Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading about everyone's stuff already getting messed up due to weather, and I'm getting kinda worried!!

I plan to set up my outside stuff this weekend - but hell, we are expecting yet another round of bad storms and rain tonight and tomorrow - up to 6 inches in 1 day!!

My 5th annual big halloween bash is next weekend - approx 80 kids and adults! WTH will I do if it rains?!??! It's NEVER rained on our party....but I have a feeling this may be the year! :eek:

I live on the Ark/Okl boarder - we have 110 degree summers. Not this year. Never hardly got above 95. Rained ALL summer long. Absolutely the WEIRDEST summer I have ever seen in my 39 years!! Everyone kept saying, oh just wait, we'll have a hot spell before September is over - it'll hit us and we will all be dieing. uuuhh....nope. Didn't happen.

Now, it's Oct 8th, and we have had more days of rain than not since July. No one has been able to mow all summer! Games are being cancelled left and right. I am very afraid we will see many torn up props, rainy parties and possible a soggy Halloween - at least here in my parts. The high here this weekend is 50's!!! That is unheard of this early!!!! :eek: Plus, I'm beginning to think, we are going to see a bad winter.

I just noticed, we all seem to be having the same type weather, and I can completely understand, and ya'll have me contemplating putting out my stuff for the party - the DAY of the party!! :p

·
crossfit zombie
7,590 Posts
We had rain all summer.The hot humid nights we norm get were 45-50 in july at night.Despite the rain we had to mow alot so we did have some sun.Just not a hot summer at all.
I don't know what to tell you.I have put my wheather proff stuff out tombstones-coffin-fcg-zombie but everything else including my flicker candles I bring in everynight.If it looks like it will rain the stuff stays in storage.Lukily I have only had rain 1 day but my yard is a soggy mess due to a water leak-got that fixed now waiting for the shaded area to dry.

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm telling ya, if anyone put out anything in this wind we are having here today, it'd be demolished by now. It's gusting so hard out there right now - bringing a huge storm for this evening. Like I said I had planned to spend this weekend setting up, but may seriously wait until next Saturday before the party.

Just hate to wait that late and do everything at once - I will be wore OUT by party time. :( Darn weather!! LOL

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
Yep we got a flash flood advisory here atm too. :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
We haven't been able to put stuff outside yet because of the rain and the threat of more rain here as well. We have some indoor lights and decorations on window display, but that's it for now. We still have 3 weeks of Oct. after this, so maybe it will dry up.

·
Registered
363 Posts
We got our graveyard fence up last weekend, this weekend I'm off work and "was" ready to go get everything else out but they are forcasting Snow on Sunday here in Omaha NE. We just made our first series of 8 foam tombstones and are quite proud of them. It would be a shame not to be able to display them do to poor weather. We have to deal with the anxiety of adverse weather every year. We've been fortunate each year leading up to this one but I got a bad feeling for this year.

·
sasquatch
3,076 Posts
I live in Washington state where rain in the fall is the norm. I scotch gard fabrics and seal tompstones so they will not be wather damaged.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm jealous of everyone who lives where Halloween weather is potentially comfortable--I haven't known too many that weren't cold and/or rainy! We're having crazy wind here too, though--what is with that? I'm scared to even put anything on the porch.

253 Posts
Oh yeah - our cemetery fence & columns went flying/crashing in the wind yesterday! I was so mad! We just tie-wrapped everything together the best we could until the wind died down last night & then we got out the nail gun for the real repairs. Thank GOODNESS I took down our styrofoam Haunt sign yesterday morning in anticipation of the wind, at least that wasn't ruined... ugh!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yep, the wind whipped through my graveyard and sent everything careening across the yard. Fortunately nothing was damaged. My MM Reaper was knocked over and I was afraid he was going to be damaged but other than a seam where two pieces of burlap joined together opening up, there was no damage.

I had set everything up last weekend and then on Monday we had a day of rain (which was followed by those windstorms!) and all of the props had no issues (I constantly checked on my Reaper, but no worries). So today I reset the entire scene again, but it looks like there's more rain in the forecast.

FWIW, I checked with the Farmers Almanac and the Old Farmers Almanac and both are forecasting potentially wet weather for Halloween. Bummer. However, they didn't predict the wind, so there's hope (they have said this should be a rainy period...pretty uncanny how accurate they are).

Rich

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,640 Posts
We had horrific winds a couple days ago. Blew my witch prop down which was tied rather securely to the balcony railing. I just re-set her today. Calling for more rain this weekend and then really cold temps (low 40's) next week. As much as I want to put up my fence/columns, I'm holding off for another week, hoping the overall pattern improves. I really think we have some nice weahter to look forward to, and hope it's around Halloween. It's still early in the month so don't despair!

·
STARK Raving Mad
937 Posts
We suffered quite a bit of wind damage in the last week or so. Our facade is partially covered with 1/2" styrofoam panels, half of which detached. We got most of them re-attached, but one piece is, as they say, gone with the wind. BevAnn, if you see it coming your way, grab it and send it back. We also lost several rows or cardboard "shingle siding".

·
Registered
670 Posts
BevAnn- wish you hadn't mentioned the "R" word!! Oh boy, it's rained more days than not so far this Oct. I haven't planned an outdoor party in a few years..I know why now. The stress is too much! I just went today and bought tons of food, invites have been mailed, DJ is hired. There's no plan B! No way all these people are going to fit in my house. It's not going to rain....it's not going to rain....it's not going to rain. Are you having your party on the 17th or the 24th?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would be interested in knowing what you are using for props that get so messed up. Mine seem to hold up fine. In Louisiana, MO and we have had a ridiculous summer, kinda like Arkansas us there. Lots of rain and no warm weather. I designed my props to make it through the wind storm I guess. I had some Styrofoam headstone I purchased that lasted only one day and that was the end of that. I am not going to chase decorations..in my opinion once they are up I only want to check lights. I started making more of the fabric ones and now I am trying to come up with a way to add scary faces etc. Haven't figured it out yet but at least the ones I have aren't rolling into the street. Good luck with whatever you are working with.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My props are holding well through some nasty storms. For my tombstones I have them backed with plywood and use PVC pipe to slip over re bar. My hanging pumpkins have gotten tangled a bit, but nothing too bad.

Last year I didn't have the plywood backing and my foam got shredded, so this year I spent some time reinforcing my props and they seem to be holding very well.

·
Registered
148 Posts
We suffered quite a bit of wind damage in the last week or so. Our facade is partially covered with 1/2" styrofoam panels, half of which detached. We got most of them re-attached, but one piece is, as they say, gone with the wind. BevAnn, if you see it coming your way, grab it and send it back. We also lost several rows or cardboard "shingle siding".
We are making a castle facade and I have it hidden in the garage in pieces, I know the wind and rain would shred it. Ours isn't as large as yours so we can get away with that. Love the ghost town! I will post pictures of the castle when I get the courage to pull it out lol. Probably not till the day of the party.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Like Savagehaunter, I live in Washington State and the one thing we can always count on is the rain. Any props that I set up outside have to be weather proof. Luckily the past few years Halloween night has been rain freee. :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Here in Missouri, the wind isn't the issue. Right now we're under a flash flood watch...warning...whatever....from all the rain we've been getting. It's supposed to clear up after tomorrow afternoon and stay sunny *tho cool* for the next few days....then the rain kids back in. Sad. I *REALLY* hope that it doesn't rain the weekend of my party. I've got some outdoor activities planned, and I don't think there's enough room in the house for all the people we're inviting anyway. :p

·
Registered
212 Posts
We get either rain or snow with 40 degree temps about 50% of the time... last year was perfect, and since TOT actually falls on halloween for us this year (it's usually the saturday before) i'm guessing the weather is going to suck, mostly because i've been getting so excited about it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts