Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are just on the finishing touches of making some homemade tombstones with pink insulation foam. We have painted them with flat latex paint and then did the tea staining method with black paint, water and a sponge. My question is, will this stand up to the rain? I would hate it if the great paint job just washed away. Do you put any kind of protective coating or spray on them to prevent this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Dryloack is normally used as a base coat that waterproof the stones. If you have already done all your detail and do not want to redo it then maybe a flat clear spray paint to go over everything and seal it all up... O and we need pictures!

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,099 Posts
Yep, Drylok is the way to go, but as 89Lt1 noted if you are beyond that stage (and it sounds as if you are), it may be necessary to go with something along the lines of a matte spar urethane.

If you've not yet seen them, some of Terra's tutorials on tombstone construction/protection might be worth checking out....one of the primary tutorials can be
found here.

·
Crunchitize Me Cap'n
1,654 Posts
Have y'all heard of rustoleum's never wet? I've been curious to see how that would work with gravestones.

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
I wouldn't worry about your paints washing away. I do the base coat in Drylok but then do subsequent accent painting (tea-staining, dabs of green, white, raw sienna - even airbrushed paints) and no worries. Paints used usually are exterior latex for the tea-staining, artists' acrylics for the accent paints and Createx water-based airbrush paints and they hold up fabulously. The stones are out 24/7 for 3 weeks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've used just matte clear spray paint on mine that are painted with plain old acrylic paint and they've held up for a few years now in rainy Oregon.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
For the most part, latex paint will survive rain. As for your aging, because it's typically paint watered down, you may run into an issue there, but its probably unlikely.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Have y'all heard of rustoleum's never wet? I've been curious to see how that would work with gravestones.
Always trust Terra in regards to stones. ALWAYS!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Never had an issue with paint in the 5 years since I made mine. Never messed with drylock - just plain latex exterior paint. I've done watered down weathering, too, and that just bonds to the paint beneath it, again, no issues. The only touch-ups I've had to do were when I accidentally scratched them or took a chunk out of them while I was shuffling them around. My stuff has been through some serious weather, too. You should be just fine with what you've got now.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,915 Posts
Never had an issue with paint in the 5 years since I made mine. Never messed with drylock - just plain latex exterior paint. I've done watered down weathering, too, and that just bonds to the paint beneath it, again, no issues. The only touch-ups I've had to do were when I accidentally scratched them or took a chunk out of them while I was shuffling them around. My stuff has been through some serious weather, too. You should be just fine with what you've got now.
I'm with you. And all of my home made stones are white bead foam. As long as that base coat of exterior Latex is nice and thick and your detail coats are also exterior latex, or similar waterproof craft paints the finish should be fine, though I would think having a coating of drylock would help them last a bit longer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts