Halloween Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am restoring an old 1970 Pythmouth Duster I have. I know what your thinking. I think you on the wrong forum. Well, hear me out. Since I am going to try and do the bodywork and painting the car myself. I found this stuff called "Bondo" most people may have heard of it. Bondo is a body filler for dents and holes in metal. It can be used on wood, steel, aluminum, fiberglass, and concrete. It's stronger than wood filler.

If you used wood filler before. Plastic Wood-X All Purpose Wood Filler with DryDex Dry Time Indicator, 16 oz. It's around 9 dollars. You know that it dries out. Even when you add water after it dried. You can get the product back. It's not as good. Bondo is around 9 dollars for an 8 oz or 16 dollars for 1 gallon at home depot. It is a two-part product that you need to use hardener with. It dries kinda fast. It's very strong. It can be painted by most paints it says.

I also found this other product by 3M who is the company that makes Bondo. "Bondo Bondo-Glass Reinforced Filler. I was using a metal hood with holes in it. It dries fast so you have to work fast. It is super strong. Ideal to repair metal, wood, concrete, masonry, and fiberglass. The quick-curing formula is sandable in 20 minutes. Fiberglass strands and fibers for a strong repair. I haven't tried on PVC or foam yet.

I wanted to put it out there. For people, if they were looking to waterproof something. Also to reinforced a prop. You would need a mask when using this stuff. It smells really bad. You should use it outside. I would use it not in the sun if you can. Use it when it's colder outside. I have to check. When I did it. I used it in the sun and on really hot metal. It started to dry in 1 minute after mixing the hardener.

You can watch a lot of videos on youtube of people showing how it works. I just wanted to put it out there for anyone. In case it might be the thing you are looking for. The best thing is you can buy it anywhere. Autozone, Walmart, and Home Depot.

I haven't look at it yet. If you making mold or model. There is also Bondo 1 qt. All-Purpose Fiberglass Resin. You would use this with Bondo Fiberglass Cloth or Fiberglass Mat. If I use any of the stuff on any props. I post the pictures and try to edit this post. If I have the time. I will post a video.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,480 Posts
This is the post I needed! Gonna bookmark it because we have a giant pink hippo my husband acquired in high school & she was damaged in some high winds many years ago.

She's not specifically for Halloween but I do dress her up for different holidays. We put her in the garage for the winter because we don't want her to collect water, have it freeze & make the cracks/damages worse.

All of these thing would be a perfect fix for her, but the fiberglass resin stuff would probably be best since she is all fiberglass.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I haven't used the fiberglass resin much but I have used their all-purpose putty for a number of years, A lot of people use it for cosplay costumes (armor and such) and to make props like guns and knives. When dry, and sanded, it has a very smooth almost plastic like finish and is both flexible and durable. I mainly use it over thin sheets of foam, poster board or cardboard when I have to form oddly shaped pieces for a prop.

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
740 Posts
I am familiar with Bondo from doing a bunch of auto body work with both my father and grandfather in the past. I've had the thought of using it on props, but have not had the opportunity yet. @netherworldforest thank you for sharing with those who are unfamiliar with the products. Hope to see some creative uses out there.

·
Crypto Hunter
1,387 Posts
This is exactly what hubby used to repair several resin tombstones earlier this year that had cracks and holes.
It works fantastic.
In fact two of the stones were almost beyond saving. One had the base smashed in 2019 when our large 6' heavy cemetery column fell on it during one of our infamous Oct. windstorms.
He restores classic cars and also uses it on our daily drivers so he has been using Bondo for years. He buys by the gallons

1 - 6 of 6 Posts