Halloween Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I understand that I need a fan to keep the projector cool but I don’t know what type of fan or how to or where to wire it to.

·
Registered
68 Posts
First find a fan. I'm thinking about 3" (70 - 80mm) diameter fan would be a good size where the intake and exhaust ports aren't too noticeable, but you still get good airflow.

The easiest way to do this is to find a fan that uses 110V and has a simple plug attached. You can plug it into the extension cord that's powering the projector. You may find these at a surplus store, or a resale shop. Otherwise, look online.

More common are 12V fans, found at the same places (surplus, ebay, Amazon...). Here's an example I found on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Protechnic+Fan+12V,+80+x+80+x+25mm+MGA8012UB-025+A

Then you need a wall wart power supply to power the fan - at least 1 amp - that again can plug into 110V. Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/inShareplus-Mounted-Switching-Connector-Adapter/dp/B01GD4ZQRS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1533059259&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=12v+power+supply&refinements=p_72:1248879011&psc=1

This example shows a wall wart that also comes with an adapter for stripped wires. Otherwise, cut off the small round plug. With a voltmeter, determine which wire is positive (12V) and negative (ground). You need to connect the fan wires to the wall wart wires - ground is black and 12V is usually red. If it has three wires (the third is used to allow the computer to detect if the fan is moving or not - you don't need this one), just use the red and black ones. You can connect the wires by soldering, or using small wire nuts found in any hardware store. Then use electrical tape to wrap the connections well, making sure you don't short them.

I'd locate the fan inside the enclosure at the exhaust port so that the air is blowing outward. This should be near the top of the enclosure since heat rises. The intake port should be opposite the exhaust port and towards the bottom to pull air into the enclosure and circulate it around the projector. Make sure you know where the projector's intake and exhaust is so that the enclosure fan isn't fighting the projector fan (i.e., the intake for the projector shouldn't be near the enclosure fan where they're sucking against each other). If you put a screen over the ports to camouflage them, you'll need to make sure to check them for dust blocking the airflow.

Good Luck!

41 - 44 of 44 Posts