Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a "zombie feast" display this year with a bunch of zombies sitting at a table eating guts. I've cut a piece of plywood to sit on top of a long folding table, and I want to glue down a blood spattered sheet as a tablecloth.

Any recommendations for red paint which won't run in the rain? I used acrylic for all my indoor bloodstained fabric. Oil based will take too long to dry, and isn't watery enough to create drips/spray.

Use acrylic and then waterproof the sheet/tablecloth somehow?

I'm then planning to glue down plastic plates and create guts with spray foam. Stay tuned.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,084 Posts
Acrylic paints (real ones) are technically waterproof once dry. They are made from a plastic polymer that becomes basically a thin layer of plastic once dried.
But if you're using the cheapy paints in the squeeze bottles, they are very poor quality and not going to be deeply saturated (very watered down stuff - because more color/pigment=expensive) and they might be closer to tempra or watercolor paints than true artwork acrylics .

You may want to try latex house paint which is a stronger polymer for cheaper than artists' paint. Try using exterior latex just for the slight increased protections against weathering. I'd suggest getting a small pint and checking out places like ACE Hardware or such as they run free pint days sometimes. I've picked out deep apple reds, bright greens, ect in outdoor quality latex pints and they do stay bright and colorful for the stuff that is used outdoors (even use them for indoor props because hey, free awesome colored paint!). Even if you have to pay for it, getting a pint or two of exterior latex is going to last you a very long time and you can pick out paint chips so you know exactly what color formula to go get more of if you end up needing more... (I tape the sample paper chip to the side if I love it).

·
cheap and easy
2,294 Posts
I never tired it but it looks like you could mix in any type of fake blood (even cheap) with a clear coat (poly) and it would make it water proof . Also give it a level of shine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts