Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was my first attempt at a moving prop. Last year I had a pumpkin pail with a flicker light inside on top of a ghost.
And a static prop of a orange coat with welder's mask and a trouble light with red bulb in it. combining the two this year....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I purchased a used wiper motor for $10 from wrecking yard and began.
using the top of the welder guy and adding legs and wood with aluminum that plastic ABS pipe fit over nicely for the swivel. A eye bolt attached to top of aluminum and motor mounted to wood back board gives me movement.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps in hindsight I could have used fence for the chest rather than the coat hangers... but they were free and I had them!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found these orange rubber gloves and they seemed to suit better than the work gloves from welder guy last year. With the intent of having him at end of driveway for visibility I planned to have him point toward house... maybe wth a sign "treats this way"

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the "use what you have" thought....
I made lantern from the green LED bulb I bought for Barrel Zombie inside a plastic peanut butter jar and a frisbee for deflector.
It along with flicker bulb in his head gives great visibility after dark.
pumpkin man video

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The white plastic pipe is central vacuum tubing. It's cheap to buy and it accepts a fence T-bar post inside. Drive a pair of T-bars into ground and slide his legs down over them... no wood base required! Plus no amount of wind will blow him over. You can get 45's and 90's for it.
All available at Home Depot etc....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really like that. I'm looking at doing some more 'kid friendly' props this year, and I might steal this idea.
Thanks fowldarr! Go ahead and "steal" the idea.... I got it from people with "watchman props". That has been a concern of mine also.... not so scary that kids are traumatized, but not so lame they laugh... I think as long as it doesn't jump out at them.... it's good.
Not many older kids in my area.

That really looks cool. Nice job on your first animated prop.
Thanks HauntedWyo! Best part is it was fun and I got started with very little cash spent.
Mostly stuff I had and old clothes etc. Time is the biggest thing.... lots of that!

·
Registered
967 Posts
Thanks fowldarr! Go ahead and "steal" the idea.... I got it from people with "watchman props". That has been a concern of mine also.... not so scary that kids are traumatized, but not so lame they laugh... I think as long as it doesn't jump out at them.... it's good.
Not many older kids in my area.

Thanks HauntedWyo! Best part is it was fun and I got started with very little cash spent.
Mostly stuff I had and old clothes etc. Time is the biggest thing.... lots of that!
I think half the fun for me in making my own props is seeing how little cash I can spend in making something. If I can make a prop like you just did for under $50 I'm pretty proud of myself because I saved at least $100 by not buying pre-made. I feel like I cheated the system. Plus as a bonus recycling as much as I can means less stuff going into the landfill.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think half the fun for me in making my own props is seeing how little cash I can spend in making something. If I can make a prop like you just did for under $50 I'm pretty proud of myself because I saved at least $100 by not buying pre-made. I feel like I cheated the system. Plus as a bonus recycling as much as I can means less stuff going into the landfill.
I started that way.... but ended up buying several decent full head Zombie masks and some new wiper motors rather than screw with old crap from wrecking yards. I still scrounge all old clothes and boots etc that don't fit me or are worn out. I have spent more time than anything! But I am semi-retired and enjoy this so if I spend a few bucks.... it's my "hobby". Could be doing a lot worse things!!!

I totally get what you are saying as for years I had that mentality... scrounging stuff and saving everything...!
Still do somewhat..... but too a lesser degree.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
3 Participants
Krusty
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing