Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
aftergreatstuff.jpg 24650545650_f3425af4f4_o.jpg 24945954725_f44276c018_o.jpg

This years big project is a mutant pumpkin/gourd patch. Finding fake vines for cheep was not easy. I searched for method to make them at home but was not happy with what I found. I started to play around with some ideas and this was the best one of my mini experiments. Rope and Great Stuff. I can make 50' of vines for about $15. They are flexible.. I can tie knots wrap around my porch posts etc and waterproof. ~ Thanks for looking DZ

Materials
GSWD12oz.jpg
Rope - I used 1/2" natural fiber rope purchased at Mendards for 5.99
Garden Twine
Great Stuff
Tape - Electrical, Duct, masking what ever you have laying around
Floor Cover - card board, news paper garbage bags whatever works for you.

Tools
Rubber Gloves
Safety Glasses
Knife or Scissors

If you glue your face to floor or blind yourself I take no responsibility. Be smart be safe don't cut corners and use proper safety gear.

Get your area ready and prep the materials
You will need a space where you can hang the vines to dry. Ive done this in my basement using the ceiling rafters.
1. Cut a length of rope to meet your projects needs. You could do all 50' at once if so desired.
2. Pre-stretch the rope to get the packing coils out. Clamp it in a vice or tie to something sturdy. Stretch out the rope and pull as hard as you can.
3. Optional - Loosen the twists to make bulkier hairier vines. While I have the rope in my vice I place the free end into my cordless drill, set your drill rotate in the opposite direction of the rope's strand twist. Run the drill till the rope coils on itself. Release the rope from the drill chuck, be careful when you release it from the drill chuck as their is quite a bit of stored energy in the rope. The rope will untwist almost back to its original state. You will notice the rope has a lot of loose hair strands and the twists are looser.

4. Cut several 2'-3' lengths of the garden twine tie them to the vine at various points.

5. Place your ground cover down under where you will hand your vines.

6. Hang the vines from your rafters, clamp or whatever works for the area. The vine should be several inches from the floor. If your vine is longer than your hanging area, place the extra out of the way for now.

7. Put on the rubber gloves and safety glasses.

8. Starting at the top lay a decent bead of great stuff along the length of the hanging rope.

9. Smear the great stuff into the rope with your glove covered hand.

10. The best method I found was to cup my hand loosely around the rope and spay the great stuff into my hand as I slide it down the rope. Make sure the coating is very thin and occasional think patch is fine. You want to have as thin of a coating as possible on the rope.

11. Do you best to evenly coat the rope. You can always do a second coat if you missed an area.

12. Let it dry for about 30-40 minutes.

13. If you missed any spots you can just repeat the process. More than two coats may start to reduce the flexibility.

If necessary repeat the steps for the remaining rope.

Finishing the Vines

Paint the vines to work with your project/theme. You can spay paint it GS doesn't melt like other foams. I dip mine in a bucket of black paint and let it drip dry. Dry brush some white, then dry brush on several different colors starting with the darkest moving the lightest.
24919848826_38defdd4d5_o.jpg IMG_20160214_092155109_HDR.jpg

discozombie logo.jpg

·
Registered
13,833 Posts
Came out looking nice. I took a class through TechShop a while back and we used the Great Stuff for pools and ponds. It comes out a deep slightly purplish black color and dries to the touch in a relatively short amount of time. Mentioning it if it saves someone some time and effort painting it black afterwards. I'll come back and post a photo of it.

Can't speak for other types of GS but honestly the off-gasing during the curing period is not something I would recommend doing indoors without a ton of ventilation. We did our projects outdoors and I still found the fumes strong. Definitely not healthy to breathe in.

Here's a link to HD for more info on the Pond and Stone GS: http://www.homedepot.com/p/GREAT-STUFF-12-oz-Pond-and-Stone-Insulating-Foam-Sealant-283064/202522224

Here's a photo of it on a test project piece of chicken wire sculpture (we stuffed paper inside the wire to keep the GS on the outside BTW, could have also wrapped the outside and then applied):

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Came out looking nice. I took a class through TechShop a while back and we used the Great Stuff for pools and ponds. It comes out a deep slightly purplish black color and dries to the touch in a relatively short amount of time. Mentioning it if it saves someone some time and effort painting it black afterwards. I'll come back and post a photo of it.

Can't speak for other types of GS but honestly the off-gasing during the curing period is not something I would recommend doing indoors without a ton of ventilation. We did our projects outdoors and I still found the fumes strong. Definitely not healthy to breathe in.

Here's a link to HD for more info on the Pond and Stone GS: http://www.homedepot.com/p/GREAT-STUFF-12-oz-Pond-and-Stone-Insulating-Foam-Sealant-283064/202522224

Here's a photo of it on a test project piece of chicken wire sculpture (we stuffed paper inside the wire to keep the GS on the outside BTW, could have also wrapped the outside and then applied):

very interesting how flexible is the pond sealer? I was looking at it when I bought mine. I had to snicker when I saw it looks a bit like poop...;)

·
Registered
13,833 Posts
Haha. Yeah when you let it bubble up without doing anything to it it does.

It dries very lightweight like the other foam stuff I've seen but forms a hard shiny shell. So not flexible when dry, but waterproof. Didn't play with it when it was setting. You can thump your finger on it without any depression when it's cured and it gives a kind of hollow sound. It was my first time playing with any kind of GS so just was experimenting with it released straight from the can to see how it behaved. You had to be careful not to apply too much to one spot or it would take longer to dry and would kind of start slipping down probably due to it's own weight. Smelly and messy too. And you want to give it the smallest of trigger presses and quick releases starting out to see how fast it will come out of the tube and expand. As you indicated with your GS, definitely want to wear gloves and have lots of protection below where you are working with this stuff.

This version reminds me of a black oil. Maybe something from a tar pit. Now that's a monster idea in the making.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Trying to figure out how to adapt this to cover extension cords. That sure would make my life a lot easier especially since I tend to start putting stuff out before there are leaves. Maybe if I used this stuff instead of the rigid stuff you used. I have some on hand but haven't tried it yet, maybe this is the project I have been looking for.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Trying to figure out how to adapt this to cover extension cords. That sure would make my life a lot easier especially since I tend to start putting stuff out before there are leaves. Maybe if I used this stuff instead of the rigid stuff you used. I have some on hand but haven't tried it yet, maybe this is the project I have been looking for.

I was actually thinking the same thing. I think if you sort of twist rope together with the chord, and then follow the rest of the directions, you would have a way to readily hide extension cords as "vines" across the yard.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have been mulling the very same idea around in my head this past week, and am so glad to see it works! Seeing your project pictures has me feeling much more confident that this is going to work well. Thank you for sharing!
I am making vines for a jungle relic scene.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts