Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Scariest guy on the block
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a thought the other day. I was thinking about a way to make a weatherproof blacklight fixture. If you could find some of these fixtures, paint the case black on the outside. You would have an awesome fixture, with a way to protect the bulbs from moisture and damage!

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
My first reply post on this forum! :cool:
Rick12667 is correct. I had a science teacher that told me that anything made with plexiglass will not let UV light go all the way through. He even proved it to me by holding up a piece of clear plexiglass and clear real glass in front of a blacklight and man, what a difference.
My haunt has been in my neighborhood for 24years now and I use one normal old blacklight with reflector hung on the front of my house. I made a wood triangle box to put it in and glued a piece of glass on top of it (not cheap plexiglass) and it lights up my witch in front of the moon fantastic!
You can see the effect in the video at my site. My wife took this with the nightvision on but you can still see how bright the glow is on the house.
(I guess I can not post a link to my video because I am too new) If anyone is interested just PM me and I will send you the link.

The main reason for my response is that I have been using the old blacklight units (10-15 of them) outside in the weather for 24years without any issues. You can see some of them in the video also...
What I do is wrap them in clear plastic. My father had a huge role of plastic in the basement and I started using it. (not sure if it is the same stuff you can get in the harware stores now or not) I think it was for sealing windows in the winter. I think it is about 3mm thick? I wrap the blacklights in this plastic just like you wrap a xmas present and I ducttape the seams completely. I use the clear ducttape and I make sure the seams are on the opposite side of the unit away from the bulb.
The only holes are the ones where the screws mount it and after 24years, no issues with any of them.
If you are thinking about trying this make sure that the plastic does not touch the bulb itself or it will melt.
If anyone is more interested in how I actually do it I will put together a step by step when I get them out of the shed. I use 10-15 of them each year in my yard.

I have also bought a couple of these newer style units with the clear cover over them. no chance of the plastic touching the bulb. You still have to completely cover them with plastic to waterproof them but they work great also.
I have never had any heating problems. I have had a couple of ballasts burn out after a few years, not sure if that is bad manufacturing or because there is no ventelation inside the plastic. but out of 15, only two went bad. I can live with those numbers.
blacklights.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts