Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use any water features? What is your design? How does it work? What effects do you use with it? What climate are you prepared for (snow, wind?).

Let me know because we are having two water features in our home haunt this year.

(...and, um, Attn: webmaster: WATER is an atmosphere. Yes?)

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
No pics yet (because I haven't built it!), but I'm planning on having one of the skels "drinking" from a moonshine jug. Just got a medium-sized fountain pump, some clear plastic tubing, and a HD bucket for the skel to sit on. I'll tie-wrap him to a rebar post so he can't get up and wander away...

We're in DC, so it'll be toasty on our high unholy holiday. Doubt we'll EVER get snow again!!! :( I don't have to worry about the weather as much as I do the neighborhood punks.

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
Some people use puking props or spitting props. Is that a water feature?

I'm all smoke and mirrors.... err... so to speak. No water features although I did consider using mist in my trashcan pop up.

Oh, I do have a bubbling glowing jug in my science lab/witch table/whatever setup.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I've used a very large tub for a boiling blood scene. I hung a prop over it and then used a fish bubbler to make it boil. I put in red food dye to get the water red. It was placed on our front porch so it was warmer then if it was out in the yard. Though the porch is not enclosed. I filled it that night before the tot's showed up. We are partial to low 40's to the 20's for the night and windy, rainy or even snow. Minnesota can be real fickle. Never had a prob. and we dumped the tub when we shut off the lights so didn't have an ice chunk the next day.

·
Registered
994 Posts
The only "water" feature I've ever used was... well, wasn't even water, it was punch. Just a little pump in a cauldron filled with punch. Tube runs up through the top of the cauldron and through the head of a foam skull and out his mouth.

I'd like to incorporate water next year. SInce I'm doing a pirate-theme I think I could and should do something with water.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Last yr I had a lizard laying on a rock in a pond with a skull fountain. The water running out of the skull was a nice distraction from the lizard who really surprised everyone by spitting at them LOL We didnt worry about weather as it was indoors. There was no heat in the old house but it wasnt cold enough to freeze a kiddie pool.

I dont have a pic of the final project but it was almost finished this pic was taken.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Last yr I had a lizard laying on a rock in a pond with a skull fountain. The water running out of the skull was a nice distraction from the lizard who really surprised everyone by spitting at them LOL We didnt worry about weather as it was indoors. There was no heat in the old house but it wasnt cold enough to freeze a kiddie pool.

I dont have a pic of the final project but it was almost finished this pic was taken.
What did you use to make the lizard spit a mist of water?

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
The only "water" feature I've ever used was... well, wasn't even water, it was punch. Just a little pump in a cauldron filled with punch. Tube runs up through the top of the cauldron and through the head of a foam skull and out his mouth.

I'd like to incorporate water next year. SInce I'm doing a pirate-theme I think I could and should do something with water.
Now that you mention it... I did a fountain for our first Halloween party in the new house. Just a re-make of the project on the old ACC website. Had punch running out of the mouth of a Bucky skull and into a box-covered punchbowl. Loved it, but there was some splashback... The floor was a MESS from the spray! :)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Last year I had a head hanging on a hook and blood (colored water) was running down from the severed neck. Small fountain pump and ran tubing through the prop head. I also had a mist maker in the tub underneath, but it wouldn't function after I died the water red. I don't know what that was all about! You can see the head toward the right of the picture, next to the witch. I've also used the same pump in the past in a birdbath type fountain, pumping through a skull. I'll probably use the pump again this year in some fashion, and maybe the mist maker.

Don't have to really worry about it freezing solid at that time of year in Chicago.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,758 Posts
This is my first year for a water prop. I am using this venturi fitting I bought on Ebay as my mister for my giant spider. Not knowing how the weather in PA will be late October, I figured this was a safe bet since it creates a mist and not really a spray. I've got about a 4-5 foot range at like 50 PSI . It's only fed from the reservoir with 1/16" model airplane fuel line, so I don't have to worry about anyone getting too wet. :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
What did you use to make the lizard spit a mist of water?
it was extremely easy...an air compressor hose with a smaller hose poked into it. The smaller hose was in the water while the larger hose went thru the lizard and out his mouth. When I hit the switch to turn on the air, water is sucked up into the lil hose and then into the larger hose. Out comes a mixture of water and air ... mist :)

·
Registered
537 Posts
it was extremely easy...an air compressor hose with a smaller hose poked into it. The smaller hose was in the water while the larger hose went thru the lizard and out his mouth. When I hit the switch to turn on the air, water is sucked up into the lil hose and then into the larger hose. Out comes a mixture of water and air ... mist :)

Thanks..gotta try it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I tried to do a "Time Fountain" last year. Shown here by Nate True;YouTube - Time Fountain - Optical Illusion
I just used plain water and an adjustable strobe but only got marginal success. The strobe is annoying and I ended up shelving this idea. It is also a very small illusion but one I thought kids and adults alike would enjoy. I know I would love to play with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We put a blacklight under the eve/overhang of the house, then we add a blacklight/UV reactive liquid to the garden fountain water, the water glows in the entire fountain.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow!! Is that fountain for real or what, everything was convincing until the whole thing about reversing time & the water droplets hitting the pool looked as if they were in reverse. Regardless very cool indeed! I'm sure it wouldn't be that difficult to construct, though I bet it's a small fountain because it'd be next to impossible to get large water droplets created & released in a constantly steady flow.

Oh BTW: halloweenscreamqueen, you should consider yourself lucky for only having one thing to worry about, because it's a given that the weather here in KS is fairly unpredictable at any given time of the year and even moreso during the spring & fall. It has been anywhere from upper 60's w\ dry gusty wind, or so damn cold that my shoulders hurt from being out in the cold for so long shivering, but most often it's around the lower 40's and raining! And if that's not enuff, I gotta keep on eye on some of the older punk rock teens so that they don't try & make any of my props into one of theirs! It's lots of fun getting to deal w\ the double whammy! Though this talk of water gave me a great idea that'd prolly keep them at bay, which is my garden hose with my pistol handle water spray-er!! (j\k)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts