Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of years ago I made a tree stump to hide my projector and electronics for my singing Pumpkins display.
Thought I would share how it went since I took photos of the steps to build.
So far 2 VERY rainy years in Seattle have not damaged my expensive projector while it has been inside the stump.
I have the Projector, DVD Player, FM Transmitter located inside

DSC00363.jpg
Here i have cut out the plywood bottom in a random pattern, cut several circles for the supports, note I have cut a concrete tube then stretched it (about 2/3rds of the tube) next photo shows the 2nd piece also about 2/3rds of a tube nailed on. You may be able to fins a larger tube and not have to cut the tube to create a larger cavity but my local Lowes had one size the day I purchased mine.
The trick is to make the inside larger than the biggest piece, in my case it was my projector, my only regret is not making it even bigger than I did so plan ahead.

DSC00364.jpg
Here both sections of tube are attached to the frame

DSC00366.jpg
Here I have cut pieces of Blue foam and glued to the outside of the tube, note over lapping is ok before shaping the stump, if you have bare spots thats Ok because the next step is to use Insulfoam from a can to fill in the bare spots.

DSC00367.jpg
Here it is after shaping with a ordinary hacksaw blade, Im sure you could use a grinder or a wire brush on a drill also to shape the stump

DSC00378.jpg
This photo shows the 2" tube I put into the bottom to run wires in/out for power and audio cables, I started with black paint to disolve the foam a bit then went with brown, green and grey followed by a coat of dry white wash to help bring out the shape.

DSC00385.jpg
Finished project with Projector running through hole below branch
I have the Projector, DVD Player, FM Transmitter located inside.

DSC00383.jpg
Another shot from the back of the stump showing the singing pumpkins video, I did have to shape the opening a bit more to accomodate the projection but not too much. To make the rings on the lid I used a hot hanger (From our closet) heated up with my propane torch and ran it around in circles.

Thanks for Looking!

·
Registered
365 Posts
great idea!

Do you have a separate level for the DVD player and a separate level for the projector? or are they sitting one on top of the other?
I'm thinking by the looks of it your only access point is through the top which would be a single level? Is this correct??

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
great idea!

Do you have a separate level for the DVD player and a separate level for the projector? or are they sitting one on top of the other?
I'm thinking by the looks of it your only access point is through the top which would be a single level? Is this correct??
Great question I forgot to mention any detail on that, I cut a hole into the bottom of the floor section for a 10" computer fan (110 Volt)
I have the fan blowing upward to force the air out of the hole in front where the projection goes outward.
Then the Projector drops in and sits on the next level about 4 inches from the floor, then I stacked the DVD Player and the FM transmitter side by side in top of the Projector. Having the corners of the projector sit on the 2nd level allows lots of air to run up from the fan and through the projector keeping it cool. Before I added the fan it did overheat so that was update #1

·
Registered
365 Posts
ah okay... kool. Thanks for the info.

I'm interested in trying this... I thought about doing a paper mache rock to hide a projector but Ive never liked the idea of a big ole rock being in my graveyard... a stump though would be a lot better.

Thanks for sharing this great idea.... and your final product looks awesome!

·
Scariest guy on the block
1,956 Posts
Wow! Great looking stump. You could hide all kinds of lights and audio/video stuff around the yard with those.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow! Great looking stump. You could hide all kinds of lights and audio/video stuff around the yard with those.
Yes exactly, I have a 2nd stump that I put an Arduino controller in (To the right of the stump with the projector lit). You could drop a bunch of power strips or speakers in them. I may make a few more maybe even a tall version where I could project a ghost video from. I also plant a different prop on top of one or both every year. In the photo below I have "Angry Alice" sitting on a stump (While I was testing out my Arduino controller) or Ill put a Zombie baby sitting on one. Ill have folks stare at the Singing Pumpkin display for quite a while and still ask where the projector is located (And still question if its really in the stump after I tell them) so Im very happy with the outcome.
DSC00384.jpg

1 - 20 of 44 Posts