Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Undertaker
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fence columns & Mausoleum were supposed to be re-fitted last summer but I didn't get to them. After sustaining a week of rain they are toast with the wooden seams expanding and splitting apart. Most of the structures are salvageable but some of the panels will have to be replaced.

Michigan Octobers are always wet & windy. I have used spray sealant and brushed on urethane to seal them in the past. I got six years out of them but I am always looking for more efficient ways of weathering proofing my props.

What do you do to weather proof your wooden structures?

·
A 1 man army of darkness
2,586 Posts
It kinda depends on the application, with my choice for what I'll use. Florida has many of the same problems with respect to the wet & windy part during October. As for cold, lol, I can't help you with that one. :D

These are my stand-by's when it comes to anything wooden, outdoors.

Non-laminated wood: Behr Water-proofing Wood Sealer is a good choice.

Laminated wood or subject to constant exposure: Sikkens Cetol Marine Grade Sealers are the best choice, in my experience. Pricey? Certainly, but well worth the investment for longevity & peace of mind.

·
A 1 man army of darkness
2,586 Posts
You can, with the Behr for certain. That's what I did on the columns prior to monster mudding them, & the fencing too, for added protection. I don't know about painting over the Cetol, honestly, never tried it. I would probably stick to oil based paints if you do though, & test on a piece of scrap first to make sure theirs no adverse reaction.

You could always skip the aforementioned sealers, and go directly with Drylock if your interested in painting the wood though. Anytime, O.L. Always happy to help! ;)

·
Undertaker
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks RHC.....gonna stay away from dry lock. I'm looking closely at the sealants....perhaps before &after painting. Just worried about getting too thick and wet get or not it will adhere . Its gotta be able to expand and contract

1 - 6 of 6 Posts