Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Psychic or Psychotic?
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've finally built my first animated outdoor prop, a Cauldron Creep, but now I'm looking for ideas on how to protect my ATX power supply. Up to now I've been an inside haunter.

I don't want to burn it out or electrocute anyone so I'm looking for some ideas on what type of enclosure others are using.

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
I've been using 4 ATX power supplies for several years now and the only weather protection I've done was to stand the supply on its side on a piece of wood (to keep it off the ground). The I have a piece of cement board about 12" square that I place on top of it. In 5 years I've only burnt out 2 supplies due to rain. My fear of placing them in an enclosed container would the restriction of air flow causing them to over heat and do a thermo shut down or worse, burn out.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I would almost be tempted to go out and buy a small Coleman cooler at a decent low price and then modify it. Cut some holes for cabling etc and maybe even a screened vent from Home Depot to allow air exchange for the PS. The lids on those coolers seem to make a pretty decent tight fit and they are all high impact plastic so no worries about moisture intrusion.......just sayin'

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,432 Posts
I would agree with slanks, the NEMA enclosures are made to withstand weather, You can get them in metal or fiberglass. Use the correct cord grips ,and you should not have any problems with weather problems. I'm getting ready to build one for a friend for next year and I'm using a fiberglass unit that will have a cooling fan in it also. It will house 3 power supplies, 2 relay boards-16 relays each , and I think a Prop-1 and either 1 ssc-32 or 2 of the Parallax boards and some larger relays for some of the larger props they are using.

·
Registered
151 Posts
just about to venture into the same task myself, was thinking about maybe using a plastic storage box. I am concerned with the air flow problem though, so putting it in a enclousure might cause problems with heat build up. basically its just keeping the rain from frying the thing , I might try the " roof method " . Keep us posted on how you decide to protect your atx supply.

·
Psychic or Psychotic?
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So after scoping out the weather forecast for the coming week and Halloween (mostly dry) I've gone for a simple plastic cover and base. The cover is a Rubbermaid trash can upside down and cut short. The base is a rubber door mat cut into pieces and stacked 3 deep. A piece of plexiglass sandwiched in between the bottom 2 layers.

It was cheap and quick to make things happen on time. If the weather takes a change for the worse I'll just pull the power supply off the lawn.

I did see some enclosures at Lowe's that may work but I just ran out of time this year.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i use several keptel enclosures for my controllers and power supplies

i dont use pc supplies but a number of 350W 12V switching power supplies.

i have one enclosure that would easily fit a pc supply i purchased at lowes a square box from their enclusre section

1 - 11 of 11 Posts