Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hope you have room. No such thing as a mini-pig. That slab of bacon is gonna be over 100lbs in a year or two!
I did a lot of research into mini pigs a while back as I also wanted one. Turns out you are correct. Most breeders lie about how big they will get. If you have a large house and plenty of land for them to play and roam I guess it's fine. But as it is, I have a two story house and my pig wouldn't be able to go up the stairs. :(

They are cute little things. I wish they stayed tiny like that forever.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. I did my research and found a great breeder. He has been raising mini pigs for ten years. I have been following his FB page for two years. Everyone has great things to say. I personally know someone that got a pig from him and hers is now two and he weighs 26 lbs. there a lot of scammers out there so you have to be careful. I went to his farm and met his adult pigs. The dad of mine weighs in at 28 lbs and is five years old. Mom is 35 lbs and is six years old. The breed is Juliana not pot belly. Mini pigs can get 200 lbs and still be mini. Micro or teacup can be up to 50 lbs. never get a pig from CL that's where the scammers are for sure. I have seen so called micro mini on there for $100 so that is a dead giveaway. The breeder I got from keeps great records and has been selective breeding smaller and smaller pigs. He has a great reputation on pig forums as well. He will not sell you a pig if you do not live in the country because people try to keep them in town and you can't have a farm animal in town. He also will take any pig from his farm back at any age if you can no longer keep them for some reason. His barn was so clean and did not smell, feeding troughs and water clean. He has 11 kids and they all take great pride in their farm.

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
Awww, she's adorable!!!!! Good that you did your research, witchy poo! The two pot bellies we had were supposed to be Pygmies and under 80lbs pounds *insert hysterical laughing here*...try 250-300lbs! We loved them, nonetheless. Our boar, Hamlet, was only 2 weeks old and about 1lb when we got him. He was one of the best pets we've ever had; gentle, loving and very smart(made the dogs look like Dumb & Dumber) We took Hammie camping & on road trips(as a young pig), he had a huge repertoire of tricks & was definitely a people pig~"One Fine Pig" for sure:D

Pigs are great pets~enjoy Petunia!!!!!

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,606 Posts
What a kewtiepie!!

I don't think people realize how big pigs can REALLY get because we see them that size or not much larger at farms or on TV but pigs can get GINORMOUS. There's a local rescue here that takes those "mini" pigs (among many other farm animals in general) & those mini pigs were hundreds & hundreds of pounds & almost as tall as I am (5'2").

The guy said that it's a good thing they're fairly docile & not aggressive because if they were they could really do some major damage. Which is what the wild boars are doing all over the South I think.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I am just so very envious of witchy poo right now. If I had known years ago of this breeder she found, I would likely have a pig right now, too. When I did my research on them, I got so turned off by the horror stories of all the abandoned pigs and how they all grew well over 100 lbs. I was wary of unscrupulous breeders and didn't know who to trust.

Many people don't know that pigs can be litter trained as they are clean creatures and don't like to mess where they live, contrary to the usual images of pigs always in muck and mud seen in books and television, and the "your room is dirty as a pig sty" idiom. They can also get melancholy and moody in the winter.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,606 Posts
They can also get melancholy and moody in the winter.
Can't we all though? Less daylight, more clothes, cold & ice. I think the pigs got it right on that subject.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Can't we all though? Less daylight, more clothes, cold & ice. I think the pigs got it right on that subject.
I know a few people that get like that. I send my mother flowers in the winter to brighten things up. I make sure my husband takes Vitamin D3. As for me though, I love the chilly autumn and cold, dreary winter. Love it, love it, love it. Much rather be in the snow than a tropical setting. If I knew how to knit, I'd knit that pig a sweater to brighten his day, too. :D

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RCAIG, mini pigs can get 200 pounds and still be considered mini. Micro like Petunia can get 50 pounds and still be considered micro. Petunias parents are 28 and 35 pounds so I hope she is in that range but if she gets 50 pounds that's fine with me. There is so many scammers out there that will sell you a mini and tell you it's a micro. You really have to do long term research on the breeder and go there, never have one shipped. You want to see the parents. I have been in contact with the breeder two years and have talked to people that he has sold pigs to. Everyone is very happy with their pigs and their size. My breeder also will take any pig he sells back at any time even years later.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts