Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I was out back beginning to drag some of my stuff to the front of the yard when I bent over and lifted a tarp covering a large pile of pallet boards and I was eye to eye with a snake. At first I thought maybe my wife had stepped out back and was dangling one of the fake snakes at me but when his tongue retracted I was like uh oh, not a fake snake, it's the real deal.

Considering the fact he was a copper head snake I'm lucky he didn't strike at me. Instead he slithered away behind a large deck box. All I could manage to grab was a pallet board which I pinned him to the deck with. Unfortunately he got away before I could finish him.

The point of this post is not to glorify killing snakes but to remind those of you who have been stock piling materials outside over the past few months to be on the look out for snakes. Dry wood piles make great homes for insects and rodents which in turn attracts snakes. So be careful out there especially if you have little ones in the yard helping you.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yea yesterday my neighbor in (In raleigh Nc) was working in his garage on Halloween and found 2 copperheads in his garage.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Glad to hear that everyone walked (slithered) away unharmed.
As a rep keeper I would like to hear about it relocated rather than destroyed.

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
oohh, Face Dealers, we wouldn't get along, I'm afraid. only good snake, is a dead snake.

*shudder* I came face to face with a water moccasin in May while opening my pool.

glad to hear you are alright ezekiel!

·
spookiness in the suburbs
905 Posts
VERY timely reminder, Ezekiel! Glad everyone survived the encounter...

My first instinct is to kill 'em all & let their maker sort it out. That said, I do try to relocate non-poisonous snakes when they're amenable to the move :)

However, if it rattles or has a white mouth or looks like brown stained glass or has "red on yella kill a fella" it's dead and just don't know it yet. Too many kids and pets in my neighborhood to let the dangerous ones move about freely...

·
How about a magic trick?
1,002 Posts
wow, glad everyone is OK - not alot of big snakes where I live in south Florida, but where I'm moving in 2 weeks might have some - more of a rural area, next to a small lake!
I'll keep my eyes peeled :eek:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Thx for the tip...i am afraid im with the majority..I HATE snakes..i have only seen baby garters living in Texas thats pretty good for me..but when i was about 7 i saw the biggest snake of my life and i screamed bloody murder..i think he was scared more than me..my grandpa came out with a huge ax and cut off his head...luckly i escaped..l;ol

·
Registered
352 Posts
That is a good warning....especially at this time of year when you sometimes assume that the creature might be a prop....Happened to me one Halloween - I got home and saw this MASSIVE tarantula on one of the stones of the fireplace. I was just about to grab it to figure out how hubby had managed to attach it like that, when it scrunched down. Scared 20 years off my life - I swear!!!!!

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
Yeah, glad you mentioned the tarantula.

Lots of critters are either a.) looking for winter places to bed down, or b.) have been hiding comfortably in stored goods all summer.

So keep an eye out for all your favorite Halloween fauna - snakes, rats, spiders (especially widows and fiddlebacks/recluses) centipedes, toads, mice, scorpions and even bats.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
A great reminder Ezekiel, although as a "snake man" I'm with Face Dealers in that I'd much rather see them relocated than killed. remember a snake will only strike in self defence as a last resort or if surprised. They'd much rather slip away and avoid any confrontation.
Make plenty of disturbance around your woodpiles or tarps before lifting them so the snake knows you're there. Snakes are deaf but very sensitive to vibration. Be aware and take care.

This also holds true for UK and European members as our only venomous snake, the Adder, is usually looking for a place to hole up for the winter around this time of year.

·
Grand Poobah
2,899 Posts
If a venomous snake is in my yard or house, it is a dead snake.

I have gotten softer with age, meaning I no longer kill rattlesnakes in the road regardless of where they are... but around the house they are just not welcome. Babies and 4-legged friends to worry about, ya know!

---a couple years ago, 2 of our dogs were bitten by a rattlesnake. It was not a cheap event.

/grew up on a farm and the last thing I wanted was to be on the ground fixing something and have a slithery visitor!

·
Registered
449 Posts
You all are making me very glad that we only have rattlers in my area, and it's very unlikely they'd be in our immediate area. Our bigger concern is black widows - killed one by my front door when I got home from work today.

·
I make dead things deader
4,565 Posts
I hate snakes, thank God I don't live any place where I would find a copperhead or rattlesnake. Garters or rat snakes are about all we have. Although they say up in the mountains there are timber rattlers. They are just not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm glad everyone is ok. As yet another rep lover/snake owner, I am also glad to hear there was no unnecessary decapitation...although I understand the instinctual want, especially if you have kids/pets around. If you have some sort of wildlife rescue in your area you can call them and they might be able to catch and relocate the critter for you.

We have plenty of rattlers out here in the blooming desert, so everyone is generally brought up to be weary when working around wood piles/tapping the trail with a walking stick to alert sunbathing snakes to your presence/etc..

Unfortunately, these animals are steadily developing the loss of their distinctive rattle, as so many are killed by humans on sight when they reveal themselves in this way that the generations are gradually learning to not produce any sound at all. Which...ain't good.

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
I'll trade you that snake for the 400 gophers on my property. :p

1 - 20 of 37 Posts