Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alas I have search this forum far and wide and could not find a topic on this. Maybe I didn't use the right key words to search, or maybe I just didn't try hard enough, so I thought I'd start this thread.

I have quite a few power supplies that I took from various PC's around where I work since we were disposing of them. I'd like to use these in my haunt this year, but feel they would need to be made weather proof in case it rains. Has anyone ever done this before and what would be the best method?

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,433 Posts
I built one about 3 or 4 years ago using a fiberglass electrical enclosure and a bunch of multi pin plugs. It was a pain to do due to many wires and keeping track of everything but in the end it turned out to be a dream to use.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I built one about 3 or 4 years ago using a fiberglass electrical enclosure and a bunch of multi pin plugs. It was a pain to do due to many wires and keeping track of everything but in the end it turned out to be a dream to use.
You wouldn't happen to have a pic would you? I'd like to see it...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tupperware containers turned upside down with the power supply attached to the lid.
I thought about that, but there is an air intake fan on it, so I'd be a little concerned of it overheating because it couldn't get any air flow...

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
I basically just place 4 of them on the ground around the yard and put a piece of cement board on top that over hangs about 3" on all sides. Been working for the last 6 years for me and only lost 4 I think in those 6 years. Although I have been thinking it might be better to have something that was a bit more waterproof. :rolleyes:

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,433 Posts
No I don't have any right now .I may be doing another one this year and if I do I'll post some pictures and info on what I'm doing.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
The large tupperware container sounds great. I have an extra one here. I'm going to give it a try. The connections should not too difficult to attach to the side the tub and venting should not be difficult. I'm going to take pics. and post as I go. Will let you know how it's coming along and would take suggestions as I go. Thanks Nightfisher. I have been working on the box .Here are some pictures.I believe this is what you all are talking about.. I used chicken wire cut to 11"x 6" and 16"x 6". #6-32 x 3/4" machine screws and 1/8" x 1" washers to hold the wire in place and 1/4"-20 x 1" machine screws to hols the plywood in place. Next would be to mount the electrical supply to the boards. I'm going to mount Defiant 6 outlet, 1000 joules surge protectors to the boards, you could hook anything to them.
DSC05657.jpg , DSC05659.jpg , DSC05661.jpg , DSC05663.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
II actually did this once, long ago so sorry no pictures. I used a large plastic storage tub to house it. The power supply was mounted on a board with 4 standoffs; the board was then attached to the lid. We used round bulkhead connectors for the power and other signals in and out of the plastic tub. The venting for the required air flow was done by mounting 8 ninety degree pvc connectors in the side of the tub pointed at the ground, the pvc connectors may have been threaded I really don't remember, the lid sat on a couple of bricks and the tub part was placed over it. I lasted a couple of months outside at least until the project was done. It looked like a horrible kluge, but it did work. Science + no budget = strange ideas

Hope this is of some help,

Bill

·
Registered
814 Posts
I actually had a pc power supply outside for 3 years. All I did was put a brick under it to get it off the ground and a plastic box over it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I used an old UPS case it was large and plastic and kept my power supply dry for two years now. I also think a 5 gallon bucket from home depot with a lid would also work well and very inexpensive. you could make a shelve for the power supply to sit on and cut vent holes under the shelf to allow air flow. I think no matter what method you try condensation may be you worst enemy.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I like the Tupperware container idea... maybe leave it right-side-up, so the sides slope inward to keep the rain out. A few holes for ventilation should be good, and I would cut notches along the top lip to slide the power cord in. That way, you can snap the lid on and off as required. Remember... these puppies have 120 volts going through them... so be careful!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I did mine opposite so when it rains the water would run off and wire was used all around for ventilation and keeping animals out. DSC05657.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts