Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on some PVC-frame props for the front yard this fall - maybe a gravedigger and cauldron creep. I'd like to leave them up all month during October, but I'm in central Iowa, so the weather is unpredictable. Any suggestions for waterproofing their clothing? I read that clear spray paint will do the trick, but I don't want the clothing to be too stiff. It's not the end of the world if they get wet, but I don't want to be growing mold or have them too waterlogged.

·
Registered
632 Posts
You could try Neverwet. I haven't tried it myself but they have a version that is made specifically for waterproofing outdoor fabric.

Reactions: ooojen

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's pretty cool. I see they sell Rust-Oleum Neverwet Fabric Spray on Amazon for $15. I'm probably going to use a mask on a styrofoam base for the prop head. Will have to spot test this on the mask plastic and hair to see what the effect is.

·
Registered
288 Posts
What about Scotch Guard? Some of my PVC props stay out in the rain and I haven't had any mold problems yet. I make sure everything is dry before putting it away though.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I know what you mean-- I've been hesitant to put up a lot of props because of what the weather can do to them. As far as clothing, it helps to use synthetic fabrics-- but I know how it goes. Sometimes the perfect-looking item at the right price just happens to be cotton.
Neverwet might be the answer. I, too, would like to hear whether anyone here has tried it for prop clothing.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Creepcakes excellent question as I live 3 hours from you. In Iowa you never know from day to day what the weather can be.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm working on some PVC-frame props for the front yard this fall - maybe a gravedigger and cauldron creep. I'd like to leave them up all month during October, but I'm in central Iowa, so the weather is unpredictable. Any suggestions for waterproofing their clothing? I read that clear spray paint will do the trick, but I don't want the clothing to be too stiff. It's not the end of the world if they get wet, but I don't want to be growing mold or have them too waterlogged.
Hey Cakes,

As you know i am also in central Iowa and you have seen the video of our display. Over the past 20 years we have had rain and snow and everything else. All the clothes for our props come from goodwill and salvation army. We have never had a problem with mold on ours. If it gets wet it gets wet....it will dry. Every year when we take it all down we put everything through the washer and dryer before putting it away. (with the exception of the tux and wedding dress from the bride and groom which we dry clean) Our display goes up over Labor Day weekend and stays up until Mid November and never have had any issues other than having to comb out wigs on characters and straightening things after a windy day. Hope this helps. Once we get it all set up this year I will get you directions to our place and you can come see it and perhaps share some tips.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts