Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I’m new at using MP3 players as sound sources for props. I recently used WavePad to mix two .wav files I downloaded from freesound.org. The resulting file plays fine on WavePad and on Windows Media Player.

I then followed the instructions for copying .wav and .mp3 files onto a FAT32-formatted micro-SD card and playing them on a Flyrontech FN-BC04 .mp3/.wav player module I ordered from electronics123.com.

While all other .wav and .mp3 files play fine on the FN-BC04, the one .wav mix file I created using WavePad plays horrible screeches and chirps... as if I’d created a file designed to damage loudspeakers!

Any suggestions for diagnosing and fixing this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Try using Audacity (it's freeware) to create your new file. What class is your SD card? Some players don't like the cheaper lower class number cards. If Audacity doesn't work, try using a class 10 SD card.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bingo, David! I checked my WavePad file saving parameters, and the default settings were 44.1 KHz @ 24-bit sample size. I saved a copy of the problem file at 16-bit resolution, and the FN-BC04 now plays it just fine.

The device’s specs say it will handle multiple sample rates. They also say it has a 24-bit DAC output... which made me assume that my mix file should play okay.

The files on the micro-SD card aren’t assigned to the FN-BC04’s input switches as intended, but I’ll try to figure that out later.

Thank you so much for your help!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try using Audacity (it's freeware) to create your new file. What class is your SD card? Some players don't like the cheaper lower class number cards. If Audacity doesn't work, try using a class 10 SD card.
Thanks for helping me out with your great tips, J-Man. I suspect I'll be giving Audacity a try at some point. It sounds like very good audio editing software. In the future I'll pay closer attention to the class of SD cards I buy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
the problem your having , if i understand you right, is your trying to play a WAV file on a MP3 player... wave files aren't mp3 so they wont play... if your using wave pad just convert the wave file over to mp3. aka save it as a mp3 ,, then it will work fine,, takes all of 2 seconds

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
the problem your having , if i understand you right, is your trying to play a WAV file on a MP3 player... wave files aren't mp3 so they wont play... if your using wave pad just convert the wave file over to mp3. aka save it as a mp3 ,, then it will work fine,, takes all of 2 seconds
That unit will play mp3 and/or wav files. 🎃

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ahhh ok ... i missed that part,,, forgive me,, i was thinking it was a straight mp3 player.. had a friend that had the same problem, his problem was trying to play a wave file on the player ,, once we got him to convert it to a mp3 it worked fine

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
The one thing that I would say is worth considering in a multi-format player is what are you using the sound for? If it's a single sound being made as part of an animatronic jump scare, it's not a big deal whether you use mp3 or wav files. But for hours of play, MP3 is the way to go. The file size is much smaller and can allow you to repeat it as a part of your recording rather than telling the player to loop the sound.

The reason we do it that way is that all of our "looping" sounds that are set for all night play are actually 4 hour long mp3 files. They repeat every hour or so, but we use a program like Audacity to blend each hour into the next so that there is a seamless four hour long track. We go out at 5 in the evening and turn them all on. When they stop, we know it's nine o'clock and time to call it a night. I don't have to watch the clock, it's built right into the mix.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ltol, Chubstuff,
Thanks for your interest and sound advice. David_AVD’s recommendation to try restricting the audio file’s sample rate to 44.1 KHz and the sample size to 16 bits fixed my problem (my file which caused distortion was created using 24-bit samples).

The player’s manufacturer also got me squared away with correctly loading my files on the micro-SD card so the files are associated with the intended trigger switches. Apparently copying the files to the card one-by-one in the intended switch assignment order did the trick (the FN-BC04 completely ignores the file names (e.g. “001.mp3”, “002.mp3”, etc. when assigning switches).

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yeah, those cheap modules only look at the order of the files in the FAT and ignore the filename itself. The JQ6500 does it that way too.

Something else to watch out for with mp3 or wav files is some audio converter software adding incompatible headers to the files. iTunes used to do this and cause issues with some players.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts