Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
85 Posts
Why not just make one ? Its not complicated or hard to do . ( actually , quite easy ) I made mine from a 40 yellow Stanley glue gun ... works great .

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
My thoughts on webguns, making or buying:

1: The more wattage, the better. More wattage = more glue spit out per minute = quicker job. This will be limited by your $$$

2: Adjustable airflow at the gun is a REALLY nice feature. Lower the airflow for more control and touch, raise it for broadcasting large webs. Just handy to be able to do that at the hand, not running back to the compressor.

Keep those in mind, and you'll be happy with your gun, I assure you.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the webcaster and Minions web entry level are about the same?
no major benifits of one over the other.

I know webcaster mentions adjustable air.
didnt see that mentioned on minions web.?

Anyone know how many watts each of these guns are?

·
Registered
510 Posts
I made this one and I have to say it works pretty good. One down-fall is that you use glue sticks like any other gun and if spryed to far in advance the webs turn yellow. I have been told to that thes are not hot enough for the northern locations. I live in Orlando, so I would have to say it is an entry level gun. Here is the link if your interested. You can buy the glue gun at Micheals. The rest of the materials at Ace hardware. Hot Glue Gun Web Shooter

·
Banned
85 Posts
LOL .. thats why I use the 40 watt'er . Not really 100 per cent positive , but , I did make one with a 80 watt and it seemed to turn the glue yellowish ( like it was overheating/burning it ) , right away , and the 40 watt'er , although it takes a bit longer to do .. the webs stay nice and clear . The other thing different I did , ( compared to the links directions/instructions ) was to make the copper air line more straight to the tip of the glue gun . I found that the more straight the air blast to the tip of the glue gun is , the less "splettering" you'll get and you 'll have more control at aim . And for air control , I was cheap and went with a brass air valve control used for distributing air flow for aquariums . ( and FTR - it works GREAT , is small in size , and has a rotary knob for adjustments )

·
Registered
127 Posts
Wattage

I think the webcaster is 80watts and the newer ones I think do have a adjuster for air pressure at the bottom of the handle.
The one we sell on our website is 200watts but we have it setup so you dont need to constantly adjust the air pressure all you have to do is tilt it up and down to control it.
Usually as a good rule of thumb 100watts is ok for small projects, not all glue guns run the same temperature either which is why you get that yellowish gooo.
Wattage just means how fast it gets up to temperature so many guns so many different temperatures.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ruined Props

Any web shooter, or web caster, or what ever you want to call them A L L have the possibility of sticking to props.

Probably what happend was you got too close to your props when you were shooting and the glue didnt have time to chill before it hit the props. :confused:

Here's a tip for ya, if you buy another webcaster which will probably have even a higher temp as the original webcaster is pretty low, get back a good distance from your props when shooting.

·
Bog Body
1,474 Posts
like Meyers Madness i made a webgun using the same tutorial from scary terry, and i live in Orlando too lol. works great. standing back enough is essential to not only good looking webs but to let it cool so it's not permanent. i could connect objects and walls about 4 to 5 feet apart by getting a good arc on the stream.

clean up, just roll your hand over it and it should come right off.

example of what it produces...

looks even better in dim spooky lighting

and one more

it's a blast (haha) to use and very addicting.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Cleanup webcaster

It's not very hard, you just ball it up.
The only thing that would make it hard to clean up is if you get to close to your props and hose them down then you could get too much sticky ness but as long as you paly it cool and start from a distance they are good tools.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I built the Scary Terry a couple years back and its been working pretty well. The only downfall is what everyone has expressed already which is the wattage, I have to stop every now and again to let it heat up. Kind of drags out the amount of time it takes to web everything.

·
Registered
285 Posts

OK time to chime in on this thread.

Webcaster, and most other web guns are knockoffs of my original design circa 1998 (posted as a how-to on the internet) and first offered for sale in '99.

Webcaster is not an 80 watt gun, it is a variable mode heater unit that will run predominately at 25 watts and cycle to a high of 125 watts for very very short blocks of time via thermistor.
It heats to 425 degrees, which makes it only good for high temp glues.
It uses a push method of shooting webs which causes a lot of flopping around, sputtering glue, and makes dense ugly webbing when it does shoot.

They bought our entry level webber at Transworld in 05 and started offering the knockoff in 06.

The Scary Terry how to, and most others on the net, credits the designed based on my previously posted how to ( off the internet until our patent is granted instead of pending ).

As far as adjustable air, yes, ALL Minions Webbers, (5 models for every user from entry level to full out professional) have adjustable air flow & run at 60 PSI and less pressure from your compressor.

It is important to have a flow control valve to allow you to control the webbing quality, how heavy or light you want it, if you want it as singular strands or as a more cottony bunching, and to permit you to shoot webs as close as 18" or as far awat as 40-50'.

All our webs are designed fire safe/food safe with fire retardants incorporated into the mixture, are usa made, are easy to remove from almost all surfaces tho we do not advocate using them on gilded surfaces, antique waxed finishes, oil paintings, or large open weave fabrics.

The webs we make are designed to not be sticky rather to use the surface tension and ultra fine quality of the webbing to follow surface contours to get the best footing and minimize possible adhesive gluing to contact surfaces.

If you have sticky webs, you are using an inferior product, period.

You simply get what you pay for at every level.
If someone tells you one size webber fits all, walk, no, run away.
Make sure you get a webber best suited to your needs as well.
Whether it be 80, 125, 250, 400 or 500 watt.
Heck, once you use it, you start doing more and more with it - think tool, not toy.

If you ever wonder what would be the best fit for you, please always feel free to call us or email us, I make it my business to help you decide what choices would suit you.

I still have the original MW-1, 11 years later, it works, leaks a little now, but it still works. And we improved it LOTS in 11 years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts