Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried my best to search through the site locally and via google, but still have questions on an enclosure for an outdoor projector. While masking it isn't the issue, I am needing something weather proof for a Minnesota fall.

I'd like to do singing pumpkins for just about a week. Per an earlier thread here, I am thinking of something small like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Home-Cinema-Theater-1080P-HD-Multimedia-USB-LED-Projector-AV-TV-VGA-HDMI-US-/111697247681?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368 with an SD card. I think I could have an outdoor speaker set up so as to not have to worry about letting the speakers have vents.

I was thinking of converting a rubber tub and using a small fan inside. I did see this:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/63/a7/19/63a71987d2d1afc60857b95305035353.jpg

That being said, I am worried about condensation. Any tips or thoughts? If this would work, I might buy something hefty enough to lock and fasten in ground.

Thanks!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Be warned with that mini projector,it accepts 1080p input but it only projects at 320x240. Pumpkins do not need a lot of detail so it will work. As for an enclosure, you won't even need to install a fan in the tote. Have venting holes for it. Those little projectors (I have two) do give off some heat , but that will also keep the condensation from forming inside.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Be warned with that mini projector,it accepts 1080p input but it only projects at 320x240. Pumpkins do not need a lot of detail so it will work. As for an enclosure, you won't even need to install a fan in the tote. Have venting holes for it. Those little projectors (I have two) do give off some heat , but that will also keep the condensation from forming inside.
Totally agree with Icepick - I also shoot with the mini projectors, but their resolution is quite bad for something as detailed as the pumpkins. Before you build the protective box, get the right projector and practice the setup (preferably in the actual location) with pumpkins, paper plates, or anything of similar size so you can see the effect before things get too crazy around Halloween.

I'm working on an Emperor hologram for a Star Wars Halloween and tried a mini projector last night and it looked terrible.

<ICEPICK> You're in Indian Trail? I'm in Huntersville... Small World! Are you apart of any Builders Clubs in the area?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Does it have to be completely in closed or can you make it just rain proof. Kind of like a miniature lean tube or something to that effect? This is what I did.

image.jpg . Back view

image.jpg front view

This is actually rain proof but allows enough ventilation for the projector and t amp. The front view is actually covered in black jogging pants to allow the sound to be heard a lot better than drilling holes in foam. Plus at night you won't be able to see much of this anyways. The top isn't screwed down as it just sits there but I have an old rustic door knocker that will be placed on it to weigh it down. The top is remove able so that it is easier to wire and place everything in it. This will have a T-amp, 2 speakers, DVD player, and a projector in it. This is before I aged it so it looks a little better.

Also eerie acres cemetery made an awesome one but that is way out of my abilities.

·
Registered
668 Posts
image.jpg

image.jpg

This is all I use for my mini projectors. Open face to allow air and an overhang on the front for a bit more rain protection. I just put it one the ground behind a tombstone (bricks on top for repairs). My main projector is a different story and isn't easily accessible. Sorry for sideways pics, posted from smart phone, no one said the same for the user.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts