Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any of you, used this web caster gun and does it really work? I struggled over the weekend with the junk in the bag and it is so hard to achieve a realistic web without it tearing all the time. I am trying to go from my roof to my hedges about 8 feet. Maybe it is to long of a piece. I just want to know if any have had any luck with the gun or have other ideas?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I made a web gun about 2 weeks ago and it is FANTASTIC. The webs that you create with it looks so real. I'm not sure if it will give you the effect that your looking for, but it can shoot the hot glue pretty far.

·
Registered
490 Posts
yes. i got the webcaster gun last year.. gunnna use it again this year.. perfect for the job.. and doesn't take long at all. but be sure to wear a glove incase the glue drips on your hand.. because it is hotter than heck =D

·
Mistress of Darkness
1,689 Posts
This is the first year I have ever owned one and I can say this, it uses a TON of those web/glue stick things! Make sure you have plenty cause they burn up really fast!

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,681 Posts
I have always been interested in these as well. Does this webbing show up well from lets say the street? Anyone have any pics of it close up or even far away? I have never used one of these but my experiences with just glue guns the glue is fairly transparent when it dries. I would think it would make it hard to see if that is the case.
Depends,if your make a dense "nest" of webs it can be seen from a little distance ,street, you can also get colored,glow in dark & uv sticks to enhance viewage. It does replicate webbing,so look at a real spiders web & theres your answer. Using the colored sticks really makes them visable.

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,681 Posts
I bought the webcaster last year & had fun,takes a little time to 1st get the hang of it & some time ,but you will go thru them,just having fun, they re a lower heat gun,so colder nights takes longer.I stepped it up this year with a minions gun at higher temp....WOW 6-8pds of glue an hr ! this thing (ccl gun) will make a spider jealous. faster webbing with 400 degrees for melting & with green glow & 12 hr glow sticks, really helps things take on a "life" of it's own !

·
Registered
647 Posts
Two main tips for webcaster gun users...

1) be patient and let the gun heat up well or else your first few shots will just sputter out globs.

2) when covering large or spanning areas, it helps to place fishing line in the area to give the web something to grab to. You'll save a lot on glue sticks if you do this.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I don't have a commercial gun, but this year I decided to experiment using a compressor I already have for some nailers. Using the "air gun" attachment, I just hold it below the nozzle of my glue gun.

I've discovered a little bit of a learning curve in regards to how far to stand from the prop, what angle to hold the gun/air hose at, etc....I seem to be getting the hang of it though.

Point being, if you've already got a glue gun and an air tank, you don't necessarily HAVE to buy or build anything new!

·
Registered
910 Posts
This is what my webs look like, i'm sure they will be fairly visible from the street and under proper lighting effects.:D

http://www.halloweenforum.com/attachments/tutorials-step-step/2398d1223058864-spider-webbing-without-commercial-web-gun-100_5803.jpg

As far as cleanup goes, i had success just picking the webbing off flat surfaces or with the use of a small putty knife. Rougher and more uneven surfaces require a little more picking as this stuff is hot melt glue after all and it does stick. I haven't experienced staining or anything of that nature.

·
Registered
135 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
I used maybe 6" of the 12" stick. It took me maybe 20 minutes. I would love to step up to one of the Minions guns as with their higher heat they will do a better job in the cooler october evenings that we get here. But as a starter gun for the price i am very happy with it..

As for clean up the glue comes right off..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts