Halloween Forum banner

181 - 200 of 1065 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Wow!! Amazing pirate props on this thread, great work IMU!! We have always wanted to have a pirate haunt but we went with Nightmare before Christmas instead. I think I would have a mutiny on my hands if the neighbors ever saw that I changed my haunt to pirates. Though I do have an idea in the back of my mind to keep my Nightmare haunt in the front yard and have a pirate walk through in the back yard. We have a huge yard with gates on either side so its the perfect layout. Maybe one day... : )

·
Registered
143 Posts
The fiberglass that tutorial is referencing is the conduit. The liquid nails and monster mud is what I used for texture. Because I didn't want to have to use a sealer, I added the liquid nails into the monster mud mix. When it was dry, there was no need to add anything over the paint when the project was done.

You can use the flex seal (like I did for my cardboard treasure chest) or the other brand. They also sell truck bed liner that you can brush or roll on that is the same material as the spray. You can use a varnish to protect the monster mud as well. It really is up to you on what you decide to use as a sealer.

I'm glad my pilings project is an inspiration for your next project. Hope this helps and the information is of assistance.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks for the kind words on the shipwreck prop. I've had people ask if I make these to sell ... for adults as well as kids/teens. I have been tempted to spend a night out in it like a kid's play fort. Maybe when the weather stays warmer. ;)

My website (in my signature) shows how I make most of my props. I don't post every project on the forums so feel free to check on my 'blog' if you have any other questions or shoot me a message. I'm happy to help if I can.

·
Halloween Nut
2,942 Posts
Love the planter, wondering if you could put two together (still giving access inside) and have a hole drilled in the end so you could put a bag of wine in it. The feet on them would help elevate them and could even afford you the ability of placing a board on top for serving (food or cups or more alcohol bottles) or for display. Would look pretty cool if you could do several lined up
or put ice in them and use them for beverage coolers. Great idea pumpkinpie.

At last ... I found the pirates thread! We do a pirate themed yard display every year. I'll have to keep an eye on this thread for ideas and projects. Everything looks great! Keep posting. :)

This was last year's big addition. Took about 3 months to build.

It's about 8Ft tall, 7Ft wide & 9Ft long. Breaks down into about 8 sections.
that is frickin fantastic

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
Ok guys what a great buy today: whole costume:vest,pantaloons,jacket,2 hats, buckles for shoes, and colonial wig for $10.50 Its excellent quality .
It looks like the kind they use for re-enactments.
Hubby even tried it on for size! He was all excited about the pirate theme again. Yeah!
IMG_0888.jpg

·
Registered
659 Posts
THXBOY and CYBER HAUNT: Are you two still around? I see you are in San Jose. I would love to check out your yard haunt. I live near downtown myself.
I was planning to ditch the pirate theme this year, but just couldnt do it. I have so many pirate props and costumes, it make it a little difficult to alter course. Maybe I'll just expand on it next year.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
how do you all make the amazing barnacles I see on some of the props? I'd love to make some but I don't have the slightest idea of where to start?

·
Registered
143 Posts
how do you all make the amazing barnacles I see on some of the props? I'd love to make some but I don't have the slightest idea of where to start?
I ordered a latex sheet of them at first. Then made a mold and started casting them myself out of clay. I use air dry clay for the ones on my shipwreck and just sealed them with rubber paint. You could always sculpt a few and make your own molds?

·
Registered
526 Posts
This might be a crazy idea but could you use styrofoam egg cartons or even mini plastic Easter eggs from DT as the base for barnacles? Add some clay or paper mâché over them with sections cut out of the tip.
(For those of us that haven't graduated to mold making yet.)

·
Registered
2,801 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
thanks folks! found the latex sheets....may have to get crafty! we haven't fully decided yet what theme we will be doing thisyear (new city, new home) but I want to be prepared if we revisit pirates

181 - 200 of 1065 Posts