Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here, so I apologize if this question has already been answered in prior threads, but what do you do to waterproof your props?

I live near Seattle, Washington, and October is usually pretty damp. In the past, I have used exterior paint and/or Thompson's Water Seal to try and protect props. The combination seems to work pretty well, but I'm very interested in starting some of the paper mache projects. How does one keep those safe from the elements?

All water-proofing suggestions are welcome. I've got lots of different props, and want to build many, many more -- so I'm open to all ideas.

·
Registered
591 Posts
there was in artical about waterproofing paper mache some woman in london made a bunch of objects and sealed them with diffrent stuff and spoke of the results if you google waterproofing paper mache I'm sure you can find it.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
read the whole article, it was great, and it looks like the clear winner is yacht (or boat) varnish. The paper mache coated with the yacht varnish withstood an entire year of weather in the UK. that's pretty darn good!

I'll be looking for some yacht varnish when I start building my paper mache critters.

DWD, thanks again for the mention of the article.

·
Registered
591 Posts
To clarify the list where it says name she had made a bunch of gnomes and named each one. and everyone your welcome

·
Registered
776 Posts
Funny never thought about boat varnish and after all those spring commissions on my fathers teak I should have. Aint that stuff expensive? Im playing devils advocate here what is the cost of regular Urethane vs the cost of boat varnish and is the extra month worth it. Excuse me while I investigate this.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
slightlymad, please let me know what you come up with. I'm really trying to learn all I can. I need something that keeps the color, doesn't turn milky, and doesn't soften, attract mold, etc.

I am partial to the oil-based varnishes. I've had mixed results with the water-based sealers.

·
Registered
776 Posts
WOW I had forgotten how expensive boating is.

1 Gallon of Minwax at home depot exterior flat is $9.97

1 Gallon of Interlux 95 Gold spare clear varnish (interlux is kinda a traditional boaters paint) is $94.95

i like my props to last as long as possible just as much as evryone else but DAMN

·
Registered
591 Posts
I think home depot and Lowe's has a spar varnish that is a lot cheaper.But ya I had to sell my wood boat years ago because boating isn't for the working man anymore.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Everyone, keep in mide that using the boat varnish gave you a year but not many of us leave our stuff out in the weather for a year. I leave my display up for a month so my plan is to go with the something more along the lines of a good exterior paint or exterior varnish. I figure that will give me 6-7 seasons before a do-over. I'll get tired of looking at the prop before I wear it out...............

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's a good point. I'm only going to have the props out for a month - at most. And I have no intention of setting them directly on the ground, either. I will most likely have them on stands, or on the roof.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I was thinking much the same our stuff is rarely out for long. We put out decorations and then a major transformation takes place on halloween. However, the type of storage you use should be taken into consideration as well. We use the whole house for storage and props are stored where they will suffer the least.
Attik(subject to extreme temp changes)-clothing, store bought plastic, some costumes,
Basement(damp), anything with latex, coffins, items with rubber parts
Garage, (part of the basement) on going projects, foggers, compressors, pumps
Shed(10x12 metal) all wood,fencing, furniture, grave markers, bodies, and any flammable materials (you would be surprised at how much we use is:eek:)

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm thinking of using fiberglass on a "paper mache project", that way it will last forever without a doubt.
Will probably be way cheaper in the long run,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts