressor, although apparently at 2.8CFM at 90psi may be a little under powered, from demos I saw with smaller ones it looks like it should work. I can't imagine given the air I can push out with it that it wont work.

As for the UV reactive stuff, how did people like it?

Also, if you don't mind answering, I am wondering how to fill in a large open area, if it's possible or not.. I have a front porch with two beams on each side of the porch, the walk way in between. They are your basic 4x4 wood beams holding up the porch roof. I was thinking of webbing in between them. With the store bought stuff, a 200sq ft bag gives me a long enough string to do about 1/2 of one opening. I am hoping a couple glue sticks is all that is needed to do the same. I don't mind paying extra for more realistic webs, that's what it is all about, but I don't want to put $30 in glue sticks up for what I could do with $5 in store bought stuff.

Anyway, just your thoughts/ideas on how best to spread the glue/web around to make it look good.

Thanks

·
Registered
237 Posts
ibjeepin, I sure hope my webs come out like that! Those look REALLY good! I bought the sticks from minionsweb.com, the UV ones, glow in dark ones, and black ones I think? Forget now.. or maybe blood red..I cant remember.
So did I , I got a bunch of different types from them but ended up using a whole bag of uv reactive in the front yard. You can see most of it in the pics. The glow in the dark ones are nowhere near as good as the uv reactive and light, I bought some as well. I never got around to shooting the red nor the black.

Couple questions for you... how many 4" long sticks did you go thru to get that web like that? I got a 250watt glue gun on its way, and my air compressor, although apparently at 2.8CFM at 90psi may be a little under powered, from demos I saw with smaller ones it looks like it should work. I can't imagine given the air I can push out with it that it wont work.
I used a 200W gun but I have a 5hp compressor with a 60gal tank and it was running most of the time soy you may need to stop once in a while. I used a complete bag of 19 12" sticks. I got the 12" sticks and am happy I did, the hardest is getting a good stream started (it blobs to start) but once started you smoothly feed the stick until its gone.

As for the UV reactive stuff, how did people like it?
They loved it an so did I as everyone could see it at night. It actually glowed as much as the pictures showed, even being on the sidewalk no on touched them or ripped at them.

Also, if you don't mind answering, I am wondering how to fill in a large open area, if it's possible or not.. I have a front porch with two beams on each side of the porch, the walk way in between. They are your basic 4x4 wood beams holding up the porch roof. I was thinking of webbing in between them. With the store bought stuff, a 200sq ft bag gives me a long enough string to do about 1/2 of one opening. I am hoping a couple glue sticks is all that is needed to do the same. I don't mind paying extra for more realistic webs, that's what it is all about, but I don't want to put $30 in glue sticks up for what I could do with $5 in store bought stuff.
You may need a bunch of stick to really cover a large area. look at my fence how thick it was, that was multiple 12" sticks if I recall, like 4-5 but I feel the look is far better than any of the prepackaged webs.

I bought a 25lb box of regular sticks off ebay and tried them as well. I thought that they just were not the same, it could be the glue temp was different. My thought were that MW sticks seemed easier to shoot. And yes you can shoot large areas. you keep the air flow low and you can see the single strand while it shooting then you smoothly move your gun back and forth just like a spray gun, once it starts it just gets easier to layer. I will try the 25lb bag again.
Oh yeah, the stuff come of fairly easy from most things, I say most as the worst time removing was from my jeep, both the soft top and some paint, but the house, eaves, yard, trees, fence it came off easy. Go figure.
Anyway, just your thoughts/ideas on how best to spread the glue/web around to make it look good.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Great... so what PSI did you run it at? I saw one video show about 50. Does 90 make it go faster.. or just shoot further out... and of course.. if it shoots further out, does it cool before it sticks to something and thus not good to use 90?

My compressor is like a 1.5hp 3.8CFM at 40PSI, so hoping that will do the job. Like I said, I've seen videos with a guy using a 80 watt glue gun and a small blower fan and it worked decent for him, so I can't imagine it wont work, but with only a 6 gallon tank, i'll probably be running the compressor while I shoot. Which incidentally, I am new to compressors.. can you use the compressor while its filling the tank... or (especially in this case) should I stop, let it fill up till it goes off, then start up again?

Last question, sorry.. forgot to ask this earlier.. two parts... a) if you have to put a new stick in or b) if I have to stop to wait for the compressor.. is there any issues with "restarting" the webbing process when you've had to pause for either a or b (or perhaps a phone call, run to the bathroom, etc)... or can you just pick up from where you left off?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've had my web up for a week now, and although we have no issues with rain here in Vegas, we do get some extreme winds. My web-in-a-bag webbing billows out in spots like a ragged sail, but a little re attaching makes it look great.

The side benefit (mentioned earlier) of catching leaves -- and some insects -- is an unexpected benefit!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,488 Posts
I had to cut a dragonfly out of my webbing the other day. Darn thing pinched me trying to get it loose, but I got most of it off of the little booger and released it. :rolleyes:

If you get the webbing in the bag stuff stretched out good where you can see the strands well and it's not all clumpy, then the weather just adds to the realism. :) I'll have to try to take a pic when I get home today. Hubby did an outstanding job on his section and it looks amazing.

The webcasting with the glue sticks... I loooooove how those look, but I would need a compressor and still be freaked about the clean up. (web in a bag is just some scissors and about 10 minutes work to take down)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts